Rebuilding to Win Now - Good Piece !!!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i fully agree with you pack.... there are no good guards in FA. so quit whining about how TT hasnt picked one up yet.... the right guys in the right place at the right time.... thats what TT is hoping to assemble... tausch and clifton and flanny... none of those guys were celebrated and yet they got good teaching and were in a great scheme for a while. and they became great... we gave them a chance now give coston a chance.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well..

there WERE guards..

(but TT missed out on them...)

--should have clarified that..!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Well..

there WERE guards..

(but TT missed out on them...)

--should have clarified that..!

Link

Allen failed Parcells’ conditioning test, forcing him to miss nearly the first week of practice while concentrating on his running. Allen, though, rarely, if ever passed the team’s conditioning test, which entailed a series of runs in a specific time frame. Once he returned to the field, Allen had no problems displaying his enormous strength and inside blocking ability.

However, over the last few years, Allen has struggled with lateral movement and hasn’t been as consistent pulling to make blockers or blocking downfield.

Link

If it wasn't Dallas, I wanted to go back home," Allen, who also spoke to the Oakland Raiders during his brief free agency, told AP. "They offered the best deal, and they're in California, so it worked."

So in the past he is not to good at pulling and insdie blocking, and he wanted to be CLOSER to his home...Green Bay is not where near Frisco now is it?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66, with all due respect you don't pick up FA that are not part of what you are trying to do. It is the craziest thing you ever have suggested. At any level of football the coach has a VISION of what he wants to do. You get players who are capable of of executing it. No, and I mean NO, coach will let the players dictate what the scheme will be. That's why they are the COACH. Every coach has his system, players that fit that system will be given the opportunity to play within it.

I see this all of the time as a Jr high coach. People think that coaches are interchangeable and that they all are willing to run any kind of system based on what they have to work with. Coaches WILL run different schemes not based on what the OL look like but based on what the backfield looks like.

I will run a zone blocking scheme if it fits into my running game. If I have fast backs, that hit the hole quickly, zone blocking is the way to go. If I have Jamal Lewis back there we will go with a different scheme.

BUT......Either way my scheme will not change due to types of OL I have. It starts with my vision, then goes to the type of RB I have and then I will dictate which system we will run with the line.

Also, in the zone blocking system Allen would not be the Allen you know. He would seldom have to block straight up, would be required to scrape off to LB's and workin unison with younger guys in better shape. No way you even consider this guy.

Its hard to explain to someone who has little experience with working on blocking designs, which I assume you do not. I just don't think you understand the Zone-Blocking concept or how a team is put together. I am not trying to insult you at all so don't take it the wrong way.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pyle..

I UNDERSTAND the concept of zone blocking..Your O-Lineman is responsible for blocking any in zone..and the back is running to that zone and making his cut from there...

I get it..

But..MY POINT...IS..WAS..AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN...

if you do not have ther personnel to execute the zone blocking scheme..then you have to come up with something else dealing with the personnel that you do have..!

There's no guarantee that TT's gonna be able to pick up his prototypical "zone blockers" after the cuts or in the DRAFT!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT COSTON or WELLS ISNT WHAT WE NEED , you havent seen them in the new scheme.. .. but i guess you can bash people on what you predict.

your writing guys off before you see them play.

I bet your horrible at driving a car.... i mean ive never seen you drive, never talked to you, never coached you, never ever want to.... but i still think your a horrible driver. i mean you dont have a huge name like earnhardt or andretti, so you must be horrible at it. Id never let you drive for me.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Favre mustn't be too confident in Coston and Wells...

(and I've seen Wells play....center...)

Do you know that Coston and Wells are "the guys"....???

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually that is NOT what a zone blocking scheme is. It's often thought of like that because the word ZONE is in it, but it is really only that in the most Generic since of the term.

In a zone-blocking scheme two lineman will work in tandem to block one guy at the point of attack. Once the two guys help one or the other gain complete control of the block he then will scrape off to an LB. The non-playside will usually chop block the non-playside of the Defense allowing the big play on the Cut back from the HB.

It has nothing to do with blocking a guy in your "zone." Do you think the O-linemen just stand there flat-footed until someone comes into their "zone?"

I do not know if you just did not bother to read my last post or what but I keep addressing what you are saying about personel.

You don't just look at your line and say 'we are going to run this scheme because this is what we have." Its so much more complicated than that.

It starts with what you feel you can do to optimize the effectiveness of the run game. If you look at our backs they will benefit from the zone-blocking more because they are fast and quick to hit the hole. If it breaks down the cutback with speed is a lethal weapon. Thats why Denver backs always break the big runs. You don't run that system with a bruising back.

So now the coach see's that the run game will possibly be more explosive with Zone-Blocking based on his RB's. He then finds guys to fit that system based on the what he feels will best optimize his runners the chance to get the most yardage. It all starts with the vision and the backfield and then you go to the line and you build that line around that. You don't do it the other way as you have suggested.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
AHHHH..THAT'S ALL A BUNCH OFF HOOEY...

(yOU'RE SAYIN' THE SAME THING I JUST SAID...)

bUT YOU THREW IN SOME ILLEGAL CHOP BLOCK IN THERE...

FOOTBALL IS SIMPLE...

THE ONE TEAM HAS TO KNOCK THE OTHER TEAM ON tHEIR *** SO THE BACK CAN RUN THROUGH THE HOLE...

BLOCKING 101...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No you said guys stand there and wait for guy to run into thier zone then the block em'.

If you weren't so hard headed you may actually try to understand the Zone-Blocking scheme and why Allen would never fit in, but then you could not bash TT so what fun would that be.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much 66 with all do respect your focusing on what Favre wants... and Favre isn't the GM of this team. Favre isn't playing on an elite level. The line wasn't awful last year like your making it sound. I think we finished in the middle of the pack..

I don't think we forfeit the future of the Packers and for Favre like you wanting. You don't buy a Super Bowl or playoffs. This team with or without Favre probably isn't going to make the playoffs..

That's just my take.. I hope I get suprised but I wouldn't bet my chips on it.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No..

I didn't..I said that the blockers were responsible for a "zone"..if somebody was in it...it's their responsibility to block them....so the go to the "zone" where the running play is supposed to be and block the **** out of them...!

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I don't think we forfeit the future of the Packers and for Favre like you wanting. You don't buy a Super Bowl or playoffs. This team with or without Favre probably isn't going to make the playoffs..

That's just my take.. I hope I get suprised but I wouldn't bet my chips on it".

This team has Brett and we can make the playoffs. You all know we were better than we looked on paper last year !!!

Members online