Ravens' Thomas will become unrestricted free agent

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Ravens decided against designating Pro Bowl linebacker Adalius Thomas their franchise player, a move that will enable the seven-year veteran to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Ravens haven't given up on the possibility of retaining Thomas, who ranked third on the team with 106 tackles. But they were unwilling to pay him $7.2 million -- the average salary of the top five linebackers in the league.

"Our hope is that we can re-sign him," general manager Ozzie Newsome said Thursday. "Our plan is to compete at a championship level in 2007 and beyond."

Signing Thomas would have sent the Ravens near the ceiling of their salary cap, and Newsome was unwilling to restrict his spending -- and his ability to improve other positions -- to retain the 29-year-old linebacker.

The Ravens should receive plenty of competition in their bid to secure Thomas, who had a career-high 11 sacks in 2006.

"I would think A.D. would be at the top of most teams lists," said Thomas' agent, Bus Cook. "A.D. would like to stay in Baltimore, but ... it's a business. That's the way it goes."

The 6-foot-2, 270-pound Thomas was drafted in the sixth round out of Southern Mississippi. He starred as a special teams player early in his career, making the Pro Bowl in 2003, before becoming a regular on defense in 2004.

Thomas is one of 10 Ravens who can become unrestricted free agents March 2. The others: DT Aubrayo Franklin; DE Jarret Johnson; LB Tim Johnson; RBs Ovie Mughelli, Musa Smith and Nick Luchey; OT Tony Pashos; DB Gerome Sapp; and WR Alex Bannister.

In other news, the Ravens disclosed that the contract extension signed by head coach Brian Billick last month was for four years (through the 2010 season).

The team originally refused to reveal the duration of the contract, but decided to announce the length of the extension after published reports indicated the coach received one additional season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can someone tell me why this is in the packer forum?

are there rumors of GB getting him or something(even though that makes no sense) ?

OP
OP
J

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
new thread, same topic? ok. let's sign him.
'

Has someone already posted something exactly like this? This was just posted on ESPN about an hour ago that the Ravens won't franchise him. If this has been posted, please lock/delete.

OP
OP
J

Jakest3r

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they would move him to full time DE and get KGB out. Possibly put him in the moss+draft pick trade? I don't know. I hope that's sarcasm!! :rotflmao: I mean.. unless a 270 pounder would work great at TE. :jumpsmile:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bubba Franks
Height: 6-6 Weight: 265
Born: Jan 6, 1978 - Riverside, CA
College: Miami (FL)
Draft: 2000 - 1st round (14th pick) by the Green Bay Packers

nope, 270 pounders are NO GOOD!

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there have been plenty of RUMORS re: the Packers interest in Thomas. Even PFT states that the Packers are at or near the top of teams considering him. Of course, the team just MIGHT be fueling the rumors(by not denying them) in order to squeeze Cullen Jenkins a bit. RUMOR has it that Jenkins will demand big bucks to stay on. A little potential competition for the DE spot opposite Kampmann wouldn't hurt a bit. It may even nudge KGB into accepting a contract re-do since he is no longer a 3 down DE. This is just one of my conspiracy theories but hardly a novel one.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
if it's true that Jenkins is holding out for a big pay-day he's a *******. he started like 4 games.

and was more effective than KGB the entire year.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but you know what i'm talking about. everybody was pissed at javon walker, and he eventually got traded because he wanted the payday after one productive year, and jenkins only had 1/4 of a productive year. and i know this is different because his contract is actually up, but you get my point.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
can someone tell me why this is in the packer forum?

are there rumors of GB getting him or something(even though that makes no sense) ?

Trom,

This has nothing to do with you.... I am a Trom fan, I am just using the above quote as an example for what I see so often here on this forum. it is what I call the "Horrible First Impression Syndrome."

There are a great deal more people who read this forum than those who actually post something. Most of those people I am sure have no idea that there are other "Specific" forums here for NFL News, college, the draft and such.

If the purpose and goal of any forum is to build contributors I might suggest we all be a little less **** about where new contributors post their contributions. The bottom line is this.... Jakest3r is bringing up a damn good topic that has a great deal to do with Packer Free Agent Pick Ups. I am sure that is what Jakest3r was meaning to do Give the guy a fricking break. He has a little over 200 posts, and why do we need to run people off by *****ing about a new guys post placement.

It is the FREAKING OFF SEASON. We all should be thankful there are actually people here WHO post in the off season so it gives us food for thought. Lighten up on the forum post placement people.

A Post about a NEW free agent is an interesting topic that may bring on more content. Was Jakester3r's crime that he did not enter the sentence "Should we pick him up?" because he did not type that in, should the thought be banished to the NFL thread? Give the guy a frickin break. Give the new people a frickin break It is the OFF SEASON.

I have seen it so many times on a forum. There are people who may have been readers for so long finally make a contribution to a forum and some one rips that person a new one for posting it in a the wrong forum or for some other silly reason. Those people disappear for ever, never post again and I do not blame them.

Great Post Jakester3r. It is food for thought.

Raider Pride.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that post made me laugh. when im anti-moderation(moderators) i get torn a new one from the 'higher ups', and when im pro-moderation(moderators), I get an essay from RP.

whatever.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If and when defensive end Cullen Jenkins signs a multiyear contract with the Green Bay Packers, it appears likely it will be a three- or four-year deal as opposed to the longer six-year deals that other defensive ends have signed this offseason. Brian Levy, one of Jenkins' agents, met Thursday at the NFL scouting combine with Andrew Brandt, the Packers' vice president of player finance. Levy said the talks were fruitful, and the sides would meet again today.

Members online

Latest posts