Ranking the NFL QBs

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyway, I am done, as usual, this board believes you are not allowed to criticize TT, MM or A-Rod for anything.

A lot of members on this forum value constructive criticism of Thompson, McCarthy and Rodgers. I don't consider blaming Rodgers to not take enough chances or the fourth quarter comeback nonsense as such though.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another ridiculous statement.

lol, for a guy with as many ratings as you have, you really have some rose colored glasses as to what happens when someone criticizes the holy trinity on this forum board.

So lets try this, please give me some criticism of Aaron Rodgers. If you can't then you are proving my entire point. He is not perfect. So let's hear it, name something that he can do better.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
lol, for a guy with as many ratings as you have, you really have some rose colored glasses as to what happens when someone criticizes the holy trinity on this forum board.
You haven't read many of my posts (not that there's anything wrong with that). But if you think Thompson, McCarthy, and Rodgers aren't allowed to be criticized on this board you haven't read many of anyone's posts.
So lets try this...
First, what happened to
Anyway, I am done
? You’re apparently having trouble following along with your own posting. Second, you posted all three aren’t allowed to be criticized, why focus on Rodgers? (BTW, do a search or actually read the board and you’ll see plenty of criticism.)

But I’ll play. How Rodgers can improve is in green:
■ Rodgers' career passer rating of 106.0 is No. 1 in NFL history for players with at least 1,500 passing attempts. Rodgers' rating is more than eight points ahead of second-place Tony Romo of Dallas (97.6). He should be at least 10 points ahead of Romo.
■ Rodgers is the only quarterback in NFL history to record a 100-plus passer rating in six consecutive seasons (2009-'14). In fact, no other quarterback has accomplished that in more than four straight seasons. He’s played regular season games in 10 seasons, it’s disgraceful he’s only had 100-plus passer ratings in six. 2008 was particularly bad – played in all 16 games with a passer rating under 94!
■ Rodgers ranks No. 1 in NFL history in career interception percentage (1.64). He's also first in touchdown-to-interception ratio (226-to-57, 3.96%). These are fantastic stats and most fans understand their significance and how impressive they are. Not you, of course. According to you, he should throw more INTs.
■ Rodgers ranks No. 3 all-time in completion percentage (65.8) and yards per attempt (8.22). This one’s easy, he has to improve to No. 1 all-time in both of these categories.
■ Rodgers is one of only three quarterbacks in NFL history to register two seasons with a 110-plus passer rating (2011, 2014). The other two are Peyton Manning (2007, 2013) and Tom Brady (2007, 2010). It’s critical he passes Manning and Brady – it’s disgraceful he’s tied with them.
■ In the Packers record books, Rodgers holds six of the top seven single-season marks for passer rating (2009-'14). He also holds three of the top five for passing touchdowns (2011-'12, 2014), five of the top six for completion percentage (2010-'14), and three of the top five for passing yards (2009, 2011, 2014). Should be seven of the top seven, five of the top five, six of the top six and five of the top five, respectively.
■ Rodgers holds five of the top seven streaks in Packers history for most consecutive passing attempts without an interception. He really should hold ten of the top ten. But I’d probably forgive him if he put together another extremely long streak.
■ Rodgers has posted five 4,000-yard passing seasons (2008-'09, 2011-'12, 2014), which is tied with Brett Favre for the franchise record. Again, he shouldn’t be tied with anyone for a positive record.
■ Rodgers is the only quarterback in NFL history to register three seasons with 500-plus attempts and seven or fewer interceptions (2009, 2011, 2014). No other quarterback has done it more than once. Rodgers is also the only 4,000-yard passer in league history to throw six or fewer interceptions, having done it twice (2011, 2014). We need more INTs, right?
■ At the end of the 2014 season, Rodgers had streaks of 418 consecutive passing attempts and 36 consecutive touchdown passes at home without an interception. Both are NFL records. Again, from your point of view, more INTs.
■ Rodgers has posted the top three single-season passer-rating marks at home in NFL history (minimum 100 attempts), highlighted by his NFL-record 133.2 rating in 2014. Rodgers also posted a 128.5 rating in 2011 and a 126.4 in 2013. Top three in NFL history? That’s not good enough!
■ Rodgers has helped the Packers average 28.5 points per game in his 103 career regular-season starts. That's No. 1 among quarterbacks since 1950 (minimum 100 starts). What about the QBs before 1950??!!

