1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Reality Check...more to life than football

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by MontanaBob, Aug 16, 2006.

1. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    As some of you know from my past few posts, we are in a pretty dangerous fire season around here. Last night we watched in horror as a neighbors house burned to the ground from a fire that started last week about 300 yards from us. We are okay here, at least for now, and have things ready to go just in case we have to. Our neighbors home was just inside what they call the "Interface" area where homes are tight at the edge of the forest and heavily timbered areas.

Everyone on our hill is stunned and are taking extra precautions now. Roof sprinklers are going and people are hosing down the field that is adjacant to our homes. We are two homes in from the field, but if the wind shifts like last night...........!!!

With all this, I guess reality sets in. Football is a game, and some win and some lose. Life is everything and everything you and I have worked for is our life. To lose that in 45 minutes is beyond comprehension. The players wake up tomorrow... $$$$$$ richer whether they won or lost last nights game, but our neighbors wake up in a motel provided by the Red Cross knowing they have lost almost everything they have worked for.

The Packers play a game people, and theirs and our lives go on. Somehow, even if they lose every game, it doesn't seem important anymore.

Bob

2. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    NOT IMPORTANT.....but they open with the bears......get a grip!

Just kidding, of course. Prayers go out to your neighbors and yourself. Be safe. My parents retired to Palm Coast Fla back in 84 when that area was hit with wild fires. They were evacuated for about 3 days not knowing whether they had a house to go back to. The houses were only seperated by about 50 feet and when I took them back to see what was left, the houses on either side of them was burnt to the ground but theirs was pretty much untouched. about 10,000 dollars of damage but they were lucky. No rhyme or reason.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bob, to me football has ALWAYS just been an escape from reality. Like you said, it's JUST a game. Your life, your property, those are whats really important.
    We here are thinking/praying for your well being! Just remember, if it gets bad, GET OUT! Your life can't be replaced!

4. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bob, I wish the best for your family and those in your neighborhood. With that said...

I'm really not trying to sound like an *******, but anytime some tragedy happens, be it a fire, 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, or anything else, somebody always brings up how sports are just a game and that it doesn't really matter.

Who are these people talking to? Doesn't every marginally sane person in society realize that it doesn't "really" matter whether or not the Packers win or lose? I can't name one person that honestly thinks the outcome of a sporting event is truly meaningful in the grand scheme of things.

So, a message to these people who write things like this. If you want others to feel empathetic towards your situation, all you have to do is tell us about your hard times. But I find that when people write things about the value of sports in comparison to real life, essentially assuming (if not outright accusing me of) putting sports above human life, to be slightly condesending and offensive.

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I can't speak for everyone, but i sure don't find it condescending at all. Bob is the ONLY one on this site going through this particular fear. The rest of us are in relative safety.
    I think sometimes people say that particular line, because they are also reminding themselves of what TRUELY important in life. Plus, reminding those that might read it or hear it to hold their loved ones a little closer, to truely appreciate what they have. Because in truth, NONE of us knows how long we, or our loved ones have left on this earth.
    It can all be snatched away in an instant, your life forever changed. It sure doesn't hurt to be reminded of that every so often.
    And if it gives my friend (Bob) a little solace to come here and share what he is going through, i'm not going to judge how he words something, but be there to help in any small way as i can.
    I understand what he is saying, and why.
    Like i said, all we hold dear can be gone faster then you can imagine.
    Matt......you'd be surprised at how many people take what they have for granted. Maybe this can be a wakeup call for someone out there that DOESN'T realize just what they have.

6. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    matresell, I'm not quite sure how to take your reply, but I get the jist of what you are saying. Sports and athletics has played a big part of my life....I went to college on a track scholarship, amd have coached everything from volleyball to soccer.

I certainly wasn't trying to get sympathy, but a few here were concerned about what has been happening out here around us. Seeing what happened the other night just puts a perspective on things. I could have used several other comparisions besides football, but since this is a Packer/football site,...............!

Anyway, we are all safe. It rained hard last night and is cool and cloudy today. :D

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Bob, i think Matt thinks all people think on his level, when in fact they don't. How many push aside their family when sports is on TV, or they have something they see as important to do, instead of taking time with their loved ones. Then something tragic happenes, and they are left with what they SHOULD have done, what was REALLY important.
    If it was as obvious as Matt seems to think it is, there wouldn't be so many problems and broken homes today.
    I don't think you have anything to apologize for. Like you said, this is a football site. Thus your comparison to me at least was just fine.
    Many people don't appreciate what they have till it's gone........and it can be gone in an instant. Even if you don't live in a fire zone.

8. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    BOB....I bet you were never so happy to see rain in your entire life. When is the "fire season" usually over out there?

9. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The rain was very welcome and really helped slow things down. But.....with big fires a few hours rains is like trying to pee on a house fire and put it out. The one right near us is just burning within the fire lines and has really settled down. It will probably burn for another 2-3 weeks. The really big one near us, the Gash Creek Fire, will probably burn until the snow flies. It's in some very rough terrain and moving up into canyons and draws in the Bitterroot Mountains just south of us. Not much the fire fighters can do but try to steer it away from civilization. It's now burned about 15,000 acres.

Our fire season usually last until mid-September for any big things to blow up. By then the rains come and snow hits the higher elevations.

10. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Matt, I know where you are coming from, but at times we all tend to get caught up in things and forget to realize life is more important than how MM will do, etc. Cheesy, you made a great post there.

Bob, I hope and pray you'll get through it safe. It must be hard going through this sort of thing every year, but I suppose one gets used to it as time goes on.

These are some of the most powerful words I have read on this forum. I can't fathom waking up only to realize that everything, EVERYTHING, I have worked for and things that were priceless that showed the early beginnings of the family are all gone. Heck I can't even fathom them standing and watching as their house is burning. I pray that those neighbours rebuild quickly, and I imagine it will be hard for their lives to ever be the same again. Thanks a ton for sharing Bob, like I said, that quote is some of the most powerful words and imagery on this forum by far, IMHO.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We had/have a bad mold problem, and i lost some things that are not replaceable. But i didn't lose everything like those people did. When something like that happens, it must be a very helpless feeling.
    My heart goes out to those people.
    And thank you Allabout for the kind words! MUCH appreciated!

12. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I myself have just learned news that makes me better understand how you are feeling Bob.

It's at times like this, when I honestly start to think "f football", it can't do a damn for me. :(

13. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    What happened allabout???

14. packerfan4ever

packerfan4ever Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +53
    glad things turned out for you hope things look alittle better for you than yesterday.

15. MontanaBob

MontanaBob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Things are okay for now, but as I just told Cheesey, three aerial tankers went over our house and with all the smoke I'm not sure where they were headed. The rain helped, but it's getting very hot here again (90-100 temps) and that creates lots of smoke.

To ease the tension we are having a block party tonight and we expect about 60 people. Got lots of brats ready, beer and pop, and we're going to have some fun. :D

16. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear things are looking up Bob. I remember when we had fires out here in '03. Our house wasn't directly in danger but the fire was VERY near us. The helicopters and tankers were going right over the house on their way to make drops. It was raining ash and blowing ashes for days afterwards. Sounds like you and your neighbors found a good way to release some tension with a block party.