Ranking Thompson's Drafts

D

Deleted member 6794

No, UDFA snap counts aren't anything to be satsfied with. Having one of the most talented NFL teams, the most successful, and that has won a SB and contends every season is a source of satisfaction. And the reason for that success is the TT method of team building. Whether you agree or disagree with it.

As I've said repeatedly and you keep ignoring, overall Thompson has done a pretty good job during his tenure as the Packers GM. But don't fool yourself, Aaron Rodgers (for whosw selection TT deserves a ton of credit) is the main reason for the Packers being a perennial Super Bowl contender.

The fact that you are so certain you know how TT could improve at his profession is a bit out there. As Poppa points out, you have lots of stats, but there is a disconnect when it comes to really understanding or appreciating the job of an NFL GM. No perspective with reality.

I'm not claiming that I would be able to do a better job than Thompson. But I would have at least tried to address obvious positions of need over the last few years (ILB, TE, FS) with more than some late round picks or undrafted free agents.

And your continual assertion that there is a "TT can do no wrong crowd" is old and condescending. I see packer fans who appreciate his work. It would be like someone complaining about ARs faults an demand he be upgraded after any offensive play that doesnt result in a TD. Any contradiction would be from people who must think AR can do no wrong. Followed by, well i'm more objective than you.

If you would be able to accept that Thompson isn't perfect you would have taken an objective look at the list of multi season starters the Packers got out of UDFA and agreed that the perception that he's one of the best in finding those guys is simply not true. But you can't.

And of course once again you're putting words in my mouth. I'm not advocating for Thompson to be replaced. I want him to selectively use all methods available to improve the team.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Guessing what other teams are going to do"

My gut feeling is that Thompson misreads this generally. I don't think others assess and rank players very similar to him. I would think the Packers draft board is out on the far edge compared to other teams. It is why I wish he would trade back far more often than he does and accumulate "legacy" picks in future years in order to one day get a few shots at those top 5 picks. I think he could trade back and still get his target in most cases.
There were a few high picks considered reaches by popular public draft boards, but it seems most high picks are value picks and wont be around much longer. Exceptions are Jordy, Harrell, and Thornton off the top of my head.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There were a few high picks considered reaches by popular public draft boards, but it seems most high picks are value picks and wont be around much longer. Exceptions are Jordy, Harrell, and Thornton off the top of my head.
Perhaps you're right. I don't think Randall would have been picked in the first round last year. I feel a player of equal skills and ability could have been picked 8 picks later in the case of Perry, Sherrod, & Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here's a ranking of Thompson's draft based on nine key data criteria from Thompson’s first draft to present: rookie games started, rookie games played, total games started, total games played, fourth-season snaps, number of two-year starters, number of four-year players, Pro Bowl selections and All-Pro selections.

Nice piece. I read that last night and liked what he said about Hawk. A lot of people will unfortunately remember AJ for being less then they had hoped for from a #5 pick and forget the value he brought in his consistency, durability and giving his all in every game for 9 years. I also liked the optimism over the last 3 draft classes, which I share as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even I can't deny that Hawk's draft position hung over him during his GB tenure. However, I'm in the camp that (almost) equates the reliability factor as a participation trophy and something that diminishes TT's drafts; particularly when Jones is also used as an example at LB. My biggest single 'ya, but' for Hawk is the old 'assignment-sure' label, to which my knee-jerk reaction is 'knowing where to be/go is great, but if you can't get there, it doesn't count'.

Just another example, like PFF, of rarely being able to quantify the performance of a team athlete (and, by extension, the topic of the article, TT's drafts).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even I can't deny that Hawk's draft position hung over him during his GB tenure. However, I'm in the camp that (almost) equates the reliability factor as a participation trophy and something that diminishes TT's drafts; particularly when Jones is also used as an example at LB. My biggest single 'ya, but' for Hawk is the old 'assignment-sure' label, to which my knee-jerk reaction is 'knowing where to be/go is great, but if you can't get there, it doesn't count'.

Just another example, like PFF, of rarely being able to quantify the performance of a team athlete (and, by extension, the topic of the article, TT's drafts).

The use of Jones is definitely suspect. But in regards to Hawk, he won't be a HOF candidate, but my guess is he will be in the Packers HOF. Not for being a Grand Slam pick at #5, but for what he gave the Packers over his 9 year career. Using hind sight and looking back at the 2006 draft, we could have done a lot worse then AJ.

http://www.mynfldraft.com/2006

D

Deleted member 6794

He's not very good at drafting at the linebacker or tackle spot that's for sure.

While I agree about the linebacker position Thompson has only spent two early round picks on tackles with Bulaga being a decent starter and Sherrod lost to a devastating injury. On the other hand he has found a starting left tackle in the fourth round as well as an elite interior on the offensive line late in the draft. Overall he has done a good job drafting offensive linemen.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree about the linebacker position Thompson has only spent two early round picks on tackles with Bulaga being a decent starter and Sherrod lost to a devastating injury. On the other hand he has found a starting left tackle in the fourth round as well as an elite interior on the offensive line late in the draft. Overall he has done a good job drafting offensive linemen.

I want to agree with you on this one..I really do....but, Bahk imo isn't that good and looks and plays just like a 4th rounder. Maybe if he was a lot better? i wouldn't feel this way...but with him being one of the worse starting left tackles in the NFL last season it's hard to agree. As far as Bulaga goes? Hes played well below his first round tag even when heathy. Or maybe that's just me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is he built the line and stopped. I think when he found the recipe, he should have kept spending at least a 4th every year on a ot. He has done that for the most part, but he started drafting runts looking for a ot. And the bruisers were all undrafted slugs... He did well after thegiants embarassed us and we started drafting 315 plus pounders who played lt and had quick feet. The whole line filled out, and like i said. Merriteth on were crap. Imo. Barclay before the knee was decent...

D

Deleted member 6794

I want to agree with you on this one..I really do....but, Bahk imo isn't that good and looks and plays just like a 4th rounder. Maybe if he was a lot better? i wouldn't feel this way...but with him being one of the worse starting left tackles in the NFL last season it's hard to agree. As far as Bulaga goes? Hes played well below his first round tag even when heathy. Or maybe that's just me.

Bakhtiari is absolutely fine in pass protection but has to improve blocking for the run. When Bulaga is healthy he has performed up to his draft position IMO.

He did well after thegiants embarassed us and we started drafting 315 plus pounders who played lt and had quick feet.

Thompson hasn't drafted a single 315+ pounds offensive lineman since the playoff loss to the Giants.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod...... I added Barclay because I think he was better before the knee. But after the starting group come together, he went Merideth and from there on it was smaller OTs and the larger prospects are undrafted and aren't up to par .

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sitton, Lang, Bulaga, Sherrod...... I added Barclay because I think he was better before the knee. But after the starting group come together, he went Merideth and from there on it was smaller OTs and the larger prospects are undrafted and aren't up to par .

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts