Ravens week 2017

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Packers get to take their rejuvenated rushing attack against the 5th worst rushing defense. If Hundley passes much at all against their 3rd ranked pass defense I'd be surprised. Maybe playing the leagues worst passing attack will help Capers save his job. See if he sells out to stop their top 10 rushing attack. One thing for sure, I'd not expect a record threatening aerial assault by either team in this game.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing can save Capers Job if Pack miss playoffs. Also Capers got lucky the Bears Offense is not very good as they got a really new Work in progress QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how hard Williams ran yesterday, nothing was easy, he had to fight hard for every yard and he gained some important ones by doing that. But I wish we had jones' explosive running style. Just a bit quicker and more burst. But alas, we won't see him for a while

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the worst time to say we have a "rejuvenated" rushing attack IMO because the two two RBs are injured. Aaron Jones will be out a month and who knows about Ty Montgomery. Luckily Jamall Williams has an easy test for his first start.

Reaction score
Neither of these Offenses have shown explosive capabilities. Joe Flacco was saying coming out of the bye week that they needed to go all out this week ( which I ain't gonna lie has me a little worried with our passing D) One thing that we were successful at last Sunday was controlling the clock and limiting mistakes. I love the tenacity of Jamaal Williams I'd challenge him to carry that over this week.
We have to concentrate in 2 areas this week. Watching the game clock will avoid eating up TimeOuts and this is a result of playing slow.. and Special Teams holding penalties/blocking in the back are killing us especially when Davis has had some nice returns (these are sometimes 30+ yard net penalties which are essentially the equivalent of 2 unsportsmanlike penalties on top of one another) They must go away and go away yesterday Mr Slocum
We need to involve our TE's and RB's more in the short passing game. I'd also stay away from those dangerous sideline throws on our side of the field that's an INT pick 6 game changer for them and at best a 5-10 yard gain for us which is not a good trade off!
Use the middle of the field more on slants and limit the screens and passes behind the LOS.
We can beat this team but we need to be firing on all cylinders and limiting mistakes.

Last edited:

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Ravens suck. They blew out the Dolphins without Jay Cutler at home on a Thursday night - not exactly what I would call an impressive win. They also beat the Bengals, Browns, and Raiders and were blown out by the Jaguars and Steelers. However, they are in second place behind the Steelers and another loss was to the Vikings, so it should not be labeled an "easy" win for a team missing its starting QB and RB.

H

HardRightEdge

The Ravens suck. They blew out the Dolphins without Jay Cutler at home on a Thursday night - not exactly what I would call an impressive win. They also beat the Bengals, Browns, and Raiders and were blown out by the Jaguars and Steelers. However, they are in second place behind the Steelers and another loss was to the Vikings, so it should not be labeled an "easy" win for a team missing its starting QB and RB.
I don't see anybody labeling it an easy win. This team will be scratching out any win they can manage including against Cleveland in Cleveland. :eek: They just can't score enough with this up-and-down middling defense to raise anything but doubt in every game.

I had Hundley down for two wins after the Detroit game; 1 more over the next 4 still seems about right. I would not venture a guess as to which one. They just look like that kind of team. I would like to be surprised but I don't expect it.

This was not a long play scoring team even with Rodgers since nearly forever. The main thing you lose when you lose Rodgers is red zone scoring. Hundley has not shown he can bring that with any consistency and that keeps the scoring down while kicking FGs in the red zone swings momentum to the opponent.

It all adds up to keeping games low scoring to have a chance to win. Any game they lose the turnover battle will be a loss.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we lost three weeks ago was leadership. Brett Hundley does not have "the it" that is crucial especially during the fourth quarter. If we trail in Baltimore, can we trust him to be a leader? Or are we just worried about his right arm?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing can save Capers Job if Pack miss playoffs. Also Capers got lucky the Bears Offense is not very good as they got a really new Work in progress QB.
I posted an article the other day which explains why Capers still has a job.
MM loyalty, giving him chances, blah, blah, blah.
Capers isn't going anywhere.

H

HardRightEdge

What we lost three weeks ago was leadership. Brett Hundley does not have "the it" that is crucial especially during the fourth quarter. If we trail in Baltimore, can we trust him to be a leader? Or are we just worried about his right arm?
No, we're worried about his head more than his arm, or at least I am. You need both. Whatever Hundley may become, he's just now learning the NFL game. There is absolutely no substitute for money game experience and on-the-job training is that much tougher on the road.

