Ray Rice

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im going to ask the impossible. Can we keep this just a football discussion? I know the moral argument. I know everyone hates him. That conversation won't get anywhere. So I ask the question

Could we benefit from signing Ray Rice? A cheap back with similar style as lacy, I picture him nearly splitting carries with lacy and keep the wear and tear off our feature back. In case of ashma he can substitute for lacy.

Would he benefit the packers offense?

D

Deleted member 6794

im going to ask the impossible. Can we keep this just a football discussion? I know the moral argument. I know everyone hates him. That conversation won't get anywhere. So I ask the question

Could we benefit from signing Ray Rice? A cheap back with similar style as lacy, I picture him nearly splitting carries with lacy and keep the wear and tear off our feature back. In case of ashma he can substitute for lacy.

Rice was terrible in 2013 averaging 3.1 yards on 214 carries. No, thanks.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rice was terrible in 2013 averaging 3.1 yards on 214 carries. No, thanks.
It was his first year below 4.0 yards a carry in his career. The previous year he averaged 4.4 and the year before that 4.7

With time off to heal up he could easily get back to those numbers. 1 bad year doesn't mean he is no longer any good, as a decline didn't preceded it (4.7 to 4.4 isn't a decline in the sense of the term for rbs)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, his best years are a couple years ago. I don't think we need to take any more carries away from Lacy than we already do and I think a complimentary back like Starks or even someone with another complimentary skill set is preferred over a similar back in Lacy.

I think our offense is diverse enough with the players to run and win a lot of different ways, I don't think Rice fits in at his age and declining skill set.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think behind our O-line, he'd be good.

But this isn't a team where you can't have a "strictly football" discussion, because this is a team where it's not just about how you play football.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No don't want him. It has absolutely nothing to do with what he did, eventhough it was dispicable, I just don't think it's a need nor do I think he adds any value. Just my personal opinion

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love Starks and the relationship he has with Lacy and the O. Have you ever heard Starks complain about his number of touches?

Concentrate on the D for potential FA's.

Suh?

See 2 previous threads on this topic ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why not just sign Rice, Peterson and Suh.......a hung jury may allow Hernandez to suit up again too.......I may move up the waiting list for my season tickets a lot quicker!

Come on man!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think behind our O-line, he'd be good.

But this isn't a team where you can't have a "strictly football" discussion, because this is a team where it's not just about how you play football.

Lets wait to see if the try to resign Guion before coming to that conclusion.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just sign Rice, Peterson and Suh.......a hung jury may allow Hernandez to suit up again too.......I may move up the waiting list for my season tickets a lot quicker!

Come on man!

No you wouldn't because you already said you would take your name off the list if they signed Suh.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I don't see him benefiting us in any way, and I don't see a situation where he'd be the #3 RB being anything he'd be interested in as a FA, either.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was terrible all of 2013 (before he started punching his wife in elevators). The 2015 version of Ray Rice is a far cry from the Ray Rice who won the Super Bowl in 2012.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be a good backup RB. Signing him to start and get a lot of reps is asking for a lot.

Keep in mind, whoever signs him, will be for the veteran minimum. So he'll come extra extra cheap.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Starks is under contract for next year for a little less than $1.5M, bonuses included, according to rotoworld.

Pack12TX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but.....
We played the Ravens in December 2009 - a night game at Lambeau. We beat the Ravens that night and during Ray Rice's presser he totally bashed the city of Green Bay - talking about how GB was just a terrible place. Based on his comments alone, I wouldn't consider signing this piece of garbage.

Ray Rice doesn't like Green Bay
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 8, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
Ravens running back Ray Rice, who was anything but his recently electric self against the Packers on Monday night, likely can forget about ever donning a yellow helmet with a slightly squished “G” on each side.

After Monday night’s 27-14 loss, Rice took aim at the stadium in which the game was played, and the city in which the stadium is situated.

