RB's in GB

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Since GB has six RB's on the present roster and they can be listed as follows in playing priority, which ones will be good for the long haul or will it be necessary to find someone else?
1) Ryan Grant 6-1 224.
2) Brandon Jackson 5-10 212
3) Noah Herron 5-11 218
4) DeShawn Wynn 5-10 232
5) Vernan Morency 5-10 217
6) Kregg Lumpkin 5-11 222

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Ryan Grant 6-1 224.
3) Noah Herron 5-11 218
4) DeShawn Wynn 5-10 232
7) Jon Ryan 6- 0 202

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Watch Jon run. About halfway through the highlights at 2:13

Heh. I watched the youtube of that play and man, utmost respect for Ryan. Hoping we'll do more fake punts in '08.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that touchdown pass to james jones in the second half is up there in my top 10 Favre throws.

so perfectly placed in the route that its unbelievable. james just plucks it out of mid air like it was suspended from a string just waiting for him. never breaks stride for even a split second. absolutely beautiful.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IronMan said:
1) Ryan Grant 6-1 224.
3) Noah Herron 5-11 218
4) DeShawn Wynn 5-10 232
7) Jon Ryan 6- 0 202

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Watch Jon run. About halfway through the highlights at 2:13

Heh. I watched the youtube of that play and man, utmost respect for Ryan. Hoping we'll do more fake punts in '08.

Yeah, I saw it live, and the disgust of the Viking fans next to me was priceless.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John Run is actually a Triple Threat Punter, he can beat you with his arm, his leg and his wheels. He's not a RB cos he dosent need anyone to hand off to him, he lines up in deep shotgun and then makes plays...FACT!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:lol: I'd say they keep three and hope to get one on the practice squad.

I'm guessing we keep 4 and my guess who we keep - Grant, Jackson, Wynn, and Morency.

The thing is, I'm guessing Morency stays and if one of those four go in favor of Herron, it will be Wynn.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year TT kept 4, but that included Morency, who was still hurt. 3 is more likely. By the way, don't forget Corey White who is listed at FB, but could make it as a short yardage RB.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last year TT kept 4, but that included Morency, who was still hurt. 3 is more likely. By the way, don't forget Corey White who is listed at FB, but could make it as a short yardage RB.

I guess I should have specified regular RBs vs FBs.

Well, does Corey White makes the '08 team?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about moving Wynn to FB? Could be a Dorsey Levens like player. And yes Dorsey originally played Fullback.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about moving Wynn to FB? Could be a Dorsey Levens like player. And yes Dorsey originally played Fullback.

How was Wynn's blocking?
I don't remember, but I don't remember him being good.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
8) Don't recall that either Morency or Wynn were very accomplished blockers. Be interesting to see how the new guy, Lumpkin makes out. Seems he has pretty good size but, don't know very much about him. I think between Morency and Wynn I'd try to hang on to Wynn. He seems to have that good burst and certainly is capable of moving bodies which get in his way.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got to chat with Pete Dougherty today. I was interested in what he thought on any suprise cuts we might see in the future. This is what went on.

PackOne said ...

"Pete, I would love to hear your take on who you think might be a surprise cut this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hodge cut, Jarrett Bush is certainly on the bubble, and tight end Tory Humphrey stays healthy or he is gone. None of that is really a surprise though."

"Do you see anything shocking in your Packer crystal ball?"

Pete said ...

"There seem to be fewer of those as the free agency has evolved and most key moves are made by now. Morency could get cut because of his knee problems, though I don't know if that counts as a surprise. A lot of fans seem high on Wynn, but I'll be a little surprised if he makes it. Tony Moll might have an outside chance of getting cut, depending on how guys like Breno Giacomini and Joe Toledo play, though I still have to think Moll will make it."

I thought the comment on Wynn was very telling. I guess we will have to wait and see.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:p Yup! I'd say be healthy or goodbye so Wynn & Co. better show up hale & hearty and prove he can stay that way. I still think Morency is the guy that will be cut tho.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll find the link in a minute, but McCarthy has claimed that Brandon Jackson has been a stud in the off season and expects great things.

"I couldn't tell much of anything. Justin Beaver stood out because he's the shortest guy I've ever seen at a Packers camp, and he's really quick. Be interesting to see if they bring him back if the rosters are expanded to 86. Haven't been to an OTA practice yet, only four total will be open to reporters, and the first is tomorrow. McCarthy has been talking up Jackson all offseason."

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:) Have Jackson ranked as #2 Rb so I would guess he's perhaps soldified his position as first back-up. Really don't think the pack needs to get any other RB unless they stumble across a real stud. Think we have enough to choose from already on the roster unless either Grant or Jackson come up lame.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant and Jackson are really the only "locks" I'd consider out of group of RBs we'll be taking in to training camp to make the final 53-man roster. Grant because of his production last year and Jackson due to how he came on late in the year and was a second round draft pick in '07.

Wynn, Morency, Herron, and Lumpkin are all bubble guys who are going to have to earn that final spot (assuming we carry only 3 RBs on the final 53-man roster) in training camp. The only reason we carried 4 RBs into Week 1 on the roster last year was mainly due to injury or inexperience with the system in Grant's case. Lumpkin and Wynn are still both practice squad eligible while Morency and Herron are pretty much playing for their football lives due to their number of years in the league.

Wynn showed some flashes early in the '07 season, but never did enough to really lock the job down. The fact he's injury prone and his work ethic are still big question marks. Him coming into OTA's in "so-so" shape is just another idication of that in my mind. Morency is another guy who has shown a flash or two here or there since getting traded to Green Bay. He seems like a relatively pedestrian change of pace back, but has made some nice catches out of the backfield. Like Wynn though, he's got some injury issues too in his past, but if he can stay healthy through OTAs and training camp, I like his chances best out of any of the remaining RBs to make the final 53-man roster. Herron has been a hard worker and did some good things for this team in '05 and '06, but he's never shown really great flashes at any time and is probably on the outside looking in come the end of camp unless he really shows some things in camp. Lumpkin I can't judge because we haven't seen any of him yet, but he seems like a sure-fire candidate for the practice squad if he has a good training camp.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn showed some flashes early in the '07 season, but never did enough to really lock the job down.

He didn't lock the job down because he got hurt. You talk about his injuries in the next sentence, but I disagree if you're going to make it seem like he was inconsistent and lost the job due to lack of 'doing enough.'

Wynn was Ryan Grant before Ryan Grant was (See: Chicago game #1).

I see it going Grant, Jackson, Wynn.

Wynn is going to CRUSH people on short yardage plays.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wynn had a couple of decent games against the Giants (before they got going) and Bears and had a few nice runs, but he never had a single 100 yard rushing game in the 4 games he started. (Grant had 4) Maybe you can blame some of that on the RB by committee approach the Packers used early in the year, but he sure didn't do a whole lot with the opportunities he had against Minnesota and Washington. Also, while Wynn definitely has decent size to be that brusing short yardage back you say, I seriously question if he has the durability to do so.

If Wynn can stay relatively healthy in camp and can show a bit of that mojo he had against the Giants and Bears last year, he definitely has a decent chance to stick. If he's sitting on the sidelines though again for a good chunk of camp (like he did in '07) and one of the other bubble guys is making some nice plays in pre-season, don't be shocked to see him on the outside looking in come the final cutdown to 53 players.

Members online

Latest posts