RB Ronnie Hillman

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Lost-in-the-shuffle-Packers-reportedly-interested-in-Hillman-44518487

Thoughts on us possibly signing him? I wonder why though. We just re-signed Starks. Are MM/TT looking at Hillman as a 3rd down utility type back? Someone who can get out into passing routes and catch the ball? Looking to put some speed on the field at the position during certain offensive sets or something? Hillman can fly, that's for sure.

But this would be one strange signing if it happened.

Can anyone make sense of this possibility?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it qualifies as much more than a 'kicking the tires' situation, doubt anything comes out of it.

Wouldn't be interested if it were much over minimum salary.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decent young back. Probably they're thinking of him as a hedge in case they lose Lacy and Starks after this season.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like insurance in case Lacy turns into a teletubby again. I won't love it, but I won't necessarily hate the signing either. Funny, I didn't even realize that Hillman was on the street.....Denver doesn't want him back? If he is coming to Green Bay it will be for peanuts. I would have thought he would have tried to go somewhere else with a greater need like Detroit, Chicago, Washington, Seattle, New York, Houston, or Miami.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no idea why the Packers would think about even using a portion of their extremely limited cap space on a running back most likely ending up third on the depth chart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it qualifies as much more than a 'kicking the tires' situation, doubt anything comes out of it.

Wouldn't be interested if it were much over minimum salary.

I agree. The Packers surely won't part with the comp pick they are due for Heyward, so Hillman won't really be on their radar unless the Broncos release him.

The thing about running backs is that they get banged up a lot, so stockpiling a few isn't a bad idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. The Packers surely won't part with the comp pick they are due for Heyward, so Hillman won't really be on their radar unless the Broncos release him.

As mentioned in another thread the Packers signing Hillman would offset the team losing Tolzien in free agency (which will at most result in a seventh-round pick) regarding the compensation picks. Hillman´s contract with the Broncos expired after last season, making him an unrestricted free agent. So he would for sure factor into the formula for compensation picks.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't even recall if the Packers ever dressed 3 RB's for a game last year, so signing Hilliman just wouldn't make much sense to me. Now if they don't plan on resigning Kuhn and only suit up Ripkowski on game day, having a 3rd down back like Hilliman might make a bit of sense. But toss in the loss of a compensatory pick and a team that is now having to keep a close eye on its cap for next year, it doesn't add up. I would prefer seeing a RB drafted mid to late rounds and go with Lacy, Starks and Crockett.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it makes a little (I stress little) sense as an insurance policy for next offseason an offseason where Ted is pretty obviously giving himself some options at a few positions. I agree it seems unlikely, and probably a waste of the very little space he has left to work with BUT I could see the reasoning behind it to a certain extent.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't even recall if the Packers ever dressed 3 RB's for a game last year, so signing Hilliman just wouldn't make much sense to me. Now if they don't plan on resigning Kuhn and only suit up Ripkowski on game day, having a 3rd down back like Hilliman might make a bit of sense. But toss in the loss of a compensatory pick and a team that is now having to keep a close eye on its cap for next year, it doesn't add up. I would prefer seeing a RB drafted mid to late rounds and go with Lacy, Starks and Crockett.

The Packers had three running backs active for seven games last season. I agree that Hillman doesn´t make sense for various reasons though and I would be fine with adding a day 3 pick to compete with Crockett for a roster spot.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Critical reading is important here:
Whether interest in Hillman has cooled since the Packers decided to re-sign Starks is unknown as is their level of interest in Hillman since adding Cook.
So this is very old news since the "interest" was prior to signing James Starks....according to the guy who "broke" the news.

Even if this were current and relevant, I would think that this is more agent/player posturing more than actual interest from the Packers. Not news.

H

HardRightEdge

It is hard to see how Hillman adds up from a cost-per-snap standpoint given Starks is a decent blocker and receiver for 3rd. down duty while the better conditioned 2014 version of Lacy showed good ability as a receiver.

If the Packers were to sign him for other than a super cheap deal, it will be a sign that Thompson is going all-in for 2016 with the draft being immediate-need-oriented, if it isn't otherwise.

