Ranking the NFL QBs

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The top 4 is about right but 1 and 2 need to be flipped.
And nobody has had to do more with less than Rodgers unless they are strictly talking about wide receivers.
Take Rodgers out of the equation and the Packers are no better than 8-8 and both McCarthy and Thompson are both gone.
I don't believe taking Brady out of the picture will produce such dire consequences for the Patriots.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The top 4 is about right but 1 and 2 need to be flipped.
And nobody has had to do more with less than Rodgers unless they are strictly talking about wide receivers.
Take Rodgers out of the equation and the Packers are no better than 8-8 and both McCarthy and Thompson are both gone.
I don't believe taking Brady out of the picture will produce such dire consequences for the Patriots.

Doesn't it depend upon who AR's replacement would be?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see their point and agree that Brady has done more with less. Rodgers has had talented receivers from start to finish. I don't really care who is #1 or #2 as it's just for fun. I like Brady's fire and don't take him down a notch because he's associated with Belichik or married to a beautiful model. The guy has been fantastic his entire career and I'm not about to rip him apart just because we have a really good QB as well. Rodgers deserves to be discussed as the #1 as well, no more no less.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't read the article, but Rodgers/Brady are #1 to me. Right now I'd take Rodgers just because He's in the prime of his career, Brady is closer to the end. I think both are the best in the business. I don't buy the argument that Rodgers has had more to work with and Brady has had less, they've just had different pieces. Brady might not have had such good WR's his entire career, but he's had some, and for much of it he's had a better defense, oline and special teams than GB has had. I'm not trying to take anything away because just watching both quarterbacks you can tell they're the best. From reading defenses, making calls, leading the team, and putting the ball where it's supposed to be, I don't think any are better. People can argue Manning, but he's had excellent people around him and all you have to do is hit him a few times and he's done. Very good QB, but I don't put him at Brady/Rodgers level.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'd put Rodgers first right now, if that was the intent of these rankings. This isn't based upon a QBs body of work, rather who would you pick at QB if you could pick anyone, and that's Rodgers.

I question ranking Peyton Manning so high. He's in decline, and has never been a money player in the playoffs. Yes Rodgers needs another SB or two to avoid the same criticism. He has a solid 5 or 6 years left where he'll play at the top of his game. Regardless of surrounding players at crunch time, let's assume they're all good, the QB carries the team when it's money time.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you were convinced defense win championships.
In the Packers' case, and in the rare cases when a superior O defeats a superior D, the QB has to carry a team. I didn't say an elite D was always required to win the SB, just the majority of the time. Thankfully Rodgers is one QB great enough to make this happen. Hopefully the D continues the upward trend from last year and all three units contribute to a win in SB 50. That sounds like something we can all agree would be a great thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

In the Packers' case, and in the rare cases when a superior O defeats a superior D, the QB has to carry a team. I didn't say an elite D was always required to win the SB, just the majority of the time.

Over the last 10 years a team with a superior offense facing a superior defense in the Super Bowl is 4-3. Only four teams winning the Lombardi Trophy had an elite defense since 2005. In case you wonder that's not the majority.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"end of story", "case closed", "game, set, match", et. al. have no place on a discussion site, unless you want to kill it. If there is a counter-argument, it's not the end of the story. "In my opinion", Rodgers is # 1, end of story is a whole different ballgame. That, of course, is my opinion. :)

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with the list completely. Rodgers is 6-5 in the playoffs with 2 NFCCG's and 1 SB appearance and 1 win. Brady is 21-8 in the playoffs with 7 AFCCG appearances and 6 SB appearances and 4 SB wins. It is not even a question to anyone except in the eyes of Packer fans.

As much as I love Aaron, his playoff success is rather pedestrian when compared to the "great" QB's and downright pathetic (2-5) when you take away the one SB win.

Aaron has yet to even beat Favre for playoff success let alone the likes of Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr, Staubach, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Eli Manning....

