Really starting to dislike James Jones

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think we should grab a big bodied, consistent handed receiver this year in the draft, no earlier than the 3rd round if any are still available. We don't need anyone fast, just someone big and consistent who can run routes well and can be used on all downs. As long as we aren't picky on speed, we can get a good deal. I'm thinking along the lines of Sidney Rice or Miles Austin even.

I'm just not sold on Jones. He's not consistent and he doesnt seem to care. Couple this with the fact that DD is gettin old, and suddenly our deep receiving corps is looking a bit more shallow.
You mean like Jordy Nelson? I agree, we need to see him more instead of JJ.
And I completely disagree on your assessment of DD, that guy was grabbing cobwebs and making catches that are amazing. GO look at NFL.com's best catches, the old guy is steady and ready .

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think we should grab a big bodied, consistent handed receiver this year in the draft, no earlier than the 3rd round if any are still available. We don't need anyone fast, just someone big and consistent who can run routes well and can be used on all downs. As long as we aren't picky on speed, we can get a good deal. I'm thinking along the lines of Sidney Rice or Miles Austin even.

I'm just not sold on Jones. He's not consistent and he doesnt seem to care. Couple this with the fact that DD is gettin old, and suddenly our deep receiving corps is looking a bit more shallow.
OH, how about Andrew Quarless? Doesn't that fit the bill? He's not there yet but has all the potential. I'm not slamming dude, but if I have to choose between a big body receiver and an OT I'm going with the line, the Packers have had trouble with some opponents lines, we need to have it all right there.
Detroit should remind you of that.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
OH, how about Andrew Quarless? Doesn't that fit the bill? He's not there yet but has all the potential. I'm not slamming dude, but if I have to choose between a big body receiver and an OT I'm going with the line, the Packers have had trouble with some opponents lines, we need to have it all right there.
Detroit should remind you of that.

I think we go OL early, getting the best available. It's unrealistic to think that were going to draft OL at every round. That's why I suggest getting a WR that falls lower because he's a bit slower. We have our speedy guy in Jennings.

Quarless doesn't do it for me yet, and shouldn't do it for anyone yet. I'm not writing him off by any means, but he may have more drops than Jones this year. The only thing is that we'll have Finley back next year, he's big bodied and sure handed.

The thing is, I just like having a big guy out wide, it works for teams. Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, Brandon Lloyd, I could go on. These guys make plays when it counts, if the ball is there.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I think we go OL early, getting the best available. It's unrealistic to think that were going to draft OL at every round. That's why I suggest getting a WR that falls lower because he's a bit slower. We have our speedy guy in Jennings.

Quarless doesn't do it for me yet, and shouldn't do it for anyone yet. I'm not writing him off by any means, but he may have more drops than Jones this year. The only thing is that we'll have Finley back next year, he's big bodied and sure handed.

The thing is, I just like having a big guy out wide, it works for teams. Brandon Marshall, Sidney Rice, Brandon Lloyd, I could go on. These guys make plays when it counts, if the ball is there.
I hear you, but I think Quarless will come a long ways next year, he's playing on raw ability this year, he'll know the system next year. It will be lightning in a bottle with Quarless and Finley on opposite sides. I still think Jordy Nelson should see more playing time, he's exactly the type of receiver you're talking about, but he's not slow by any stretch of the imagination.
I totally agree with the concept, I just believe we already have those guys, the offensive coordinator has to play them that way is all.
Yes, no need for OL each pick, but I'd sure like to see a 1st or 2nd rounder at least. We're not getting it done with multiple late rounders and you have to know Clifton is not gonna last through next year.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Nelson and Jones need to start putting glue on those gloves......too many fumbles. If there are two things that drive me out of my mind, they're fumbles and dropped passes.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
hmmmm have you guys forgot about J-FIN??? we need no recievers we need linemen and quality dbs.
No, does it seem like I forgot about him? I'm saying we dont' need a tall rangy receiver, I'm all about an OL.
I don't see the need for a db like you do, Shields was a steal so it allows us to find another piece of the puzzle.
Everyone obviously wants an outside linebacker to be a compliment to Clay so I'm comfortable going in that direction, but I dont' think it's necessary. You can see how the doubles on Clay let the inside go after the QB, I LOVE how they've done this. No pocket to run out of like Aaron does. I'm okay if they grab one, but omg, they really need another solid tackle, because they are gonna need a year to develop.
Detroit showed us where the future is, those Dlinemen were monsters, we either match up or shut up.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I'd love to draft a new stud receiver, but I just don't think it's gonna happen. Not TT's style. We're pretty deep there right now. It seems more likely that he'd try to get another year out of DD and use JJ and JN more. Our association believes strongly in improving from within before getting help from outside, and that's probably where it'll go. Especially with our needs at O-line and defense, and maybe RB.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
He doesn't seem to get it.
Maybe it's just me, but he doesn't seem to give 100% all the time. He's too inconsistent, and I don't know if he'll ever mature.