However, there is a need for a change-of-pace back for spot duty providing a better threat in the pitch, sweep and draw calls that have not been effective in recent years.

Lacy, Starks and Crockett are north/south, between-the-tackles runners.

In 2014, the Packers were going to open the season with DuJuan Harris (a UDFA) as the change-of-pace back. That plan was derailed when he reinjured his knee in the last preseason game.

In 2013, the Packers drafted Franklin in the 4th. round as a complement to Lacy and Starks. To illustrate the point, in Franklin's one big game before the unfortunate neck injury, his 51 yard run was on a pitch; his one TD was on a bounce-out to the corner. The Packers opened that season with 4 RBs, including Seine who also brought some speed.

In 2011, the Packers drafted Alex Green in the 3rd. round and carried him through 2012. He was Mr. Pass Down Draw Play at Hawaii. Unfortunately, he didn't bring anything else with him, and his ability to break plays out of the draw evaporated against NFL defenses. Nonetheless, he was drafted to be that change-of-pace 3rd. down back, and carried into 2012 in the hope he'd make the jump.

From 2007 - 2009, Brandon Jackson, (2nd. round pick) was the change of pace/3rd. down back, averaging 6 touches per game, complementing Grant as the starting back. That was the plan for 2010 before Grant's season ending injury on opening day. Jackson was then miscast as the starter. With Starks emergence, Jackson went back to spot duty. Without Starks there would have been no Super Bowl.

2015 was the first season in nearly a decade where there was no plan to have a change of pace back on the roster, with Harris and Crockett both between-the-tackles pounders. There is one caveat: Montgomery. There may have been a plan to use him out of the backfield as the change-of-pace guy. He did that a little, but with the other receiver injuries followed by his own any plan along those lines would have been derailed.

So, unless the plan is to use the "Field Marshal" in that role in 2016, I would expect the Packers to bring in a rookie change-of-pace guy. They probably will regardless since they have always started the season with 3 RBs even when Cobb was projected (and occasionally used) for change of pace.

I could see the Packers going as high as the 4th. round if the right guy is still on the board.

H

HardRightEdge

Critical reading is important here:So this is very old news since the "interest" was prior to signing James Starks....according to the guy who "broke" the news.

Even if this were current and relevant, I would think that this is more agent/player posturing more than actual interest from the Packers. Not news.
Maybe, maybe not. I was at the gym yesterday afternoon and ESPN threw up a banner proclaiming Packer interest in Hillman, 11 days after the Starks signing was first reported. The sound was off so I could not hear what they were saying.
It could be a rumor bouncing off the walls of the echo chamber long past it's sell-by date. Maybe not.

The Pats reportedly showed interest in Starks which may have increased his price to the Packers. Maybe Thompson got wind of Pat's interest in Hillman and wanted to return the favor. ;)

The story gains plausibility from the Packers need for a change-of-pace back. It's reasonable to think that guy will be a rookie.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The source article was posted on Monday, yet Starks was signed in mid-March. They ran an article on this website and ESPN based upon sources from early March. Shoddy journalism. ESPN didn't have anything else to run on their banner.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they'll address change of pace thru Montgomery moving to the backfield at times and thru the draft. I guess if Hillman came at a vet minimum maybe. Not losing Franklin to a neck injury a few years ago, we might not be having this discussion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think they'll address change of pace thru Montgomery moving to the backfield at times and thru the draft. I guess if Hillman came at a vet minimum maybe. Not losing Franklin to a neck injury a few years ago, we might not be having this discussion.

Imagine Montgomery/Cobb lined up in the backfield, with Jordy and Adams split out wide. Cook at TE and Cobb/Montgomery in the slot.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine Montgomery/Cobb lined up in the backfield, with Jordy and Adams split out wide. Cook at TE and Cobb/Montgomery in the slot.

That's a filthy line-up. But tbh, I don't have much faith that they'll all be healthy at the same time very often.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a filthy line-up. But tbh, I don't have much faith that they'll all be healthy at the same time very often.

Montgomery really worries me. I think Jordy will be fine but Ty and that ankle is really worrisome.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that it's not McCarthy's MO at this point, but I'd like to see what Ripkowski can do as a lead for Lacy & Starks this season.

Members online

Latest posts