After going through that list, I understand why you’re so upset Rodgers isn’t the target of more criticism. You're right, the one thing that is preventing the Packers from winning more championships is Rodgers. :rolleyes:

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I just pick Jack out of your username...

Anyway, I am done, as usual, this board believes you are not allowed to criticize TT, MM or A-Rod for anything.

In closing, I think all three of them are awesome, I would not trade them for anything, I just refuse to sit here with rose colored glasses when Rodgers and this team are failing to get back to the Super Bowl. There are obviously reason for it and all 3 of them deserve their fair share of criticism, which I admit is very, very little but there none the less, they have not been perfect.

There is not such thing as good enough in sports, either you win the championship or you were not good enough. Period. And there is nothing wrong with not being good enough every single year, it is not achievable, but you can certainly fine ways to improve.

I stand by the fact that as long as our defense is pathetic, the offense needs to be more aggressive and that includes A-Rod

Not true sorry....this board allows anything within reason. Just a point that needs making Ogs ;). Some PEOPLE may disagree with you, but not the board.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You haven't read many of my posts (not that there's anything wrong with that). But if you think Thompson, McCarthy, and Rodgers aren't allowed to be criticized on this board you haven't read many of anyone's posts. First, what happened to? You’re apparently having trouble following along with your own posting. Second, you posted all three aren’t allowed to be criticized, why focus on Rodgers? (BTW, do a search or actually read the board and you’ll see plenty of criticism.)

But I’ll play. How Rodgers can improve is in green:
■ Rodgers' career passer rating of 106.0 is No. 1 in NFL history for players with at least 1,500 passing attempts. Rodgers' rating is more than eight points ahead of second-place Tony Romo of Dallas (97.6). He should be at least 10 points ahead of Romo.
■ Rodgers is the only quarterback in NFL history to record a 100-plus passer rating in six consecutive seasons (2009-'14). In fact, no other quarterback has accomplished that in more than four straight seasons. He’s played regular season games in 10 seasons, it’s disgraceful he’s only had 100-plus passer ratings in six. 2008 was particularly bad – played in all 16 games with a passer rating under 94!
■ Rodgers ranks No. 1 in NFL history in career interception percentage (1.64). He's also first in touchdown-to-interception ratio (226-to-57, 3.96%). These are fantastic stats and most fans understand their significance and how impressive they are. Not you, of course. According to you, he should throw more INTs.
■ Rodgers ranks No. 3 all-time in completion percentage (65.8) and yards per attempt (8.22). This one’s easy, he has to improve to No. 1 all-time in both of these categories.
■ Rodgers is one of only three quarterbacks in NFL history to register two seasons with a 110-plus passer rating (2011, 2014). The other two are Peyton Manning (2007, 2013) and Tom Brady (2007, 2010). It’s critical he passes Manning and Brady – it’s disgraceful he’s tied with them.
■ In the Packers record books, Rodgers holds six of the top seven single-season marks for passer rating (2009-'14). He also holds three of the top five for passing touchdowns (2011-'12, 2014), five of the top six for completion percentage (2010-'14), and three of the top five for passing yards (2009, 2011, 2014). Should be seven of the top seven, five of the top five, six of the top six and five of the top five, respectively.
■ Rodgers holds five of the top seven streaks in Packers history for most consecutive passing attempts without an interception. He really should hold ten of the top ten. But I’d probably forgive him if he put together another extremely long streak.
■ Rodgers has posted five 4,000-yard passing seasons (2008-'09, 2011-'12, 2014), which is tied with Brett Favre for the franchise record. Again, he shouldn’t be tied with anyone for a positive record.
■ Rodgers is the only quarterback in NFL history to register three seasons with 500-plus attempts and seven or fewer interceptions (2009, 2011, 2014). No other quarterback has done it more than once. Rodgers is also the only 4,000-yard passer in league history to throw six or fewer interceptions, having done it twice (2011, 2014). We need more INTs, right?
■ At the end of the 2014 season, Rodgers had streaks of 418 consecutive passing attempts and 36 consecutive touchdown passes at home without an interception. Both are NFL records. Again, from your point of view, more INTs.
■ Rodgers has posted the top three single-season passer-rating marks at home in NFL history (minimum 100 attempts), highlighted by his NFL-record 133.2 rating in 2014. Rodgers also posted a 128.5 rating in 2011 and a 126.4 in 2013. Top three in NFL history? That’s not good enough!
■ Rodgers has helped the Packers average 28.5 points per game in his 103 career regular-season starts. That's No. 1 among quarterbacks since 1950 (minimum 100 starts). What about the QBs before 1950??!!

After going through that list, I understand why you’re so upset Rodgers isn’t the target of more criticism. You're right, the one thing that is preventing the Packers from winning more championships is Rodgers. :rolleyes:

What a surprise, you are unable to do it except in a sarcastic manner. As I said, I am sorry for having the audacity to believe any of the holy trinity could possibly do better, I completely forgot that the Packers have one every Super Bowl with Rodgers under center and there is no room for improvement.

Thanks for proving what I am saying.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with this statement

And you are the first person to agree. Everyone seems to think I want Rodgers to be Favre, which is not true, but being more aggressive does mean taking more chances something that is not done very often and that is all I am getting at but no one will discuss it logically. People like TJV apparently think he is perfect and has no room for improvement which is obvious by his sarcastic last post.

Anyway, this time I am truly done. ;)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What a surprise, you are unable to do it except in a sarcastic manner. As I said, I am sorry for having the audacity to believe any of the holy trinity could possibly do better, I completely forgot that the Packers have one every Super Bowl with Rodgers under center and there is no room for improvement.
More utter nonsense. Your continuing the "holy trinity" crap just makes you look clueless. No one is saying they couldn't improve. But as any reasonable (and non-deluded) fan recognizes, the last player to worry about on the Packers is Aaron Rodgers (with the exception of his health). That you continue to ignore his numbers shows your clear bias IMO. People like you apparently can't get over the fact your idol was replaced by a better QB.

I

And you are the first person to agree. Everyone seems to think I want Rodgers to be Favre, which is not true, but being more aggressive does mean taking more chances something that is not done very often and that is all I am getting at but no one will discuss it logically. People like TJV apparently think he is perfect and has no room for improvement which is obvious by his sarcastic last post.

Anyway, this time I am truly done. ;)

I think he had a habit of holding the ball a little too long at times early last season which was frustrating at times but if I had to choose somebody to lead us, he would be the only one.
Knowing TJV the way we do around here, he just asks for examples when somebody makes a statement. That is merely the norm around here.

I

Gentlemen, I am sure the ignore button may be useful short-term anyway

D

Deleted member 6794

Everyone seems to think I want Rodgers to be Favre, which is not true, but being more aggressive does mean taking more chances something that is not done very often and that is all I am getting at but no one will discuss it logically.

Unfortunately there's no logical way to discuss that though.

Rodgers will target an open receiver, even if that means throwing into an extremely tiny window (see Jennings catch in Super Bowl, Rodgers TD vs. Cowboys).

I don't know what you actually want him to do by "taking more chances" but if you advocate for him throwing into close or double coverage more often and praying that the receiver miraculously ends up with the ball all the time I really see no reason why that would be a good idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he had a habit of holding the ball a little too long at times early last season which was frustrating at times but if I had to choose somebody to lead us, he would be the only one.

It didn't help that the Packers played two elite defenses early last season. McCarthy completely ignoring one side of the field and Cobb not being back to full strength factored into Rodgers' slow start as well.

I

It didn't help that the Packers played two elite defenses early last season. McCarthy completely ignoring one side of the field and Cobb not being back to full strength factored into Rodgers' slow start as well.

That may be true but I know I spent a while screaming at my computer for him to throw the damn ball, but then again, what do I know.....lol

D

Deleted member 6794

That may be true but I know I spent a while screaming at my computer for him to throw the damn ball, but then again, what do I know.....lol

Well, it took Rodgers an average of 2.57 seconds to throw the ball during the first three weeks of last season. He finished 2014 at 2.66 seconds. Sometimes our personal impressions are deceptive.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers can sometimes hold onto the ball too long.
MM can get conservative with his play calling instead of putting his foot down.
TT can hold onto a player longer than he should sometimes. He also can overpay sometimes.

Happy?

H

HardRightEdge

Rodgers can sometimes hold onto the ball too long.
MM can get conservative with his play calling instead of putting his foot down.
TT can hold onto a player longer than he should sometimes. He also can overpay sometimes.

Happy?
I'll add a few others:

Thompson has had a couple of weak draft classes.

Rodgers touch passing in his check downs and short throws calling for taking something off the ball was pretty poor up until the last 2 years. It's still not great.

McCarthy's play calling and clock management has been at times suspect, though I don't particularly fault his attempts to run down a short clock with a lead against Seattle.

Capers multiple schemes and disguises are ill-suited to a team with a perpetual youth movement. It's a particular problem when having young guys with limited college experience at their projected positions or with guys switching positions in the pros. This issue gets worse by the year as fewer and fewer rookie players have ever defended much pro style offense in their lives, if any at all. For the second year running, we've been told there will be a slimming down of the defensive playbook. Perhaps McCarthy's increased involvement will make it stick this time. I'm not holding my breath.

Is everybody happy now? ;)

I

I'll add a few others:

Thompson has had a couple of weak draft classes.

Rodgers touch passing in his check downs and short throws calling for taking something off the ball was pretty poor up until the last 2 years. It's still not great.

McCarthy's play calling and clock management has been at times suspect, though I don't particularly fault his attempts to run down a short clock with a lead against Seattle.

Capers multiple schemes and disguises are ill-suited to a team with a perpetual youth movement. It's a particular problem when having young guys with limited college experience at their projected positions or with guys switching positions in the pros. This issue gets worse by the year as fewer and fewer rookie players have ever defended much pro style offense in their lives, if any at all. For the second year running, we've been told there will be a slimming down of the defensive playbook. Perhaps McCarthy's increased involvement will make it stick this time. I'm not holding my breath.

Is everybody happy now? ;)

What about the equipment guy ?? He couldn`t get the right size helmet for A.J.

Bobdigital

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pats fan here. I thought I'd give my 2 cents. I think right now today if both are 100% healthy Rodgers is probably just a tad better than Brady in general so should be #1. This of course does not count pass history.

That being said however depending on the match up Brady might be the better player to pick even right now. These are 2 guys that have certain similarities in their game but clearly have very different styles.

For instance I think Brady matches up better against a team like Seattle than Rodgers does. Rodgers a lot of the times will go out there and just be better then everyone else and win. When he can't do that and he needs to pick and choose his spots and try to make long drives to score he is not the same guy. Assuming the pass rush does not get their Brady's style does well pretty much no matter what as he attacks schemes more than anything and doesn't usually try to beat you going 40 yards down the field or breaking contain and making a 20 yard run.

H

HardRightEdge

Pats fan here. I thought I'd give my 2 cents. I think right now today if both are 100% healthy Rodgers is probably just a tad better than Brady in general so should be #1. This of course does not count pass history.

That being said however depending on the match up Brady might be the better player to pick even right now. These are 2 guys that have certain similarities in their game but clearly have very different styles.

For instance I think Brady matches up better against a team like Seattle than Rodgers does. Rodgers a lot of the times will go out there and just be better then everyone else and win. When he can't do that and he needs to pick and choose his spots and try to make long drives to score he is not the same guy. Assuming the pass rush does not get their Brady's style does well pretty much no matter what as he attacks schemes more than anything and doesn't usually try to beat you going 40 yards down the field or breaking contain and making a 20 yard run.
The thing that Brady does not get sufficient credit for is his success in the full gamut of offensive schemes. He's been equally successful in run-first, run-pass balanced, WR-centric and TE/slot ball control passing offenses.

Conversely, he's been supported by better defenses than the Packers have afforded Rodgers. I don't think the Pats having one of the greatest, if not the greatest, clutch field goal kickers of all-time for the first 5 years of Brady's career can be discounted.

Last edited by a moderator:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Conversely, he's been supported by better defenses than the Packers have afforded Rodgers.
In Brady’s 13 seasons of starting (excluding 2008 when he left the first quarter of the first game with a season-ending injury) the Pats have finished in the top 10 scoring Ds 10 times. They also finished 15th once and 17th twice. (BTW, in 2008 they finished 9th.) That’s not an end-all, be-all stat but I think it’s one of the more meaningful ones. They finished the regular season 6th, 1st, 2nd, and 8th in scoring D in years they won titles with Brady at the helm. They finished 4th and 15th in years they lost the Super Bowl. That’s a remarkably consistent run by Belichick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers a lot of the times will go out there and just be better then everyone else and win. When he can't do that and he needs to pick and choose his spots and try to make long drives to score he is not the same guy.

Rodgers is capable of leading long drives as well. Since 2008 the Patriots rank 4th and the Packers 6th in TD drives taking 10 or more plays.

Members online

Latest posts