Rodgers is great but he has miles to go to even remotely be considered as the the best.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Agree with the list completely. Rodgers is 6-5 in the playoffs with 2 NFCCG's and 1 SB appearance and 1 win. Brady is 21-8 in the playoffs with 7 AFCCG appearances and 6 SB appearances and 4 SB wins. It is not even a question to anyone except in the eyes of Packer fans.

As much as I love Aaron, his playoff success is rather pedestrian when compared to the "great" QB's and downright pathetic (2-5) when you take away the one SB win.

Aaron has yet to even beat Favre for playoff success let alone the likes of Brady, Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Starr, Staubach, Roethlisberger, Flacco, Eli Manning....

Rodgers is great but he has miles to go to even remotely be considered as the the best.

Go and stand in the corner ! :mad:

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rodgers' TE/WR since 2008 - Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Greg Jennings, Jermichael Finley, James Jones, Davante Adams, Richard Rodgers, Donald Lee, Jarrett Boykon, Ruvell Martin, Tom Crabtree, Andrew Quarless, Ryan Taylor, D.J. Williams

Brady's TE/WR since 2008 - Randy Moss, Rob Gronkowski, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Julian Edelman, Aaron Hernandez, Deion Branch, Brandon Lafell, Brandon Loyd, Chad Johnson, Alge Crumpler, Ben Watson, Jabar Gaffney, Matt Slater, Brandon Tate

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For us old-timers, this is a little like Bart Starr comparisons - are we talking about comparing passers or quarterbacks? Bart wasn't flashy, but he won a lot of big ones.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I really don’t care much how sportswriters rank QBs but it would be helpful if they state their criteria more clearly than Benoit did: “Here's how the starting quarterbacks for all 32 teams stack up heading into summer training camp” is too vague IMO. How they rank ‘heading into TC’ implies more of a ‘which one would you pick now?’ to me than ‘which one is the best career QB heading into TC?’. IMO its clear Rodgers is the answer to the former question and Brady is the answer to the latter.

And does the point have to be made that while QBs are important in post-season the entire team is needed to win? For example, it’s no coincidence that over the past 10 regular seasons, Bill Belichick’s defenses have finished in the top 10 scoring Ds eight times. They finished 15th in 2011 and 17th in 2005. (According to nfl.com)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the best QB in the league right now. Brady is arguably the best all time or at least in the discussion.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is the best QB in the league right now. Brady is arguably the best all time or at least in the discussion.
Yep. Rodgers 2x NFL MVP, 1x Super Bowl MVP
Brady 2x NFL MVP, 3x Super Bowl MVP

Rodgers is at least one more Super Bowl MVP and five more years of production away from the discussion.

Brady has logged 13 years of a lot of wins, yards and touchdowns. Rodgers has 7. 6.5 actually with 9 good games in 2013.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Rodgers 2x NFL MVP, 1x Super Bowl MVP
Brady 2x NFL MVP, 3x Super Bowl MVP
Rodgers is at least one more Super Bowl MVP and five more years of production away from the discussion.

Brady has logged 13 years of a lot of wins, yards and touchdowns. Rodgers has 7. 6.5 actually with 9 impressive games in 2013.

I'd say hes 3 rings away from best all time discussion.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a high bar ivo. Who's in that discussion now? Just the guys with 4+ rings?

Rodgers needs more championships for sure - and MVP awards - but there isn't anyone who's tracking with Rodgers' production at this point in his career. He'd be in my discussion with 3 rings and 6 more years of continued performance like he's had for sure.

I think football is too much of a team sport to base an analysis of the best ever at any position first and foremost on rings - even QB. I'm not saying they're worthless by any stretch (Manning) but I'm looking at all of what they individually do on the field, including their intangible contribution to winning games (Starr/Montana) first.

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Eli at 11, what has he been injecting???

ACR is the best quarterback in the league at present. Putting Brady there isn't an awful shout though.

As posted elsewhere, smacks more if attention grabbing then anything else though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts