Ref now admits his mistake

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I'm glad he decided not to continue the charade. Oh and him n packer fans can agree on one thing, Jay Cutler is an A hole

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...arthy-reaches-controversial-ref-wayne-elliott
One of the NFL replacement officials at the heart of the most controversial moment of the lockout said that Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy has reached out to him.

Wayne Elliott awarded Golden Tate and the Seattle Seahawks a game-winning touchdown Sept. 24 on a Hail Mary pass that appeared to have been intercepted by Packers defensive back M.D. Jennings.

The resulting firestorm is thought to have spurred the league to reach an agreement with the regular officials.

Elliott told Showtime's "Inside the NFL" that his phone didn't stop ringing for 72 hours. One of the messages left was from McCarthy.

"He called me at my house last week because he had heard I was having a rough week with all the calls and everything," Elliott said during the segment. "Wanted (me) to know that he thought what I did -- controversial and maybe he didn't agree with it -- (but he thought) I handled it with class."

Asked if he would stick by his call after seeing the replay, Elliott said: "I'd probably call interception. I learned a rule by ******** up the rule."

The league issued a statement after the game saying that Tate should have been called for offensive pass intereference.

Elliott said that during training he remembered being told that "you don't really call interference on a Hail Mary. ... You just let it go."

Despite all the controversy, Elliott would not trade the experience of being an NFL referee.
"I had the time of my life," he told "Inside the NFL."

This is a great article for several reasons. The most important is that it illustrates that Mike McCarthy is a standup individual who values morals and compassion over his job and the game of football. The second reason is that the Wayne Elliott has finally admitted that he made the wrong call. The third reason is that it highlights how infantile the NFL was regarding the call and their "upholding" of the decision. You lose NFL.

The final great piece in this article is that it shows that Wayne has and is weathering the storm quite well. It takes real guts to face the criticism versus crawling back into obscurity. I bet that he did have the time of his life and I'm happy for him. He is our Steve Bartman.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, it doesnt matter. its too late...and if this has any real playoff effect down the road, everyone will want to burn his house down anyway.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Saw the segment on inside the NFL last night. The guy said it was a life changing event for him, you could tell he had been having a hard time. Cracked a joke about getting MM's message because he wasn' answering calls from Wisconsin. MM is one classy man.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
REALLY! REALLY! Now he decides to admit his blunder that will forever go down in history as "Fail Mary"game. What a moron. At least he admitted it even if it was over a week late.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh noes! Not another "Give those scab refs. credit where it's due" thread.
Maybe I don't have as much class as Mike but then again, I'm not Mike.
Those morons, clowns and D-Bags don't deserve anything but our wrath. :mad:

And whoever the writer is, got this wrong:
Wayne Elliott awarded Golden Tate and the Seattle Seahawks a game-winning touchdown Sept. 24 on a Hail Mary pass that appeared to have been intercepted by Packers defensive back M.D. Jennings.

It should read:
Wayne Elliott awarded Golden Tate and the Seattle Seahawks a catch that appeared to be a game-winning touchdown Sept. 24 on a Hail Mary pass that was intercepted by Packers defensive back M.D. Jennings.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
at this point, it doesnt matter. its too late...and if this has any real playoff effect down the road, everyone will want to burn his house down anyway.
Even if it goes up to 10 bucks a gallon, that will be money well spent.
Hey buddy, got a light?

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I guess there has to be a statute of limitations on bad calls... :cautious:
Its called... Statute 180: wait till said team gets a win under their belt to come forth with revelation.

Reaction score
Actually Packer fans have a history of taking it out on their dog.

Not a problem in our house! We have parrots and with those beaks, I know all too well that I would draw back a bloody digit or two. I have a couple of scars to prove that fact. They're far more smarter than I will ever be, but I've trained them well......they're PACKER fans and unfortunately they will NEVER forget all the not so nice words that I used at the conclusion of that infamous Monday night debacle. That moment will definitely depreciate their selling price:eek:

Mighty Mike 77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's waisted time thinking 'bout the Bad Call. Wenn didn' t loose that Game because of that Bad decision. Instead of blaming the ref werden should realize, that we just played bad football. I think there were certain Situations we had our chances, but we screwed them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
i think it's waisted time thinking 'bout the Bad Call. Wenn didn' t loose that Game because of that Bad decision. Instead of blaming the ref werden should realize, that we just played bad football. I think there were certain Situations we had our chances, but we screwed them.

It wasnt like a play at start of the game or even in 3rd q, it was the very last play..If it happened way b4 then, the team would have had more time to recover and make a "play" to win..

But since it wasnt, we did get screwed

Mighty Mike 77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're right, the Play was the very last one... but i don't agree with you loosing the Game by just that single Play. There were enough plays before, and many mistakes done before that very Play, right? I just think it's too cheap blaming only the ref for the loss, although the Call was as false as it gets

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
you're right, the Play was the very last one... but i don't agree with you loosing the Game by just that single Play. There were enough plays before, and many mistakes done before that very Play, right? I just think it's too cheap blaming only the ref for the loss, although the Call was as false as it gets

Yeah I agree with you 100%

But that begs the question

If it was ruled an int----------who wins?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But there were several instances of bad calls. I started a thread on it a couple minutes into the 4th quarter, long before the last play.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have checked it out but it is still a fun myth like the Easter Bunny balanced budget or my vote counts.

I f you check it out, why did post it. I knew back in 1974, when Dan Devine told that false story to Time magazine reporter..
Yet it took Dan Devine until early 2000's to inform everyone in his book of his memoirs, that was his fault the his dog was killed by neighbor, because he allowed his large dogs to roam his neigborhood in rural town of Hobart just west of Green Bay. In the early '70's, Devine was warned by his neighbor and Brown County Sheriff police department to keep his dogs tied up. Devine did not do it.

Devine's dog was attacking his neighbor's ducks in duck pond on the neighbor's property. . The neighbor intended to scare the dog away for his ducks and accidently shot Devine's dog with a bullet from his rifle. Devine's neighbor raised Ducks.

The neigbor brought wounded dog to Devine and explained what happpened. Yet still in 1974, Devine still mis informed the Time magazine reporter about reall y what hpppened. This story in time magazine in 1974 really made Packer fans look very bad eyes of those in U.S. that really did know what really happened.

Mighty Mike 77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Longtime&Ivo

Of course both of you are right. But to me its the NFL's Fault with they're stupid lockout.

And if we would have played a better football, we wouldn't have to talk about an ref walking in much too large footsteps.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame refs, ever, unless they are intentionally making bad calls. I'm not an armchair referee who thinks that I can do better. I've been on the fields. I know what it takes. Those guys do their best. When I coach and/or captain sports teams, I tell my players that I expect their best efforts. I can deal with the less-skilled players giving me their best efforts, and that's all that we had with replacement referees....less-skilled officials providing their best. It's the people that put those less-skilled workers on the field that deserve our wrath. It's displaced emotion and aggression when you blame the stripes for not being perfect. Blame the owners. Go burn down Jerry Jones's house or your own (if you're a GB stockholder).

D

Dan115

Going through a divorce burning the house down sounds like an idea. YES, I am a stockholder. Will keep the stock in the divorce.

Members online

Latest posts