There isn't much about Rodgers that says inspirational leader, a trait I believe to be overrated anyway. Rodgers is an introvert. He leads by performance, and that performance is set by what he does with his head and his arm and the confidence he has in his abilities. When he ain't balling, the team goes flat. When he is balling, the team jumps on his back. With Hundley, they have to step it up and do their jobs for all 60 minutes because he's not going to carry them.

Last edited by a moderator:

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers got lucky against a work-in-progress Bears QB.....that threw for 297 yards. In rainy conditions. On a field that was in a less than stellar condition at best.

For a Bears offense that isn't very good and with the above said, Capers got exposed more than he ever could have imagined. At this point we would be better off with no coach calling plays on defense. Just use "backyard" football rules and cover your man. It really wouldn't be any worse.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense was our defense. Can play really pretty well and then gives it up in chunks. On that fumble at the goal line. They had just converted 3rd and long and then were faced with a 3rd and 13 that went for 20+? thankfully he fumbled. Outside of a handful plus a couple, of plays, the Chicago offense didn't do much of anything and their good running attack was stuffed and rendered useless. It really surprised me that they had as many passing yards as the final stats say, but they have a way of creeping up on this defense when you give them up so much at a time.

But they were clearly playing to stop the run, as that was Chicago's strength, and they did. 55 yards against a really good running team? that's a pretty good day. Make the kid beat you with his arm, and he didn't. But big plays passing. 3rd and 9 for 26 yards. another pass for 31 yards. Get handful of those and you're already at 240+ in passing for the game. But Chicago also had a lot of single digit or negative yard drives too. I think the defense was better than the 300 yards passing show overall, but at the same time. It's been those big plays that have killed this defense for a long time now. How many 3rd and 13's do we need to give up in a year?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Our run defense is more than capable when healthy. It certainly played into our favor against the Bears, and has the potential to really play into our favor against the Ravens at home.

Interestingly, Baltimore is 10th in the NFL in rushing yards/game while Chicago is 9th. Baltimore is dead last in passing yards/game (32nd) while Chicago is next to dead last (31st)! How's that for a similar matchup?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pressure Whacko Flacco and he will throw ints...that's a FACT. On another note, he's a vet, a vet with a cannon arm, so don't expect him to shy away from testing our corners and safeties deep like Mitch did. At the same time, he's also slow as a snail so he can't really hurt us with his legs but if they can't get pressure on him he could easily light us up for about 400 and a couple TDs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The defense was our defense. Can play really pretty well and then gives it up in chunks. On that fumble at the goal line. They had just converted 3rd and long and then were faced with a 3rd and 13 that went for 20+? thankfully he fumbled. Outside of a handful plus a couple, of plays, the Chicago offense didn't do much of anything and their good running attack was stuffed and rendered useless. It really surprised me that they had as many passing yards as the final stats say, but they have a way of creeping up on this defense when you give them up so much at a time.

But they were clearly playing to stop the run, as that was Chicago's strength, and they did. 55 yards against a really good running team? that's a pretty good day. Make the kid beat you with his arm, and he didn't. But big plays passing. 3rd and 9 for 26 yards. another pass for 31 yards. Get handful of those and you're already at 240+ in passing for the game. But Chicago also had a lot of single digit or negative yard drives too. I think the defense was better than the 300 yards passing show overall, but at the same time. It's been those big plays that have killed this defense for a long time now. How many 3rd and 13's do we need to give up in a year?

I think you hit on the problem with the Packers defense within the context of your comment. The Packer defense seems to always bend quite a bit between the 20's and then try to rely on clamping down and keeping the other team out of the endzone or get a little lucky and get a turnover. While this can work and it sort of did against a weak offense like Bears, it can also bite you in the butt. When you keep giving up 3rd and longs because you missed a tackle or blew an assignment, or you bend too much and the other team finds the endzone too often, if your offense can't keep up, you are done.

I don't have an answer for how to change this, but watching this defense over the years, they are no longer the "Bend but don't break" defense that is required to win games. Too often they appear to be the "Bending over and grabbing our ankles" defense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another dicey game that could go either way at any point. believe it or not the Packers have better o and d numbers than them although the numbers under Rodgers skew those ratings. their qb is better than ours so there's the 2 point favorite the ravens are.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think you hit on the problem with the Packers defense within the context of your comment. The Packer defense seems to always bend quite a bit between the 20's and then try to rely on clamping down and keeping the other team out of the endzone or get a little lucky and get a turnover. While this can work and it sort of did against a weak offense like Bears, it can also bite you in the butt. When you keep giving up 3rd and longs because you missed a tackle or blew an assignment, or you bend too much and the other team finds the endzone too often, if your offense can't keep up, you are done.

