Reasons to be Optimistic for 2009

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) The schedule
Last year the North played the East and this year the South. In 2009, the North plays the West! GB gets to play Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, and St. Louis! Also, the 3rd place finish allows GB to play Philly instead of Dallas or New York, and Atlanta instead of Carolina or TB!
--Realisticly, GB should sweep Detroit, sweep the West, and split with Minny and Chicago FOR SURE. That is 8 wins right there!

2) Cap Room/Free-agents
GB has the resources to sign either Peppers or Haynesworth, both of who were promised by their team to not be franchised. Haynesworth coupled with the return of Cullen Jenkins makes the defensive line 1000x's better.

3) Top-10 pick
GB can once again pick the best DEFENSIVE player available, whether it be a linebacker (Memuga from USC or Larinitas from OSU) or one of the 4 or 5 first-round caliber defensive ends.

4) Youngest team in the league comes back another year mature.

Yes, I have given up on the 2008 season, but with the right adjustments for 2009, GB can EASILY win the NFC North.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GDP56 said:
we have plenty of room to sign a top tier running back

only problem is that running back is like problem #4, behind defensive tackle, defensive end, outside linebacker, and offensive guard. Grant would look a lot better behind a better offensive line

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
GDP56 said:

only problem is that running back is like problem #4, behind defensive tackle, defensive end, outside linebacker, and offensive guard. Grant would look a lot better behind a better offensive line
You mean Brandon Jackson. I'm sorry but every time I see a hole, Grant never hits it. Jackson has honestly done nothing but been great.... I honestly don't see why we don't at least give him a chance with one game that we start him. Grant can't cut and can't break tackles, what is he good at?

That's a serious question too, what is he good at...?

Packerbacker87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Killazach said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
GDP56 said:

You mean Brandon Jackson. I'm sorry but every time I see a hole, Grant never hits it. Jackson has honestly done nothing but been great.... I honestly don't see why we don't at least give him a chance with one game that we start him. Grant can't cut and can't break tackles, what is he good at?

That's a serious question too, what is he good at...?

He's good at holding out for a contract extension, getting it, and then failing to live up to expectations set by last season's performance.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we need to dump that "zone blocking" crap. It's NOT working. The RB's we have i believe would be better suited with just plain ol' blocking.
I mean.....why not give it a shot? It's not like we have much to lose.
I'd like to see them try it these last 2 games, and see what happens.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I think we need to dump that "zone blocking" crap. It's NOT working. The RB's we have i believe would be better suited with just plain ol' blocking.

The only problem with this would be the offensive line. GB has spent the past few years drafting smallish, quick linemen who were low on other people's draft boards. They just don't have the personal for a power rush game. Saying that, I agree with you. Without a stud running back, the "one-cut and cloud of dust" zone blocking scheme DOES NOT WORK.

gman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that is very likely to happen if we do get a good pick . I have given up on 2008 as well but it is still fun to watch.

ndjb04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be more optimistic if i see Brandon Jackson actually get the carries he deserves. I think that TT and MM are just to biased toward Grant and his huge contract extension.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ndjb04 said:
I would be more optimistic if i see Brandon Jackson actually get the carries he deserves. I think that TT and MM are just to biased toward Grant and his huge contract extension.

Why not try a two-back system? There is no rule that mandates one back gets all the carries. Hit em with a little thunder and lightening!

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Thank you Cheesey ! I agree 100 %

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
ndjb04 said:

Why not try a two-back system? There is no rule that mandates one back gets all the carries. Hit em with a little thunder and lightening!

I agree, NYG and the Cowboys have it down to a science, and they have been extemely successful, esp with F. Jones in the mix. Grant is proving that he sucks, one more year like this I would cut him and take whatever cap hit or whatever it will bring.

I am not sure why Jackson is not getting touches, he has been solid every time he gets the ball. TT and co. needs to open his eyes and stop playing faves or they will be out of a job.

pseudocide

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reasons to be optimistic? how about everyone healthy again! i'm looking forward to seeing our best defense on the field for more than 2 weeks next year.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JenningsLongCatch said:
1) The schedule
Last year the North played the East and this year the South. In 2009, the North plays the West! GB gets to play Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, and St. Louis! Also, the 3rd place finish allows GB to play Philly instead of Dallas or New York, and Atlanta instead of Carolina or TB!
--Realisticly, GB should sweep Detroit, sweep the West, and split with Minny and Chicago FOR SURE. That is 8 wins right there!

2) Cap Room/Free-agents
GB has the resources to sign either Peppers or Haynesworth, both of who were promised by their team to not be franchised. Haynesworth coupled with the return of Cullen Jenkins makes the defensive line 1000x's better.

3) Top-10 pick
GB can once again pick the best DEFENSIVE player available, whether it be a linebacker (Memuga from USC or Larinitas from OSU) or one of the 4 or 5 first-round caliber defensive ends.

Yes, I have given up on the 2008 season, but with the right adjustments for 2009, GB can EASILY win the NFC North.

I agree that a top 10 pick should be a defensive player. I would pick Brian Cushing over Rey Maualuga (not Memuga).

Although Maualuga was chosen as Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year, I think Cushing had just as good a season.
A look at the stats:
Maualuga 11 games, 73 tackles, 2.5 for loss, no sacks, 2 Int, no forced fumbles, 3 broke up passes.

Cushing: 12 games, 66 tackles, 10 for loss, 2.5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 forced fumble, 6 broke up passes.

No doubt Both are *** kicking LB's. Both hit hard but, having watched them for several seasons I think Cushing overall is slightly better.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CalifPacker said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
1) The schedule

2) Cap Room/Free-agents

3) Top-10 pick

I agree that a top 10 pick should be a defensive player. I would pick Brian Cushing over Rey Maualuga (not Memuga).

Although Maualuga was chosen as Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year, I think Cushing had just as good a season.
A look at the stats:
Maualuga 11 games, 73 tackles, 2.5 for loss, no sacks, 2 Int, no forced fumbles, 3 broke up passes.

Cushing: 12 games, 66 tackles, 10 for loss, 2.5 sacks, 1 Int, 1 forced fumble, 6 broke up passes.

No doubt Both are *** kicking LB's. Both hit hard but, having watched them for several seasons I think Cushing overall is slightly better.

I really like Mays, if we're looking at USC for defensive help.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Toronto_Cheesehead said:
CalifPacker said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
1) The schedule

2) Cap Room/Free-agents

3) Top-10 pick

A look at the stats:

I really like Mays, if we're looking at USC for defensive help.

Your exactly right. I was looking at LB's but, Mays is a real play maker, hits hard, and anticipates where the ball is going. One of the best Safties I have seen at the College level in a long time.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
JenningsLongCatch said:
ndjb04 said:

I agree, NYG and the Cowboys have it down to a science, and they have been extemely successful, esp with F. Jones in the mix. Grant is proving that he sucks, one more year like this I would cut him and take whatever cap hit or whatever it will bring.

I am not sure why Jackson is not getting touches, he has been solid every time he gets the ball. TT and co. needs to open his eyes and stop playing faves or they will be out of a job.

Maybe MM has Ryan Grant on his fantasy squad?!?

Reaction score
GDP56 said:

I hate when people give up on players i bet he was like grant oh hes so good when he ran in the playoffs now es probably oh he sucks hes terrible now we need a new running back. I mean we only had 5000 yards in offense this season. 1200 yards came from grant.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very optimistic for 09, Rodgers will have the playing time under his belt that he needed. I think he will be one of the top QBs in the league, mentioned right up there with Manning and Brady. The O-line needs to get better, weather through the draft or training and they need to cut down on the penalties. We will get a much needed adjustment on D and hopefully draft some line help. I have been waiting for Hawk to live up to his potential and I think that this is the year he will (he has all the physical tools and is a hard worker). Findley will condtinue to grow and give Rodgers a comfort blanket that can stretch the field down the middle. The schedule seems to be easier than last year, but it is hard to tell. The team needs a lot of help on special teams and hopefull a new s-teams coach will improve in that area. Jenkins will be back healthy and this is the year that I think Harrell needs to prove that he is more than a body out on the field, he is often hurt and does not make much of a difference when he is playing. I think that this is the year that Ruvell become a big play receiver much like Jennings. Overall the young team will have more time to get chemistry and should come out of the gate with something to prove. I think if Thompson drafts smart and does not keep trading down and takes some playmakers on D, this team could become the Ravens of 08.

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense was pretty solid this year in regards to the passing game. I would like to see Ryan Grant actually be in shape and Brandon Jackson stay healthy for an entire year.

The defense definately needs an overhaul, starting with the pass rush. With the 2009 schedule, the defense is going to have a great chance to gain some confidence by beating up on lesser opponents.

catchpatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My #1 reason for optimism next season is the passing game. Aaron Rodgers just finished one of the best seasons for a first-year starting quarterback in history. We have two legitimate star wide recievers, two more wide recievers who could be starters on other teams, and two rookies in Jermichael Finley and Jordy Nelson who show a lot of promise. This passing game is good already, but I expect the Packers to emerge as one of the most dominating pass attacks in the NFL.

If the defense and the running game can just get to mediocre, this passing game will be enough to get the Packers a winning record.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts