Rayner, as the lone kicker, does fine

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersnews.com:

Second-year kicker Dave Rayner wanted a chance to prove himself to the Green Bay Packers on Saturday night.

Through no fault of his own, he didn't get that chance.

Rayner did everything that was asked of him.

He connected on:

# A 30-yard field goal.

# All five of his extra points.

All that, and five of his six kickoffs reached the end zone.

Rayner said he would have liked a chance to show the Packers he could connect on a long field goal, but thanks largely to the Packers' effective offense, he never got that chance in a 38-10 preseason win over the Atlanta Falcons at Lambeau Field.

"I'll take 38 points anytime," Rayner said. "I would have loved to have kicked a 45-yard field goal, but I'll never complain when we win a game like this."

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I likr him because of his power, around the leauge a lot of the kickers are about accuracy. Power is not a bad thing to have

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 of 6 kickoffs in the end zone. I say we keep him just for that! Too bad our special teams can't break a wedge yet.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
5 of 6 kickoffs in the end zone. I say we keep him just for that! Too bad our special teams can't break a wedge yet.

Yeah, this is much more important than hitting game winning 40+ yarders. :roll: I have a feeling that by the end of the year, we're all going to be nostalgic for Longwell's kickoffs to the 10 yard line because the guy was automatic from 40+ yards.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longwell WAS automatic........up till last season. Like anytime you get a new kicker, you will worry until he comes up with a big kick to win a game.
Now, i could be wrong, but at the beginning of his career, didn't Longwell miss a chip shot field goal against the Eagles that would have won the game? I think it was longwell.
My point is, all kickers miss sometimes. Now, i hope this guy turns out to be good, or they get another leg in there.
Seeing a Packer kicker kick the ball to the endzone WAS a refreshing site to me! Haven't seen that in a LONG time.

Reaction score
Good points TO, but to add to that is that Rayner's kickoffs were line drives, that kept low and didn't allow his kickoff coverage unit a great deal of time to get down field.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the good ponts AADP - although, if the kick get's to the endzone the coverage team a)has further to go and b)often won't be necessary! <g> If you're fortunate enough to be kicking off a lot then keeping the opponent start from their 20 ain't a bad thing at all.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
Longwell WAS automatic........up till last season. Like anytime you get a new kicker, you will worry until he comes up with a big kick to win a game.
Now, i could be wrong, but at the beginning of his career, didn't Longwell miss a chip shot field goal against the Eagles that would have won the game? I think it was longwell.

Yeah, it was Longwell. I'm sure the rain caused the missed field goal that day and the holder didn't quite tilt the ball enough forward and the laces were once inch farther to the left than expected and..........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts