RB/KR Clifton Smith visited Green Bay

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its funny how they cut this guy to make room for one of our own. Lumpkin. I looked at some Tampa area articles after reading what PackerRS posted and alot of the fans down there were pissed that TB cut him.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Twitter / Clifton Smith Jr.: Green bay here I come!!!

He is a pro bowl kick returner. Looks like the final piece may be already in place...

Special teams coach is really happy to get this guy I am sure. Could save his job........maybe not. Clifton Smith has been having health issues the last year or so but hopefully.......he can do for us what Desmond Howard did during our last Superbowl. Put us over the top.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
OH SNAP!!! Ha ha. But, he has a history of concussions. Not so good. The bucs released him, that means they must think he is done. Well, can't be worse than what we got now.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OH SNAP!!! Ha ha. But, he has a history of concussions. Not so good. The bucs released him, that means they must think he is done. Well, can't be worse than what we got now.
May as well try.
When ya ain't got nuthin, ya ain't got nuthin to lose.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Hold your horses folks. Here's the buc fans discussing it.

[ame="http://www.bucschat.com/showthread.php?t=25606"]Clifton Smith and Hardman got cut loose... - BucsChat.com[/ame]

Not exactly glowing reviews. Last thing MM likes is a guy who can't hold onto the ball. Sounds like this guy has fumblitis BAD!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to see Peanut go. Yes they have other returners, but they aren't as good. (unless Peanut is too injured) I actually prefer the returner be just a returner. Focusing too much time on another position usually dampens their return skills.

Look at Devin Hester. Was the best/ most dynamic return man in the game. Now he is just a very mediocre receiver and returner. 11 kick returns for touchdowns in 2006/07 and zero the last two years.
his is a MISTAKE! Where is the stinkin' loyalty to any player on this team? You don't cut a Pro Bowl caliber guy just because he had a slow start in preseason. Yet another big foul up from a too young and inexperienced "Jr. GM". From the stupid re-signing last year of Clayton when other teams wanted him in free agency to the unceremonious dismissal of one of the greatest LB's to ever play the game in Derrick Brooks. Now we lose a fan favorite, special teams depth and a PROVEN dynamic punt/kick return in "Peanut"!
There had to be some sort of trade option in there somewhere for a former Pro Bowl Returner.
I wish the Bucs could have retained Smith. I still tink Preston Parker could've easily been snuck onto the practice squad and I'm sure Smith is far more explosive as a return man.
They risked this possibility when they subjected Smith, the smallest player on the team, to running up the middle behind a confused screen-door OLine last year. Looks like the Bucs have decided to shun ValRita's advice and supplement their roster with "cast-offs" from other teams.
Umm... our Kregg Lumpkin is one guy they signed.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does fumble alot when u look at the stat sheet.

3 fumbles on 12 rushes
2 fumbles on 36 KR in 2008 but none over 31 in 2009.

He's worth a look. Think we'll cut one of the FBs now with a third HB?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when comparing his stats to Jordys I dont see a big difference. I must be missing something.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9uaQ_q1KTI&feature=related]YouTube - Pro Bowl 2009 Clifton Smith Highlights[/ame]

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope we sign him. When healthy and holding on to the ball he's pretty good. I remember him getting us on a big KR last season.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....Only the last one makes any sense to me. Wonder where he's headed? Sounds like they were offering slightly more money or what? Ted's such a tightass if that's the case.

3irty1

Fear the Dreads!
Reaction score
Ted probably doesn't want to pay him RB/KR/PR money, just KR/PR money. He can probably find a place that needs both, in which case they'll pay more for him.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Bummer, dude might have had some potential for us. Wonder if that's a bargaining tactic.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could be wrong though.. Re-reading it, it sounds like he might not have made a decision yet.

Either way, he's a low risk/high reward kind of guy. He's had some serious injuries in recent years, but is pretty good when he's healthy.

normsizedmidget

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted probably doesn't want to pay him RB/KR/PR money, just KR/PR money. He can probably find a place that needs both, in which case they'll pay more for him.

Which is what? The difference of maybe 200k? That's what chaps my ***. We overpay guys every year, at least this extra quarter million or whatever it may be would be worth it to keep key guys out of harms way on returns.

Members online

Latest posts