1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ray Rice

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Feb 13, 2015.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    im going to ask the impossible. Can we keep this just a football discussion? I know the moral argument. I know everyone hates him. That conversation won't get anywhere. So I ask the question

Could we benefit from signing Ray Rice? A cheap back with similar style as lacy, I picture him nearly splitting carries with lacy and keep the wear and tear off our feature back. In case of ashma he can substitute for lacy.

Would he benefit the packers offense?

2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,609
    Rice was terrible in 2013 averaging 3.1 yards on 214 carries. No, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    It was his first year below 4.0 yards a carry in his career. The previous year he averaged 4.4 and the year before that 4.7

With time off to heal up he could easily get back to those numbers. 1 bad year doesn't mean he is no longer any good, as a decline didn't preceded it (4.7 to 4.4 isn't a decline in the sense of the term for rbs)

4. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,787
    No, his best years are a couple years ago. I don't think we need to take any more carries away from Lacy than we already do and I think a complimentary back like Starks or even someone with another complimentary skill set is preferred over a similar back in Lacy.

I think our offense is diverse enough with the players to run and win a lot of different ways, I don't think Rice fits in at his age and declining skill set.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    I think behind our O-line, he'd be good.

But this isn't a team where you can't have a "strictly football" discussion, because this is a team where it's not just about how you play football.

6. KyraReppe5

KyraReppe5 "We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."

Ratings:
    +105
    I think running back is the least of the Packers concerns.

7. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,714
    Lots of mileage on Rice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525

No don't want him. It has absolutely nothing to do with what he did, eventhough it was dispicable, I just don't think it's a need nor do I think he adds any value. Just my personal opinion

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +331
  10. OCBP

OCBP Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +102
    Love Starks and the relationship he has with Lacy and the O. Have you ever heard Starks complain about his number of touches?

Concentrate on the D for potential FA's.

Suh?

11. Ace

Ace Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +525
    See 2 previous threads on this topic ;)

12. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,909
    Why not just sign Rice, Peterson and Suh.......a hung jury may allow Hernandez to suit up again too.......I may move up the waiting list for my season tickets a lot quicker!

Come on man!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506
    Lets wait to see if the try to resign Guion before coming to that conclusion.

14. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506
    No you wouldn't because you already said you would take your name off the list if they signed Suh.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    No, I don't see him benefiting us in any way, and I don't see a situation where he'd be the #3 RB being anything he'd be interested in as a FA, either.

16. Joe Nor Cal Packer

Joe Nor Cal Packer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +122
    No, not Ray Rice, not ever, not even if we needed a RB, which we don't. An interesting question to ask, I suppose. But IMO the answer is no.

17. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    He was terrible all of 2013 (before he started punching his wife in elevators). The 2015 version of Ray Rice is a far cry from the Ray Rice who won the Super Bowl in 2012.

18. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    He'd be a good backup RB. Signing him to start and get a lot of reps is asking for a lot.

Keep in mind, whoever signs him, will be for the veteran minimum. So he'll come extra extra cheap.

19. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Starks is under contract for next year for a little less than $1.5M, bonuses included, according to rotoworld.

20. Pack12TX

Pack12TX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but.....
    We played the Ravens in December 2009 - a night game at Lambeau. We beat the Ravens that night and during Ray Rice's presser he totally bashed the city of Green Bay - talking about how GB was just a terrible place. Based on his comments alone, I wouldn't consider signing this piece of garbage.

Ray Rice doesn't like Green Bay
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 8, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
    Ravens running back Ray Rice, who was anything but his recently electric self against the Packers on Monday night, likely can forget about ever donning a yellow helmet with a slightly squished “G” on each side.

After Monday night’s 27-14 loss, Rice took aim at the stadium in which the game was played, and the city in which the stadium is situated.

“To be honest with you, it was just
    Lambeau Field,” Rice said, per Drew Olson of OnMilwaukee.com. “I didn’t see anything special. They put us in
    the middle of nowhere and it’s not a real exciting place.

Everything about this place is terrible, to be honest with you.”

Ray? You’re from New Rochelle, New York. You went to college in Piscataway, New Jersey. And now you live in Baltimore.

Not that we have a problem with any of those places. But if Rice is going to cop an attitude about Green Bay, then we need to point out that he doesn’t spend the bulk of his time in Manhattan or Paris or some other place that would satisfy the exacting standards that he apparently compromises when choosing where he’ll live.

We know he had no choice when it came to being drafted by the Ravens. Still, the guy shouldn’t be looking down his nose at a small city with a low crime rate and a population that, per capita, has more zeal for pro football than any other city in the world.

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +506
    He would change his tune in a big hurry if the Packers were the only team to offer him a job.

I'm sure there are more players who feel that way they just don't say it We are so used to hearing players saying how great it is to play at such a historic venue and such but I'm sure a lot of them are just saying saying the right thing. Lets face it unless they are true historians of the game to most of these players Lambeau Field and Green Bay Wisconsin haven't been truly significant in their life times. At least not any more significant than cities such as Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, Boston. I'm guessing even a few Packers players don't view it as much more than the place they play their home games. Sure some of the mystique rubs off on them and the history is bound to have some impact and the way they are treated like Gods in the city and the state can't help but impart some influence but again, its not like they were part of the glory years where they have some sort of tie. Their only tie is the uniform.

To Packer fans it is Mecca and to people who are fans of the history of the game it is something special but to most players its probably not much more than a cold as hell place to play a game in December and January. I know its blasphemy to say such things but its true.

22. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +962
    For $2 - 3 million a year, maybe more. But it's Rice that would need to pay the Packers for that to happen, not the other way around.

23. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    I actually got into it with him on Twitter over his comments. He eventually apologized to me over it.
    Reggie white, Brett favre, and Charles Woodson all made negative or anti GB comments before they put on the jersey for the 1st time.

• Like Like x 1
  24. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    There's not a need at RB, I don't know who he would take carries from, and frankly, his reputation is too tarnished right now for us to want to associate with him. I can only see a team desperate for RB help wanting to take that chance and we aren't that team.

If Harris isn't back, there will be open competition for the #3 RB spot, probably headed by Rajion Neal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +20
    Ray Rice doesn't help us. What I think we need is another big back like Lacy, instead of these scat backs. I get the change of pace aspect, but what happens to a wall if you keep battering it with a battering ram?