Raynor joins the Packers' Kicking derby by Rob Demovsky-PG

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the following is According to an Article in the Press-Gazette sports section today, April 11, 2006 by Rob Demovsky entitled "Rayner joins Packer's kicking derby"

"He might be nothing more than a training-camp leg, but the Green Bay packers have lined up another Kicker to audition for the job of replacing Ryan Longwell.

The Packers claimed former 6 round draft pick Dave Rayner off waiver wires from the Indiana Colts.

Ryner said he learned of the transaction late last week and will report to the Packers on Sunday to begin workouts with the team Monday

As a rookie in 2005, Rayner handled kickoffs for the Colts during the first 14 games of the season but struggled late in the season and was released when the team hired Jose Cortez.

He attempted only one field goal, a 59 yarder that he missed.

The Packers last month signed former Dallas Cowboy kicker and almost certainly are not done auditioning replacement for Longwell.

"There is no telling." Packers special teams coach Mike Stock said when asked how many kickers the team will look out.." It depends on how they work out when they get here.. it's going to take some time. Nothing is going to happen overnight.".........." unquote

There is only the first part of the article about About Rayner but I was unable to copy it and paste it , because it has yet to be posted on Packersnewsforum. I only included the first part of article which I got from the sport page Green Bay Press-Gazette this morning . The rest of the article is Rayner's bio. If anybody is interested, I will post the rest of the article if requested.

Some of posters can rest your fingers about negative postings(such as Billy Cundiff) on the kickers the Packers bring in to audition for Ryan longwell's job, there could be many. Nobody including Billy Cundiff has the job.

As Dave Raynor said at the end of the article "I wanted to go somewhere and be able to compete and have an opportunity to kick." "There no set kicker there. We're all on the same level. The best man will win."

The Packers are a long way from annointing any kicker, the next replacement to Longwell. There could be many kickers auditioning and probably none with the skills Ryan Longwell has. But Longwell is gone and trashing any Kicker coming in to compete for the job, does not accomplish anything.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should see some rugby games and sign a kicker, maybe even some bad soocer players that can kick hard should be brought to compete..

We will miss Longwell, We will learn that a kicker is important and we will learn it the hard way.

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
TT should see some rugby games and sign a kicker, maybe even some bad soocer players that can kick hard should be brought to compete..

We will miss Longwell, We will learn that a kicker is important and we will learn it the hard way.

Of course kickers are important, but they can be found. Longwell was a FA who had been cut by SF when the Packers picked him up. The Bears won 12 games last year with a guy I'd never heard of before. Can't remember his name now.

Members online

Latest posts