Ray Rhodes

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious what led to Ray Rhodes being one and done here? Looking through stats, the Packers barely missed the playoffs in 1999. Yet, Sherman survived three " average" ( Two home playoff losses, 4Th & 26 Playoff game) years from 02-04. Keep in mind it took a Vikings collapse to make it in 03.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
11-5 playoff team to 8-8. It,followed the trend Coach Rhodes had in Philly where he headed up a perrenial playoff team at the outset to a 4-12 team which got h i m canned there. Personnally, I was shocked when Wolf hired Rhodes in the first place - but in Ron Wolf I trusted. Over the course,of the year, stories coming out of the locker room portrayed a locker room being run by the inmates -- a complete lack of discipline because the Coach was more interested in being the player's friend than their boss...and, it showed on the field.

Why Sherman was kept around? 12-4 seasons. He too was axed after a 4-12 finish.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not sure if Wolf ever gave any rock solid reasons for the firing. I get the impression he just saw the team headed in a different direction then he thought it should be and in his eyes was underachieving. While this article doesn't answer your question direct, it has some good insights. Interesting Bill Belichick was on the list of coaches that could be considered in replacing Rhodes. How would the Packers look today if that would have happened?

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/307231671.html

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rhodes pretty much lost the team. Rumors were nobody really respected him because he commanded none. He pretty much let everyone do whatever they wanted. While there should be no need to micromanage professionals, they still need structure, rules and direction. Rhodes didn't have or give any.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically what everyone else has mentioned. Rhodes let the players walk all over him and nobody respected him as a leader. I didn't like his hiring in the first place and I am glad that Sherman took his place...and I still believe Sherman was a better game-day coach than McCarthy ever will be.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically what everyone else has mentioned. Rhodes let the players walk all over him and nobody respected him as a leader. I didn't like his hiring in the first place and I am glad that Sherman took his place...and I still believe Sherman was a better game-day coach than McCarthy ever will be.
I liked Sherman as a person, but absolutely hated him as a game day coach

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Sherman as a person, but absolutely hated him as a game day coach

4th and 26 never even needed to happen . The Packers had the ball at the Eagles 40, 4th and 1, with a chance to win the game with a first. Sherman lined up to go for it, Andy Reid called timeout ..and Sherman folded.

After that game I started losing a lot of respect and faith in Sherman. I thought it was ridiculous that he scapegoated Donatell for 4th and 26, even after it was revealed that Donatell wanted to bring extra pressure on the play and Sherman overruled him. He never seemed too big on self accountability -- I don't recall him admitting to one mistake in his time here. I also vaguely recall him throwing Bubba Franks under the bus as a rookie.

I'll grant that Sherman was 10 times better of a coach than he was a GM, but given that he was probably the worst GM in franchise history, that's not saying much.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember an interview with Vonnie Holliday after Rhodes was fired,and he basically said there was NO discipline on the team and that the players could do pretty much as they wished. He went on to say that training camp under Sherman was completely different and that the players had a new found enthusiasm.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf said that he saw a significant change in the attitude and demeanor of the team about mid-season, which he feared would continue on into the next year under Rhodes. Now, Ray was a pretty good DC for the Packers but just was ill-prepared for the head role. Sherman was a good coach but atrocious GM, paying big FA money for duds, making questionable picks in the draft, and completely neglecting the O-line. Sherman would have been fine with a GM to help him, but struggled to handle both jobs. Had TT been brought in sooner, I'm not sure that we would have had the bad year in 2004 that led to his firing. Sherman and TT could have worked well together.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4th and 26 never even needed to happen . The Packers had the ball at the Eagles 40, 4th and 1, with a chance to win the game with a first. Sherman lined up to go for it, Andy
4th and 26 never even needed to happen . The Packers had the ball at the Eagles 40, 4th and 1, with a chance to win the game with a first. Sherman lined up to go for it, Andy Reid called timeout ..and Sherman folded.

After that game I started losing a lot of respect and faith in Sherman. I thought it was ridiculous that he scapegoated Donatell for 4th and 26, even after it was revealed that Donatell wanted to bring extra pressure on the play and Sherman overruled him. He never seemed too big on self accountability -- I don't recall him admitting to one mistake in his time here. I also vaguely recall him throwing Bubba Franks under the bus as a rookie.

I'll grant that Sherman was 10 times better of a coach than he was a GM, but given that he was probably the worst GM in franchise history, that's not saying much.
I almost mentioned the 4th and 26 since it was probably the most famous, but I remember several several other instances that were just as bad. I remember him blowing a big lead in a game against Kansas City with ultra conservative play calling that lead to an unnecessary loss as well. Incidentally, in that Philly game, prior to 4th and 26 The Packers had been literally running the ball down the the Eagles throat, then suddenly 1 more yard was apparently too much to try for so he punted... The result was a touchback saving about 20 yards.

Members online

Latest posts