Rating this season a success..at what point?

Djepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wondered how other fans would rate a season like this. We've been here before and been close but I've noticed how we tend to forget how lucky we really are. I rarely hear about the 97 season or the 15-1 season...even if we came up short. We had the Seahawks beat in the championship game a few years ago and would have beat the Patriots..I still consider that Packer team a champion if not for one boneheaded play....what makes it a success to all of you???

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's remarkable where we're at after starting 4-6, sort of playing with house money at this point, but at the end of the day, when Aaron Rodgers is your quarterback, you're trying to win Super Bowls.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with what Randall Cobb said after winning the NFC North:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...03/cobb-we-want-world-championships/96096928/
Yet so many people on this board think making the playoffs is awesome. Sorry but at this point making the playoffs is expected not a crowning achievement.

But to answer the op, anything short of a NFL championship is a failure. Now before the crowd jumps all over me, I am not saying that makes it a bad team or that coaches and gm's need to be fired. I am simply saying that as a professional football team your job is to win the Super Bowl if you do not win the Super Bowl you have failed and the season is a failure. 31 football teams fail at doing their job every single year, some worse than others, and there is nothing wrong at all with failure. Failure is what makes you stronger, failure is how you learn. What you do after you fail is how you measure success and the Packers, Patriots and Steelers do that better than anyone over the last 10 years and the Seahawks are in honorable mention territory.

So again, anything short of a NFL Championship is a failure of a SEASON.

By the way is it any wonder that the 4 teams I mentioned all have top tier to arguably the best of all time quarterbacks, head coaches and gm's?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always wondered how other fans would rate a season like this. We've been here before and been close but I've noticed how we tend to forget how lucky we really are. I rarely hear about the 97 season or the 15-1 season...even if we came up short. We had the Seahawks beat in the championship game a few years ago and would have beat the Patriots..I still consider that Packer team a champion if not for one boneheaded play....what makes it a success to all of you???

I think a deep playoff run in addition to the young guys finishing strong would signal a successful season. To me success means a team on the rise and a team that's getting better with years and experience. If when this season is over I can look back and say man guys like Kenny Clark, Lowry, Jake & Blake, Davante Adams, Damarious Randall and the other young guys look good and play well down the stretch I think you mark this year as a success.

Looking back to our last Super Bowl win there were about three drafts and some good FA acquisitions that powered us to that SB win. After that from 2010-2013 we really didn't add too much in terms of long term franchise pieces beyond Bakh Bull and Daniels. But from 2014 the present we're starting to see the kinds of acquisitions that could yield another Lombardi... or two.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though I was going to have to post my head horse again, but, so far, others have done an excellent job - winning is the only thing. Oops, easy83 beat me to the punch with his post, so there is another side. :)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I need Rodgers to have another ring. I'll be good for years after that.
Winning one this year could open the flood gates.

I've never seen him more focused and driven. He knows the clock is ticking.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not winning the SB is a failure for most teams... Cleveland not so much.

But at 4 and 6, some posters were looking to fire everyone and trade Rodgers. I think those posters would consider this a successful season..

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would now rate this season as a success, which is still a work in progress that could become even more successful. Prior to this 7 game winning streak, the Packers had a stretch of some pretty poor play and loses which spanned over 2 seasons and 20+ games. 2 months ago people were all but ready to concede that it was time to make wholesale changes in Green Bay and the Packer dynasty was only hanging on by thread....Aaron Rodgers.

2 months later, we sit two games away from another trip to a Super Bowl. The offenses is playing great, the defense is slowly getting healthy and figuring things out, the team has a positive and confident swagger, without coming across as being too over confident and cocky.

Considering where this team was and could have easily headed, I rate this season a success marked by players who did not give up on the organization, the fans, themselves or their teammates. The Packers might not be THE most talented group of individual players in the NFL, but I think right now, they are one of the best TEAMS collectively taking the field together each game.

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet so many people on this board think making the playoffs is awesome. Sorry but at this point making the playoffs is expected not a crowning achievement.

But to answer the op, anything short of a NFL championship is a failure. Now before the crowd jumps all over me, I am not saying that makes it a bad team or that coaches and gm's need to be fired. I am simply saying that as a professional football team your job is to win the Super Bowl if you do not win the Super Bowl you have failed and the season is a failure. 31 football teams fail at doing their job every single year, some worse than others, and there is nothing wrong at all with failure. Failure is what makes you stronger, failure is how you learn. What you do after you fail is how you measure success and the Packers, Patriots and Steelers do that better than anyone over the last 10 years and the Seahawks are in honorable mention territory.

So again, anything short of a NFL Championship is a failure of a SEASON.

By the way is it any wonder that the 4 teams I mentioned all have top tier to arguably the best of all time quarterbacks, head coaches and gm's?

Considering how hard it is to make the jump from a bad team to a Super Bowl winner, I wouldn't call the season a failure for all 31 teams who don't win it.

The Giants, for example, haven't made the playoffs for years and were a good playoff team this season. I'd call that successfull.

