Recent Head Coaching Changes Prove It's GB's Time to Move On

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's pretty clear already that Dom did a terrible job. Two All-Pros walked away for pennies because our coach didn't know how to use them. And the defense was just awful, especially in crucial moments. McCarthy should have been forced to make a change years ago. It sure would be nice to have an aggressive FO that actually wants to win a championship.

Wasn't it TT's decision to let Hayward and Hyde go? I would toss Peppers in there as well. While I have been on the "Fire Capers" bandwagon" for awhile now, I can see where trying to decide if all the defensive issues could be blame on Capers, TT and/or injuries. In the end, probably was a combination of all 3. While MM is the HC, I am not 100% sure if he didn't have to consult with TT or others, before making a change at DC.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't it TT's decision to let Hayward and Hyde go? I would toss Peppers in there as well. While I have been on the "Fire Capers" bandwagon" for awhile now, I can see where trying to decide if all the defensive issues could be blame on Capers, TT and/or injuries. In the end, probably was a combination of all 3. While MM is the HC, I am not 100% sure if he didn't have to consult with TT or others, before making a change at DC.
They were allowed to walk because we had no idea what we had. Hayward has been one of the best CBs in the league since he left, and that's absolutely no way TT would had let him walk had the previous coaching staff been able to use him in a similar manner. Hyde also flourished after a position change. If watching the terrible defense every Sunday wasn't enough proof, this provides pretty damning evidence that our DC had no idea what he was doing.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say "Yes". Hanging on to Dom Capers for as long as he did, could be my biggest black mark on MM to date. However, maybe under Pettine we will see that the problem wasn't so much Dom Capers, but the talent that TT delivered him. If that ends up being the case, than the job Capers did and MM retaining him, doesn't look so bad.
When Hayward and Hyde go elsewhere and become all-pro players immediately after leavin Green Bay? That to me is the greatest indictment of Dom Capers. Lawrence Guy starting at DT in the Super Bowl?? He was drafted by us. Peppers was more productive in Carolina this year than he was with us. The terrible 2011 defense comprised the same personnel as the 2010 defense. How does that happen?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When Hayward and Hyde go elsewhere and become all-pro players immediately after leavin Green Bay? That to me is the greatest indictment of Dom Capers. Lawrence Guy starting at DT in the Super Bowl?? He was drafted by us. Peppers was more productive in Carolina this year than he was with us. The terrible 2011 defense comprised the same personnel as the 2010 defense. How does that happen?

Again, I am on board with blaming a lot of this on Capers, but that doesn't mean TT didn't have a roll in it either. I will see your Hayward and Hyde and raise you a Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones and a Quinten Rollins. These were all TT picks, that didn't live up to their draft investments with the Packers or do much with other teams as well, coaching or scouting?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I am on board with blaming a lot of this on Capers, but that doesn't mean TT didn't have a roll in it either. I will see your Hayward and Hyde and raise you a Justin Harrell, Mike Neal, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones and a Quinten Rollins. These were all TT picks, that didn't live up to their draft investments with the Packers or do much with other teams as well, coaching or scouting?
My biggest complaints on Thompson’s role was his lack of involvement in replacing Capers earlier, as well as his drafting Dix where he did. Agree with Harrell too. I never liked that pick. I’ve softened my previous stance on Raji (though I still believe Raji’s intangibles were suspect). Worthy was clearly a bust pick. Still not completely sure about Jones and Rollins. Bad players or bad situation? I don’t consider Neal a bust.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My biggest complaints on Thompson’s role was his lack of involvement in replacing Capers earlier, as well as his drafting Dix where he did. Agree with Harrell too. I never liked that pick. I’ve softened my previous stance on Raji (though I still believe Raji’s intangibles were suspect). Worthy was clearly a bust pick. Still not completely sure about Jones and Rollins. Bad players or bad situation? I don’t consider Neal a bust.

I wasn't necessarily calling Jones or Neal complete busts, but I would view them as guys who didn't live up to where they were drafted and I was mainly using them to point to the fact that after they were done in Green Bay, they didn't go elsewhere and flourish. Rollins appears to be heading down the same path, of course his injury may taint the full story. Guys that follow that path....high pick, underperform in GB and fizzle elsewhere....hard to blame Capers too much.

As much as I didn't like Dix last year, I think Pettine is going to get him playing much better. It will also helps that he is playing for a new contract.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Irregardless of their draft status, I view Jones and Neil as not much more than JAGS.

OP
OP
P

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JAGS picked at #26 & #56 in the draft. ;)

Those are the picks that you can't afford to have too many JAGS at.
Thompson definitely could have done a better job. My issue with him is that he wasn't aggressive enough about filling holes or improving the roster. Kind of the story with this entire organisingor. But out of him and McCarthy, I think the latter was the weaker link.

The decision to keep Capers after the '12 season and consecutive horrific playoff showings was inexcusable. And his system is just not good. You don't see open receivers very often, they are mainly in tight windows, the running game has always been meh and he doesn't utilize his RBs in the passing game like other teams. He literally had a WR at RB, and showed his shocking lack of creativity by not using his mismatch ability. Just draw plays with Montgomery and Cobb.

We've seen posts on Twitter hinting at the players being unhappy with Capers, and we've seen offensive players show their frustration on the field with the play calls. They know the coaches suck.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Irregardless of their draft status, I view Jones and Neil as not much more than JAGS.

Josh Jones?

He's been here one year and we knew he was fairly raw coming out. I wouldn't judge him quite yet.

I'll say this. I've rarely seen as many communication errors, or just flat out errors in a defensive backfield as I did with the Packers last year. I have a hard time believing that was just the players. I have a strong belief that will change under Pettine. I mean, Josh Jones didn't look that lost in college, but he looked completely baffled here. He definitely plays better closer to the LOS, but I have to think Capers system was not helping the players out at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Josh Jones?

He's been here one year and we knew he was fairly raw coming out. I wouldn't judge him quite yet.

I'll say this. I've rarely seen as many communication errors, or just flat out errors in a defensive backfield as I did with the Packers last year. I have a hard time believing that was just the players. I have a strong belief that will change under Pettine. I mean, Josh Jones didn't look that lost in college, but he looked completely baffled here. He definitely plays better closer to the LOS, but I have to think Capers system was not helping the players out at all.

We were talking about Datone Jones, at least I was. Not nearly enough data in on Josh Jones. I'm upbeat about the guy and like you said, I think we see improvement from a lot of the defensive players next year under the tutelage of Pettine.

Oh and Mike Neal, not Motley Crue's Vince Neil ;)

Although it does appear that Vince is taking the MM path to good living and eating.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were talking about Datone Jones, at least I was. Not nearly enough data in on Josh Jones. I'm upbeat about the guy and like you said, I think we see improvement from a lot of the defensive players next year under the tutelage of Pettine.

Oh and Mike Neal, not Motley Crue's Vince Neil ;)

Oh gosh. My bad. That's what I get for not looking up the whole conversation lol.

Yeah...Mike Neal and Datone Jones, not great picks at all. Certainly not for where they were drafted.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have two problems with this discussion.

1. I understand feeling like any given player may be drafted to high. (Do we know the player would not be available later?)
2. I get people want bang for those picks, but I feel more that whether this franchise gets value out of the pick is what really matters.
3. It is likely that there have been some misses, and that's a given, how do you work with what is there.
4. (I don't understand capers at all.)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jones?

My bad; Datone Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have two problems with this discussion.

1. I understand feeling like any given player may be drafted to high. (Do we know the player would not be available later?)
2. I get people want bang for those picks, but I feel more that whether this franchise gets value out of the pick is what really matters.
3. It is likely that there have been some misses, and that's a given, how do you work with what is there.
4. (I don't understand capers at all.)

That seemed like 4, but ok. ;)

Also I am honestly not sure of what points you are trying to make? Although I get #4 ;)

Reaction score
I know there is going to be some busts, some misses, and some just not living up to expectations.. but it takes 2 to Tango. It started with Ted getting the ball rolling and he missed Strikes more often than not and Dom just plain threw some gutter balls trying to get used to the slipper lanes in a futile attempt to Spare

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling the Robert Irsay would love to see MM fired tomorrow and if he was I wouldn't be surprised to see another coach fired within minutes of the news hitting the wire.
Unless he is doing it Posthumously I kind of doubt that Robert Irsay cares much about what happens with MM. He died in 1997. As for Jim Irsay... certainly possible lol.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh gosh. My bad. That's what I get for not looking up the whole conversation lol.
You're saying you parachute into threads, drop "nuggets of wisdom" and watch for the fallout without knowing what the conversation is? :oops:
SMH <<< I've never had to use that before.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily calling Jones or Neal complete busts, but I would view them as guys who didn't live up to where they were drafted and I was mainly using them to point to the fact that after they were done in Green Bay, they didn't go elsewhere and flourish. Rollins appears to be heading down the same path, of course his injury may taint the full story. Guys that follow that path....high pick, underperform in GB and fizzle elsewhere....hard to blame Capers too much.

As much as I didn't like Dix last year, I think Pettine is going to get him playing much better. It will also helps that he is playing for a new contract.
Dix - Pettine is going to have to find a way to hide some of his flaws that are unfixable imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dix - Pettine is going to have to find a way to hide some of his flaws that are unfixable imo.

The first one is to leave his purse on the sideline when he is playing, HHCD looks like he is trying to hug a puppy out there!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts