1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Rebuilt Soldier Field loses landmark status

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Zero2Cool, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    http://www.suntimes.com/output/bears/cs ... ier23.html

2. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I always wondered how they could keep the new Soldier Field an historic landmark when 90% of the building was demolished. Kind of like saying my house could still remain an historic landmark if I just kept one of its original walls.

It's a shame, really.

3. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

It is a shame. Kind of irritates me. There are few venues that should not be tampered with as much as Soldier Field was and SF is one of them.

4. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I always DID wonder why they didn't just build a new stadium, keeping the original intact. It's a shame........they can never get back what was lost.

5. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just check out one of detroit's historic landmarks to find out why they didn't just build a new stadium. Tigers stadium has been vacant and unused except for a one time special concert before the superbowl. Stadiums that no longer have a team sit and rot because there is no longer an income to support it, no matter how historically significant they are. The pontiac silverdome is on it's way to sharing the same fate as tigers stadium. Even if it lost it's title, it's better to refurbish the old stadium and keep it instead of tearing it down or letting it rot because of the new one.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Thats true........better to look like a big "UFO" and be used then to be empty.

7. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    If Soldier Field lost the columns they might as well have called it Bank One Stadium or something else. The columns are at least unique and make a nice camera shot. The World War One soldiers are memorialized even though they are no longer among us.

It is good to remember the roots of the league that was formed in the post war years and grew during the economic times of the 20's.

It is a sad thing when people disrespect history and forget there was football before the Superbowl. Remember when Canton used to be home of the NFL Hall of Fame?? They now have guys inducted who never played a snap in the NFL so now it is the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There are some who say the Bears only won one Super Bowl.

The Bears tried to strike a balance between the tradition and the new. They weren't too far off. I wonder though how George would feel about
    "The Chicago Bears presented by Bank One".

I understand Ditka when he says he "was hired by a Halas and fired by a McCaskey."

Where the Bank One Bears play is not a historic landmark. It is up to the team to make it one.

8. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Imagine these huge stadiums just sitting and falling apart. Chicago did the smart thing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    The site where the Vikings participated was torn down for the Mall of America.
    I've been to home plate in the Mall. I did not see any tribute to football, the site where I saw Chester Marcol kick.

Aren't empty buildings the symbols of Detroit?
    Satelite photos keep showing more and more vegetation in Detroit as it slowly goes back to the wild. Think of all the automobile manufacturing taxes that have been squandered on Detroit.

10. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me about it, I used to work down there 3 days a week. I drove all over the city and could show you some huge beautiful buildings that have been abandoned for years. I'm thinking about moving out of Michigan for just that reason. The city I live in is in the center of 4 out of the 5 biggest cities in Michigan (Detroit, Flint, Ann Arbor, Lansing---excluding Grand Rapids) Everyone who is leaving Detroit is moving to the area I live in and my county has been the fastest growing in Michigan for over a decade.
    This website will take you on a tour through the ruins of detroit.
    the fabulous ruins of detroit

11. gopackgo4

gopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    OH well who cares

12. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    me, I live here. In less you're talking about soldier field. In that case I think they did the right thing by renovationg it.

13. CaliforniaCheez

Ratings:
    +0
    Big 3 I checked out that link The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit.

Beautiful buildings abandoned then plundered.
    The City of Detroit looks like it lost a war!!!
    The riot of 67 started it and by mid to late 70's Detroit was over as a functioning society.
    It's population is half of what it once was and those left are refugees.

14. Philtration

Philtration Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9
    I worked at Soldier Field in the 70s and it was really showing its age even then. It was built in the 1920s and something had to be done. I would have liked to have seen them lower the playing field and make the new bowl configuration at a steeper angle but what’s done is done. They did a nice job with what they were asked to do.
    I think tearing down Comesky Park and Chicago Stadium was even worse. There was no more of an intimidating venue in the country for basketball and hockey than the stadium. The fans were right on top of you and it was loud as hell.
    Even the farthest seat from the field at Comesky Park was closer than a lot of the seats at the new place even though you could pack over 50,000 fans inside.
    Wrigley is all that is left here.

15. big3

big3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No more of an intimating hockey venue? Have you ever been to Joe Louis Arena?

16. Miskito

Miskito Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    One great thing about the new Soldier Field is all of the new parks surrounding the stadium. It really is quite a difference from the old concrete. Of course it is more difficult to tailgate near the field, but it's a small price to pay for having such beautiful grounds.