“To be honest with you, it was just
Lambeau Field,” Rice said, per Drew Olson of OnMilwaukee.com. “I didn’t see anything special. They put us in
the middle of nowhere and it’s not a real exciting place.

Everything about this place is terrible, to be honest with you.”

Ray? You’re from New Rochelle, New York. You went to college in Piscataway, New Jersey. And now you live in Baltimore.

Not that we have a problem with any of those places. But if Rice is going to cop an attitude about Green Bay, then we need to point out that he doesn’t spend the bulk of his time in Manhattan or Paris or some other place that would satisfy the exacting standards that he apparently compromises when choosing where he’ll live.

We know he had no choice when it came to being drafted by the Ravens. Still, the guy shouldn’t be looking down his nose at a small city with a low crime rate and a population that, per capita, has more zeal for pro football than any other city in the world.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He would change his tune in a big hurry if the Packers were the only team to offer him a job.

I'm sure there are more players who feel that way they just don't say it We are so used to hearing players saying how great it is to play at such a historic venue and such but I'm sure a lot of them are just saying saying the right thing. Lets face it unless they are true historians of the game to most of these players Lambeau Field and Green Bay Wisconsin haven't been truly significant in their life times. At least not any more significant than cities such as Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Dallas, Boston. I'm guessing even a few Packers players don't view it as much more than the place they play their home games. Sure some of the mystique rubs off on them and the history is bound to have some impact and the way they are treated like Gods in the city and the state can't help but impart some influence but again, its not like they were part of the glory years where they have some sort of tie. Their only tie is the uniform.

To Packer fans it is Mecca and to people who are fans of the history of the game it is something special but to most players its probably not much more than a cold as hell place to play a game in December and January. I know its blasphemy to say such things but its true.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if it has been mentioned yet or not, but.....
We played the Ravens in December 2009 - a night game at Lambeau. We beat the Ravens that night and during Ray Rice's presser he totally bashed the city of Green Bay - talking about how GB was just a terrible place. Based on his comments alone, I wouldn't consider signing this piece of garbage.

Ray Rice doesn't like Green Bay
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 8, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
Ravens running back Ray Rice, who was anything but his recently electric self against the Packers on Monday night, likely can forget about ever donning a yellow helmet with a slightly squished “G” on each side.

After Monday night’s 27-14 loss, Rice took aim at the stadium in which the game was played, and the city in which the stadium is situated.

“To be honest with you, it was just
Lambeau Field,” Rice said, per Drew Olson of OnMilwaukee.com. “I didn’t see anything special. They put us in
the middle of nowhere and it’s not a real exciting place.

Everything about this place is terrible, to be honest with you.”

Ray? You’re from New Rochelle, New York. You went to college in Piscataway, New Jersey. And now you live in Baltimore.

Not that we have a problem with any of those places. But if Rice is going to cop an attitude about Green Bay, then we need to point out that he doesn’t spend the bulk of his time in Manhattan or Paris or some other place that would satisfy the exacting standards that he apparently compromises when choosing where he’ll live.

We know he had no choice when it came to being drafted by the Ravens. Still, the guy shouldn’t be looking down his nose at a small city with a low crime rate and a population that, per capita, has more zeal for pro football than any other city in the world.

I actually got into it with him on Twitter over his comments. He eventually apologized to me over it.
Reggie white, Brett favre, and Charles Woodson all made negative or anti GB comments before they put on the jersey for the 1st time.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's not a need at RB, I don't know who he would take carries from, and frankly, his reputation is too tarnished right now for us to want to associate with him. I can only see a team desperate for RB help wanting to take that chance and we aren't that team.

If Harris isn't back, there will be open competition for the #3 RB spot, probably headed by Rajion Neal.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Rice doesn't help us. What I think we need is another big back like Lacy, instead of these scat backs. I get the change of pace aspect, but what happens to a wall if you keep battering it with a battering ram?

Members online

Latest posts