If the Browns could even win 6 games to show some improvement, I'd call it successfull for them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just being in the playoff year after year and the suspense of the unknown is what I call a successful year.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we're spoiled getting to the playoffs all the time, but having a top 10 (5?) qb of all time I think you have to have a higher standard of "success".

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering how hard it is to make the jump from a bad team to a Super Bowl winner, I wouldn't call the season a failure for all 31 teams who don't win it.

The Giants, for example, haven't made the playoffs for years and were a good playoff team this season. I'd call that successfull.

If the Browns could even win 6 games to show some improvement, I'd call it successfull for them.

Another dead horse, but this is exactly what some of us use as the baseline - expectation. During the Packers' Gory Years, I knew, going in, that there wasn't going to be a playoff game, so every regular season contest was meaningful - could we win one being big underdogs, could knock a rival out of contention, stuff like that. Recently, when starting the season as a SB favorite, at least a division favorite, and a reasonable lock for the postseason, while having Rodgers at the helm, I don't see how one can't be less and less satisfied with just being there.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we win the Super Bowl, then it will be a successful season. 50 seasons and 50 Super Bowls played. 46 of those seasons were failures.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

can't get any worse than the browns' fans if they have to rely on a totally different sport to be happy about football. LOL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has different definitions of success. The team's definition, or mindset, is obviously to win the Super Bowl every season. After the season, I'm sure that they view things differently.

For me it's just about seeing my team win. If they win more than they lose, I am happy. So that's probably my definition of success. Of course, it can always be more successful with each playoff win.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I think Osponge pretty much said what I and I believe many others would say about this season. I think we probably wouldn't quite feel it being a success if #RunTheTable didn't end up on the Lombardi this season (figuratively speaking).

The general feeling around here is that Rodgers's career is heading into the downside and that each year going by not having another SB win is a waste of his career. In some respects, ok I'll say that's true. But not every great QB gets to see the fruits of their labor end in a ton of SB victories. Can't imagine what it must've been like for Bills fans never getting the privilege of seeing Jim Kelly get a ring, or the Dolphins fans never see Marino bring home the bacon. Hell even Steve Young only got 1 ring and it took Elway to pretty much the last 2 years of his career to get his plus 4 SB losses, and then of course Peyton Manning who only got his 2nd ring after that defense carried him across the finish line.

Now, I can see why people are upset at TT and Capers because yeah I get it that unlike Favre, there are some instances when you can actually point to the defense and STs as having hindered Rodgers from having more rings by now. But what does seem to happen is that some people seem to advocate that simply going out and grabbing X or X coach means that all the sudden Rodgers and co are going to just tear their way through to the Superbowl. I don't find that to be true either.

I'd say this, I don't think MM or anyone else should be immune to being fired if the team all the sudden started tanking and he was losing them. Coughlin won 2 SBs and Tom Landry won some of his own and neither of those 2 were immune to getting canned when their success stopped. BUT ... I believe the best policy to staying on track for getting to that SB is to stay the course when you got a head coach that's proven he can get there before and makes the playoffs 8 years and counting.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now, I can see why people are upset at TT and Capers because yeah I get it that unlike Favre, there are some instances when you can actually point to the defense and STs as having hindered Rodgers from having more rings by now. But what does seem to happen is that some people seem to advocate that simply going out and grabbing X or X coach means that all the sudden Rodgers and co are going to just tear their way through to the Superbowl. I don't find that to be true either.

There aren't any guarantees but there's no doubt that a general manager using all methods to improve the team increases the chances of winning a Super Bowl.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we win the Super Bowl, then it will be a successful season. 50 seasons and 50 Super Bowls played. 46 of those seasons were failures.

Nope, as we explained, just those that started out with a really legitimate shot at the Lombardi.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has different definitions of success. The team's definition, or mindset, is obviously to win the Super Bowl every season. After the season, I'm sure that they view things differently.

For me it's just about seeing my team win. If they win more than they lose, I am happy. So that's probably my definition of success. Of course, it can always be more successful with each playoff win.

Nobody can question or argue that point. You've been a lot happier than me over the last decade or so. :)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are already in the top 1/4 of the league with 8 teams left of the 32. That's in the history books as well with the division championship... That's all good to me.

But this team has a lot more potential. Despite the bumpy 10-6 season, this team is built to win now. The young guys are playing good. Plenty of veteran leadership. We still have the #1 and then most likely #2 seeds left to make it to the big show where we will most likely play steelers and big bens 2 superbowls, or Brady and his 4 superbowls..... Long road ahead.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team was predicted to make it to the super bowl at the beginning of the year. I feel if this team falls short of that its back to the same thing we been dealing with for the past couple of years. Drafting, injuries and bad Defense.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This season is a success NOW in my opinion. There are fans of 24 teams who would give their eye-teeth for where we're at. I'm along for the ride as long as it lasts ... and guys, not for one minute did I think the 2010 team was a Super Bowl roster. Enjoy the ride. :D:cool: It's all good.

Members online

Latest posts