I don't have an answer for how to change this, but watching this defense over the years, they are no longer the "Bend but don't break" defense that is required to win games. Too often they appear to be the "Bending over and grabbing our ankles" defense.
If this approach has been inefficient at times with Rodgers at quarterback, it's no mystery why it would be troubling with Hundley.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If this approach has been inefficient at times with Rodgers at quarterback, it's no mystery why it would be troubling with Hundley.

I think we have already seen it against the Vikings and the Lions and maybe/hopefully it will change but I am not holding out hope. I keep falling back to how dismal our offense was when #12 wasn't playing at the top of his game, which was probably still at a higher level than what Hundley is currently at.

Yup, we beat the Bears, but this team without Rodgers just isn't all that good. Only way I see that changing before #12 is back, is if Hundley can really elevate his game and both the defense and the special teams do the same.

I just hope when #12 is back, the Packers organization doesn't just say "OK....all is right in GB again, no changes needed."

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I just hope when #12 is back, the Packers organization doesn't just say "OK....all is right in GB again, no changes needed."
Exactly. The fan in me says okay Packers. Just find a way to win 2 or 3 more games, then Superman will come back and get us to the playoffs and give us at least a snow ball's chance at a SB.

The chess player in me says missing the playoffs could be the only way to spark a change to the status quo, as awful as it sounds.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Exactly. The fan in me says okay Packers. Just find a way to win 2 or 3 more games, then Superman will come back and get us to the playoffs and give us at least a snow ball's chance at a SB.

The chess player in me says missing the playoffs could be the only way to spark a change to the status quo, as awful as it sounds.

I feel the same, but this Chess player is also a fan that is trying to look at the long range plans of the Packers, which ultimately would serve us better than a few wins, squeaking into the playoffs and expecting Superman to be at 100%. Meanwhile the organization says "soo close.....had AR not gotten hurt, we would have won it all....carry on troops!"

I love seeing the Packers win, but if it takes some humbling of the team/organization during the rest of the season to open their eyes and get the ball rolling on changes that appear should have been made a long time ago, I will survive those loses with an eye to greener pastures when #12 is back in 2018.

I wouldn't put this fully on Capers either. TT, and both MM's have played a part in watching the Packer organization build a team that is overly dependent on one player. If I had a crystal ball and could go back and see what the Packers would look like had TT not drafted AR, I'm almost afraid of what I might see.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel the same, but this Chess player is also a fan that is trying to look at the long range plans of the Packers, which ultimately would serve us better than a few wins, squeaking into the playoffs and expecting Superman to be at 100%. Meanwhile the organization says "soo close.....had AR not gotten hurt, we would have won it all....carry on troops!"

I love seeing the Packers win, but if it takes some humbling of the team/organization during the rest of the season to open their eyes and get the ball rolling on changes that appear should have been made a long time ago, I will survive those loses with an eye to greener pastures when #12 is back in 2018.

I wouldn't put this fully on Capers either. TT, and both MM's have played a part in watching the Packer organization build a team that is overly dependent on one player. If I had a crystal ball and could go back and see what the Packers would look like had TT not drafted AR, I'm almost afraid of what I might see.

Green Bay is not overly dependent on Aaron Rodgers. In 2015, we had Rodgers all year, but the absence of #87 completely screwed up our passing game. It was crystal clear we need Jordy Nelson no matter who the QB is. I have seen everything - can't run, can't pass, can't catch, you name it. If you only watch Packers games, you are just learning what I have known for a long time and struggling to deal with what I am used to seeing.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Green Bay is not overly dependent on Aaron Rodgers. In 2015, we had Rodgers all year, but the absence of #87 completely screwed up our passing game. It was crystal clear we need Jordy Nelson no matter who the QB is. I have seen everything - can't run, can't pass, can't catch, you name it. If you only watch Packers games, you are just learning what I have known for a long time and struggling to deal with what I am used to seeing.
There were a million different issues with the Packers in 2015 besides Jordy being on the shelf.

Lets not forget that the Packers caught fire in the 2nd half against the Giants in last years playoffs after Jordy took the ribs shot and Aaron Rodgers played great in Dallas without Jordy. Two playoff games that the offense performed on a high level.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a million different issues with the Packers in 2015 besides Jordy being on the shelf.

Lets not forget that the Packers caught fire in the 2nd half against the Giants in last years playoffs after Jordy took the ribs shot and Aaron Rodgers played great in Dallas without Jordy. Two playoff games that the offense performed on a high level.

I remember that. Just saying it is not all about Rodgers because we had more problems in 2015 than we do now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts