Record Rodgers is most likely to beat

H

HardRightEdge

I can't think of one.

In the long run, there are two key records he already holds that need to be built on year-after-year:

1) highest career passer rating
2) lowest interception percentage

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree with HRE. I dont see Arod beating the passing yards in a season record. He just does not have the amount of pass attempts each year to do so. Guys like Brees and stafford chunk the ball around 100+ times more and therefor get more yards and they also don't get pulled from the game when their team is up by 20+ points late in the games. Hell, A. Luck tossed the ball up 627 times as a damn ROOKIE. That is a lot to ask of a rookie. I could one day see him breaking some serious records as well.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I'm somewhat preferential to championships. I'd much rather see those than some meaningless 'records'.

Starr has 5 in 7 years ... that is the yardstick to measure by in my book, so Rodgers has get right on that. :) Times a wastin' I tell ya .. :)

H

HardRightEdge

I'm somewhat preferential to championships. I'd much rather see those than some meaningless 'records'.

Starr has 5 in 7 years ... that is the yardstick to measure by in my book, so Rodgers has get right on that. :) Times a wastin' I tell ya .. :)

A championship is much harder to come by these days when it requires 3 or 4 playoff wins to achieve it. This is another difficulty in comparing eras. Starr's 5 championships were achieved with 9 wins. The first 2 of the 5 required only one playoff win.

Further, in Starr's pre-free agent era it was possible to keep a winning team together year after year. Free agency and the salary cap now make that impossible.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree with HRE. I dont see Arod beating the passing yards in a season record. He just does not have the amount of pass attempts each year to do so. Guys like Brees and stafford chunk the ball around 100+ times more and therefor get more yards and they also don't get pulled from the game when their team is up by 20+ points late in the games. Hell, A. Luck tossed the ball up 627 times as a damn ROOKIE. That is a lot to ask of a rookie. I could one day see him breaking some serious records as well.

Sure. History shows under MM we'll run the ball enough times, whether it's effective or not, to make any passing yardage records unlikely.

So what? The only passing "volume" records I can think to care about are high TD counts and low INT counts.

Outside of fantasy football, taking quantity over quality is a mugs game.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Most sacks in a season. :)

Seriously, in the near future he is not close enough to any of the top records.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I was implying single season. I think the TD record is reachable

Some are just so far out of reach for today's QB's. Yards per attempt, but that would be big. Yards per completion, nearly impossible. Completion %, possible. Most yards. If you have that, you probably don't have a running game.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some are just so far out of reach for today's QB's. Yards per attempt, but that would be big. Yards per completion, nearly impossible. Completion %, possible. Most yards. If you have that, you probably don't have a running game.

Our attempts is pretty balance between running and throwing. The yards record is pretty overrated, you could have a bad year and still set it.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most sacks in a season. :)

Seriously, in the near future he is not close enough to any of the top records.

That is totally fine with me. Personally, for me anyways, nothing will ever top 2010. Ever and it will not even be close. Rodgers put on the single most ridiculous display of QB dominance in that playoff game vs. Atlanta. I'm a life-long Illinois and Chicago-area resident and they beat the hated Bears in the NFC title game. Then, as if that couldn't be topped, Rodgers wins a Super Bowl and the game MVP. This vindicated Ted Thompson, who I supported 100% from day one, and shoved it all up Favre's ****, then, today, tomorrow, and forever. Game over, case closed.

So, I really could care less about any records that Rodgers may or may not break or set. It's completely irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things, as far as I'm concerned.

H

HardRightEdge

Our attempts is pretty balance between running and throwing. The yards record is pretty overrated, you could have a bad year and still set it.
It would be pretty difficult for a QB to throw for 5,477 yards and have a "bad season" personally. What it does not do is assure playoff superiority. Sooner or later, a defense comes along that requires leaning on the run game more than you're accustomed to. Bad balance is likely to catch up with you unless you have a premier defense to constantly bail you out.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be pretty difficult for a QB to throw for 5,477 yards and have a "bad season" personally. What it does not do is assure playoff superiority. Sooner or later, a defense comes along that requires leaning on the run game more than you're accustomed to. Bad balance is likely to catch up with you unless you have a premier defense to constantly bail you out.
Brees threw for 5000 some yards last season and by my standards he didn't have a very good season. But again, we have different standards.

H

HardRightEdge

Brees threw for 5000 some yards last season and by my standards he didn't have a very good season. But again, we have different standards.

First it was "bad season"...now it's "not a very good season". First it was "MUCH HIGHER standaards", now it's "different standards". You're making progress. However, your standards look like fantasy league standards, not football standards.

I guess you didn't notice the NO head coach and some key defensive players were suspended, while several offensive weapons were injured. He held the damn thing together and won a few games. It was a good season given the very difficult circumstances. That you will not find in the stat sheets.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First it was "bad season"...now it's "not a very good season". First it was "MUCH HIGHER standaards", now it's "different standards". You're making progress. However, your standards look like fantasy league standards, not football standards.

I guess you didn't notice the NO head coach and some key defensive players were suspended, while several offensive weapons were injured. He held the damn thing together and won a few games. It was a good season given the very difficult circumstances. That you will not find in the stat sheets.

You seem to be implying that I'm changing what I am saying. Not the case, you need to pay closer attention to what you read next time. I will explain it again for you. "You could have a bad season and set the record" that was in a general context. Not a specific one like I commented on in a later post about drew Brees. Do you get that? General and specific? I'm talking about two different things. I thought it was clear as I said set the record then referenced drew Brees season last year.

You are telling me what my standards look like? Funny, bc it's clear you are talking out of your *** as Brees was actually the #1 player in fantasy football ball last season but here i am saying he really wasnt all that. http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaders

So please, tell me more about my standards

Again you seem to be stuck on some sort of emotional special touchy feely thing when talking about success in football. The team missed the playoffs with their below .500 record, Brees led the league in INTs and had his worse completion % in 9 years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Over 5100 yards and the team went 7-9

So a player can have a good/great season---but the team doesnt

However I dont care if Rodgers tosses 50 ins and only 10 tds if they win the SB

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

However I dont care if Rodgers tosses 50 ins and only 10 tds if they win the SB

I don't view Brees season last year as good or great. Leading the league in INTs is going to directly correlate to a 7-9 record.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Their defense set a record for most yards allowed....ever. They also gave up 28.4 points per game which was next to last in the league. I think that goes a long way in explaining the 7-9 record.

M

mayo44

I can't think of one.

In the long run, there are two key records he already holds that need to be built on year-after-year:

1) highest career passer rating
2) lowest interception percentage

The two are pretty much directly tied. If he owns one of those records, he will likely own the other one.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
of course their D was crappy, they spent a **** load of time on the field due to the offense scoring quickly. When brees throws 6 or 7 passes and moves the ball down the field to score that fast, their D does not get a break.

Members online

Latest posts