Rants and Raves of mini-camp thus far (by Havel)

Reaction score
RANT: I thought the Green Bay Packers were steeped in tradition, especially when jersey numbers were concerned. Not so. Javon Walker’s No. 84 isn’t even cold and Tory Humphrey, a tight end from Central Michigan, will wear it when he’s back from NFL Europe. It’s a duplicate number, no less. And what about No. 97? It is going to take some time getting used to Kenderick Allen not loafing in Cletidus Hunt’s old jersey. Finally, Patrick Dendy is a good-looking athlete, but there’s only room in my heart for one No. 34.

• • •

RAVE: Underachieving defensive tackle Donnell Washington didn’t participate in Saturday’s practices. The reason is that coach Mike McCarthy, along with GM Ted Thompson and the medical staff, didn’t feel Washington, 25, was in decent enough shape to participate. It’s time the organization took a proactive stand with players who can’t, or won’t, take care of their business.

• • •

RANT: Oft-injured tight end David Martin once again showed the promise that keeps him in the NFL. He is big and fast, but his hands aren’t all that is soft. I applaud McCarthy’s “clean slateâ€

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This 'rant' ticked me off.

Chris Havel said:
RANT: I thought the Green Bay Packers were steeped in tradition, especially when jersey numbers were concerned. Not so. Javon Walker’s No. 84 isn’t even cold and Tory Humphrey, a tight end from Central Michigan, will wear it when he’s back from NFL Europe. It’s a duplicate number, no less. And what about No. 97? It is going to take some time getting used to Kenderick Allen not loafing in Cletidus Hunt’s old jersey. Finally, Patrick Dendy is a good-looking athlete, but there’s only room in my heart for one No. 34.

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
This 'rant' ticked me off.

Chris Havel said:

I agree. It's kinda splittin' hairs when you're "ranting" about jersey numbers. Unless it's 4, 5, 14, 15, 65 (Tausch is the man, and was robbed of a TD...but I digress :D ), 66 or 92...they can have whatever number they want. Especially a number worn by a man who didn't even want to put on the uniform again in the first place.

ticky-tacky I tell ya...ticky-tacky!

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All non retired numbers are in use except "1", "5", "0", and "00".
4 NFL-E guys are going to come back to duplicate numbers.
It just happens that way in the NFL this time of year when the roster limit is so high. Even 93 is in use by Jolly.

Whitticker "gave" his 79 to Pickett and will wear 78.

Yes, it will take some time to learn the numbers.

The roster list shows 5 players age 30 and above:
Rob Davis
Brett Favre
William Henderson
Al Harris
Donald Driver

#6 Calvin Russell
#53 Byron Santiago
#57 Jason Hunter
#64 Montez Murphy
#67 Josh Burke
Are listed at 20 years of age.

The Packers are a young team.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Concerning player numbers discussion on this topic--The NFL has tried to discourage its franchises from retiring numbers. Some Franchises like Bears have many numbers retired. NFL feels there will be a shortage of numbers in the future years, if teams keep retiring numbers. But Packer have not done a lot of it and have done it for the very best player in their history Like :

#14---The Great Don Hutson, End( now called WR)also Defensive back (he played both O & D, in NFL in those day they played both ways. Hutson was proto type of today's wide receiver and he held just about all NFL pass receiving records for many years . Don Hutson played from 1935-45----

# 15- Bart Starr, Great QB of "Glory years Packers ", Quarterback. Starr played from 1956-71. Starr was the quarterback of the Packer teams which had five NFL Championships,( two of which were called Super Bowls 1 & 2 )in Lombardi coaching era from 1959 to 1967.

#66-Ray Nitschke- very great middle Linebacker of "Glory years Packers" from 1958-72 --- The very best MLB in Packer history and right up there with best in NFL history. Ray struck fear into RBs and QBs of his era when he came after them.

#92 -Reggie White (If not greatest defensive players in NFL history, Reggie is very close to the top of the list) Defensive End . Reggie played for the Packers from 1993-98. Reggie could single handly disrupt an opposing team offense, he always had to be accounted for by the opposing team on every play.

#3-- Tony Canadeo Halfback (First Packer RB to gain 1,000, and averaged 5.1 yards per carry. Canadeo did it in a 12 game schedule & did it on last place 1949 Packer team. 1,000 yards gained by RB in the 1949 was a very big accomplishment in the NFL. Tony Canadeo played from 1941-44, 1946-52. (Tony had to go into military service during WW2 in '45 & 46)

And when Brett Favre retires, his number
#4 will be retired-- The Brett Favre , The Great Quarter back played from 1992-??-- Brett's great Packer career statistics tell the story of his career here in Green Bay!!! Brett made unbelievable plays, believable!! and never missed a starting a Packer games at QB since 1992.

I had the great pleasure of seeing at Lambeau Field or viewing on TV just about every game that Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke , Reggie White, & Brett Favre played during their very long careers with the Green Bay Packers.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading about Aaron Rogers. I liked this kid a lot coming out of college and was shocked that he wasn't the number 1 pick. I think with time he's going to be a great NFL QB.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Is this thread a little weird?

The tables seem to be way off.

edit, nevermind, i figured out who's post was messing with the tables... fixed now :)

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The WR is such a hard position to learn in the WCO and to hear Jennings do so well is first day is really a good sign. If this guy can start it's going to be a very good draft for TT.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nice..Zero..

Calling someone a "*******"...

What's a "*******" anyway...???

Latest posts