Ranking 2018 Packer moves

H

HardRightEdge

the quote you attributed to me isn't me/mine. it has my name on it, the shortcut takes you to my post, but those points aren't in my post. weird, i wonder how that happened.
Ghosts in the machine.

Conan Troutman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Burks is a reach but I'll qualify that. First, if you look at the spotlight tape of Burks against Alabama, his run defense was dreadful. His anticipation is slow, angles are poor, he puts himself in position to be easily blocked, he overuns plays. As for the qualification, this was the first year he played ILB which may account for some of the above; before that he was a safety and an edge rusher with a smattering of inside play. Still and all, you'd have to conclude that being a 3-down ILB is a bar likely beyond his reach. He could prove of value as the dime backer or more snaps against teams at the low end of run emphasis; he shows the Combine speed on the field in the few instances where he runs with a receiver. Then there are special teams. That's not a lot for a third rounder. But for a team that has been perenially weak at the coverage backer position, we may end up being happy to have him even if he's expensive as a rotational and special teams player.

As for the pass rush, it would appear Wilkerson and a healthy Biegel are expected to provide some upgrade. I'm skeptical as well. Expecting Wilkerson to regain the dynamic of his youth after years of 80-90% snap counts is wishful thinking. Will he contribute in rotation? One would expect that. A game changer? Uh uh. Biegel, same. He should at least be upgrade over Fackrell as the first OLB/Edge off the bench. Maybe there'll be a Ahmad Brooks-like pickup as teams cut players as we move along, preferably somebody who doesn't have back issues or some other lingering injury.

Maybe Burks would've been still there a dozen spots or so later, maybe not - but it appears that those modern Will cover guys are going on day two more and more, even if they don't offer all that much against the run. He's certainly not a steal like Jackson, but I think he's okay value here and fills a major need.

Re: pass rush: Don't forget Reggie Gilbert. The staff is high on him and from what you read he seems like he's a notch above the other guys before him, Zombo, Walden, Elliott and all. And you just can't beat that name. But I agree OLB doesn't look too pretty, we'll probably get by if Matthews and Perry don't miss a lot of games or at least not the important ones but you don't want to bank on that. Hopefully Biegel and Gilbert will contribute something, but once one of the starters goes down we're in trouble. Another piece with maybe a bit more either upside or polish would've been nice, but that's just about my only complaint about the draft.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasnt really interested enough in the drivel to read and count.... just the dramatic “this is my LAST word” followed by multiple other posts ... caught ny eye

Please.... carry on girls

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Got a link? Posted at the time in another thread perhaps? Out of curiosity I'd like to see what they were including in that number.

EDIT:

I found this right away: immediate prior to the Tramon Williams signing, cap space stood at $20 million: https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay...uch-Cap-Space-for-Green-Bay-Packers-116772100

If you subtract from that the $6.5 mil tied up in the Fuller offer, and Nelson's $10 mil in cap savings, the cap space would be $3.5 mil.

Again, regardless, having cap tied up in Nelson and Fuller for a couple of days would not have put a slow in anybody's roll.

And frankly, if the Packers could have signed a comparable cost and value FA player of their liking instead of playing a crap shoot on Fuller, they would have done it.

Was in the tweet column on sportspyder at the time.

H

HardRightEdge

Wasnt really interested enough in the drivel to read and count.... just the dramatic “this is my LAST word” followed by multiple other posts ... caught ny eye

Please.... carry on girls
Well, if you were not interested enough to read what you were commenting on, then we can only conclude that you don't know what you're talking about. Carry on, Sally. Or don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Biegel, same. He should at least be upgrade over Fackrell as the first OLB/Edge off the bench. Maybe there'll be a Ahmad Brooks-like pickup as teams cut players as we move along, preferably somebody who doesn't have back issues or some other lingering injury.

The Packers might sign a veteran pass rusher closer to the start of the season but as of right now I expect Gilbert to be the primary backup at outside linebacker to Matthews and Perry.

What is strange about the whole thing is the Bears let it out that they were planning on matching any offer. That only encourages any team trying to sign Fuller, to up the price. Maybe they thought other teams wouldn't bother? The thing is, the more the Bears pay, the better for the Packers. It was probably a very interesting discussion when the Packers came up with their dollar amount.

A team isn't allowed to improve their offer sheet once signed by a player. Nor are other clubs permitted to agree with him on a better one.

Bulaga's cap savings if cut at the time would have saved about $11.5 mil over the next two years, a little less now with the roster bonus presumed earned.

The Packers releasing Bulaga would only result in $4.7 million of cap space for this season though.

I'm pretty down on the decision to bring back Philbin. It just seems like damage control to make it appear as if they are doing something about the stale offense, though all they did was bring in one of his students from the same brain trust. People want to reference the outlier, our 2011 season, while ignoring that the offense was more or less the same as it is now during his other years at OC. It's hard to expect much of a change from this.

The Packers offense had a lot of success during Philbin's tenure as offensive coordinator, ranking third in points scored from 2007-11. They even ranked third in total yards over that period :D

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Pettine and Gutekunst were home run hires in my book. 1 and 1A.

Excited about the draft and excited to see how it all comes together.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  1. Pettine: I have long been solidly in the camp that believed that Capers was more (not all-- just more) of the problem than Thompson. Thus, I would obviously view the hiring of Pettine as a really big deal. I believe that a more executable and teachable scheme will pay much bigger dividends than any personnel additions.
  2. Gutekunst: Obviously a new GM is a much bigger deal than a new DC in the long term, but I viewed Thompson as a net positive for the organization rather than the millstone that many pegged him as. Gutekunst has a chance to move the organization forward if he can factor in supplemental FA help.
  3. 1st Round Trades: The Packers moved from #14 to #27 for a 5th and next year's 1st. They then traded a 3rd and a 6th to get back up to #18. So essentially they landed Jaire Alexander and a 5th for a 3rd and 6th. Because the pick spent on him, #18, is replaced by an extra 1st next year. Obviously the extra year wait has to be factored too, but that is a slick move.
  4. Adams: Adams' extension is technically part of this offseason even though it happened ages ago. He got 4/58/30. Despite the fact that he just signed in December, he's 7th in annual average. He will be moved down the list in short order as guys like Beckham, Cooks, Cooper, Thomas, etc. get their next deals. We have him for 1.5M less per season than Sammy Watkins. And before anyone says that Adams is just a product of Rodgers, his 16 game pace from games with Bret Hundley would have come out to 94/1118/9. So you're talking about a top 10 receiver in catches, yards, and TD's with maybe the league's worst QB play.
  5. Wilkerson: The Packers got Wilkerson, 28, on a cheap, one year deal. The risk is minimal. They're fine on the DL even if he busts, and they have no long term investment. However, they gave themselves the chance at a really good contributor for very little money. That's how you give yourself a chance to be a big winner in FA.
  6. Quantity: I like the trend over the past couple of seasons where the Packers give themselves multiple shots at addressing an area of need. Last year, it was the running backs. They took three shots in the draft, and it looks like Aaron Jones will be a gem. This year it was corner (Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Tramon Williams, Davon House) and receiver (J'mon Moore, Marques Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown).
  7. Randall/Kizer Trade: The net effect of losing Randall is hard to gauge. At times he was great and at times he was atrocious. But clearly he was a nuisance and head case, so I'm fine with seeing him gone and I'm glad they got some value out of it.
  8. Jordy: Cutting him hurt, but it was the right move. You can't have three receivers accounting for 20% of your salary cap, and it was clear that Jordy is physically running on empty at this point.
  9. Graham: I like that the Packers were aggressive in addressing the biggest hole on their roster, I like that it was with a veteran as rookies take a long time to develop at TE, and I like the possibilities in the red zone. I don't like the age seasons they're getting Graham for (31, 32, 33) combined with his injury history and the amount of money he's getting (highest paid TE). On the whole, I don't like the move but I do understand it. I would have preferred Trey Burton.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot a biggie.

The no. 2 move:

2 Joe Philbin OC. Thought very highly of by the players. Great teacher, good strategist. Gets everyone on board, focused and understanding the offense. I really liked edgar Bennett, I think he was our best position coach but OC maybe was a bit much. I have no doubt he will develop and become a good OC, it's just we need AR and the offense kicking but now. Our offense has lacked ever since Philbin left. I expect a significant impact on effectiveness of our offense.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Pettine: I have long been solidly in the camp that believed that Capers was more (not all-- just more) of the problem than Thompson. Thus, I would obviously view the hiring of Pettine as a really big deal. I believe that a more executable and teachable scheme will pay much bigger dividends than any personnel additions.
  2. Gutekunst: Obviously a new GM is a much bigger deal than a new DC in the long term, but I viewed Thompson as a net positive for the organization rather than the millstone that many pegged him as. Gutekunst has a chance to move the organization forward if he can factor in supplemental FA help.
  3. 1st Round Trades: The Packers moved from #14 to #27 for a 5th and next year's 1st. They then traded a 3rd and a 6th to get back up to #18. So essentially they landed Jaire Alexander and a 5th for a 3rd and 6th. Because the pick spent on him, #18, is replaced by an extra 1st next year. Obviously the extra year wait has to be factored too, but that is a slick move.
  4. Adams: Adams' extension is technically part of this offseason even though it happened ages ago. He got 4/58/30. Despite the fact that he just signed in December, he's 7th in annual average. He will be moved down the list in short order as guys like Beckham, Cooks, Cooper, Thomas, etc. get their next deals. We have him for 1.5M less per season than Sammy Watkins. And before anyone says that Adams is just a product of Rodgers, his 16 game pace from games with Bret Hundley would have come out to 94/1118/9. So you're talking about a top 10 receiver in catches, yards, and TD's with maybe the league's worst QB play.
  5. Wilkerson: The Packers got Wilkerson, 28, on a cheap, one year deal. The risk is minimal. They're fine on the DL even if he busts, and they have no long term investment. However, they gave themselves the chance at a really good contributor for very little money. That's how you give yourself a chance to be a big winner in FA.
  6. Quantity: I like the trend over the past couple of seasons where the Packers give themselves multiple shots at addressing an area of need. Last year, it was the running backs. They took three shots in the draft, and it looks like Aaron Jones will be a gem. This year it was corner (Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, Tramon Williams, Davon House) and receiver (J'mon Moore, Marques Valdez-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown).
  7. Jordy: Cutting him hurt, but it was the right move. You can't have three receivers accounting for 20% of your salary cap, and it was clear that Jordy is physically running on empty at this point.
  8. Graham: I like that the Packers were aggressive in addressing the biggest hole on their roster, I like that it was with a veteran as rookies take a long time to develop at TE, and I like the possibilities in the red zone. I don't like the age seasons they're getting Graham for (31, 32, 33) combined with his injury history and the amount of money he's getting (highest paid TE). On the whole, I don't like the move but I do understand it. I would have preferred Trey Burton.
Nice job with "trades" in there. Great perspective.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can anyone doubt that the best move was getting Kizer? According to noted QB expert Mike McCarthy, Kizer is as good as Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, and Josh Rosen. I mean, getting an elite, face-of-the-franchise QB for Randall is just plain highway robbery. With all the glowing comments from the coaching staff, the Packers have no need to extend Rodgers, just let him play out his deal and then hand the keys to the guy McCarthy says is amazing but couldn't complete 55% of his passes in Cleveland (probably just a problem with the receivers I'm sure).