But his history makes it hard to hate on him.

this, he never seems to be giving it his all. The biggest problem I have with him is the fumbles, if hes not dropping balls, he's fumbling them in key situations.

I would like to see flynn and jones traded in the off season if we can get some draft picks.

erik_m_vos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember which commentator said it, but after the 2007 draft, they were saying that James Jones had the best hands they've seen out of the draft EVER. After hearing that, I had huge hopes for Jones. Then he gets injured. I think he'll be just fine! I'd like to see Jennings, Nelson, Jones and Driver (till he retires) on the roster for a long time. We will be unstoppable in the passing game for years to come

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmmm have you guys forgot about J-FIN??? we need no recievers we need linemen and quality dbs.

Finley needs to stay on the field for me to care about him. You can have all the talent and potential in the world but if you're not playing, who cares, you don't do me any good while you're watching from the sideline. His two years as a starter for us he has missed significant time both years with knee issues. The one this year, no one touched him, he just went down. That's worrisome.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Finley needs to stay on the field for me to care about him. You can have all the talent and potential in the world but if you're not playing, who cares, you don't do me any good while you're watching from the sideline. His two years as a starter for us he has missed significant time both years with knee issues. The one this year, no one touched him, he just went down. That's worrisome.

Agreed. The guy isn't here and hasn't been a significant part of our team for the last two years. Who cares when you can't count on him?

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. The guy isn't here and hasn't been a significant part of our team for the last two years. Who cares when you can't count on him?

His rookie deal expires soon I think too... He damn well better not act like we owe him something and hold out for a "big contract" bc he doesn't deserve one. Not yet.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His rookie deal expires soon I think too... He damn well better not act like we owe him something and hold out for a "big contract" bc he doesn't deserve one. Not yet.

Agreed. We touched on his attitude in another thread (I forget which), but I do have a concern he's going to do just what you described. He's an arrogant and cocky SOB, so much so that I had to un-follow him on twitter because I couldn't take his self-serving posts anymore.

I would give him an extension, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. Let him hold out if he wants. Quarless and hopefully Crabtree will step up.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. We touched on his attitude in another thread (I forget which), but I do have a concern he's going to do just what you described. He's an arrogant and cocky SOB, so much so that I had to un-follow him on twitter because I couldn't take his self-serving posts anymore.

I would give him an extension, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. Let him hold out if he wants. Quarless and hopefully Crabtree will step up.

Kind of a rock/hard place situation though. I think he's got the talent/size/attributes to be a PHENOMENAL TE in the league. Up there with V. Davis, Gates, Dallas Clark and Jason Witten so I would hate to let him go and have him blow up into a HOF'er or something. But the dude needs to learn some humility for gods sake. And Rodgers being on his **** 24/7 wasn't helping the situation.

Come to work, do your job. Take care of your body, and chill out in front of the camera. I don't care what he says or how cocky he is on the field and in the locker room, but in front of the camera, take it down about 8 notches...

You figure these guys would learn how things work in GB. How TT works. Show up, be an example, be a leader, produce and you'll be WELL taken care of. Simple.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a significant part of the team??

Please use facts to backup your statements. Finley played in 12 of 16 games in 2009 and had 55 receptions for 676 yards. In their playoff game against AZ, he had 6 receptions for 159 yards, was our leading receiver, and nearly set a record for TE receiving yards in a playoff game.

This year he played in 4 games and had 21 receptions for 301 yards. He averaged 75 yards per game. At that rate, he gains 1,200 yards for the season.

Too bad he got injured this year (thanks Donald Lee), but to say he isn't significant is ridiculous.

He's been significant when he's been here. But to have missed half of your games in your first two years as a starter (16 of 32) is a question mark. If he's one of those guys that you cannot count on week in and week out then he's no good to the team as far as I'm concerned. In that case I'd rather roll with a slightly less talented guy that can suit up on Sundays.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
He's been significant when he's been here. But to have missed half of your games in your first two years as a starter (16 of 32) is a question mark. If he's one of those guys that you cannot count on week in and week out then he's no good to the team as far as I'm concerned. In that case I'd rather roll with a slightly less talented guy that can suit up on Sundays.
YOu hit the nail on the head didn't you? If he's not playing he's not contributing. Excuses all to hell, if you're not on the roster you're not a player.
I hope next season proves me wrong, cudos to TT for grabbing another talented TE this draft.

PackerFan87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would have liked to see that to Jennings/Driver/Nelson...you have to wonder if Jones' confidence has been rattled from dropping balls :S