Rank the draft picks

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are wondering who those guys are...
Quotes in purple were from the player's Wikipedia pages.

1. Mason Crosby-160 Kickers are usually picked in the 6th/7th if at all.
2. Clark Harris-124 "Harris was re-added to the practice squad the next day but was cut again on September 11, 2007.
Harris was then signed by the Detroit Lions to the practice squad on November 28, 2007. He was re-signed by the Lions on August 19, 2008, only to be waived during final cuts on August 30. On September 17, 2008, Harris was signed to the practice squad of the Houston Texans "
3. C.J. Wilson-84
4. Brad Jones-83
5. Tyrone Culver-80
6. Dave Tollefson-78 "Tollefson spent the whole 2006 NFL season as a member of the practice squad."
7. James Starks-76
8. Desmond Bishop-75
9. Jarius Wynn-69 "During the 2010 preseason, Wynn was released during the routine cuts that are mandated by the NFL for the 53-man roster. He tried out for the Seattle Seahawks but wasn't signed. " Didn't even get to a practice squad but was signed later as an injury replacement.
10. Lawrence Guy-67 IR'd year one then " he was re-signed to the practice squad on September 3, 2012."
11. Korey Hall-61 Drafted 2006 but no stats at pro-reference which tells me he wasn't on a roster. Practice Squad?
12. Johnny Jolly-61
Of the 12 players you presented, which is one of three draft picks to start with, 1 was a kicker, 1 was flat out cut by 2 teams, and 4 more went to the practice squad. I did not go looking for the first season results of the other 24. So I re-iterate that calling a 6/7 round pick a MAJOR REACH is unwarranted. Actually this shows the practice squad does what it was designed to do, give marginal players extra structured time to develop.

OP
OP
F

FrozenTakesInGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, people rarely get asked the same question when they call a late pick a "steal" or a great value. I'm not trying to pick at someone just because they're negative on a couple guys. But when I see someone saying that "I" had a player higher or lower, it gives me pause. I definitely have strong opinions on some players I get around to watching in the top 100, but I can never watch enough to make judgements on guys super late in the draft. So it makes me wonder if that's what others are doing, or if they're just assessing the picks based on the websites (which would be fine).

That's totally fair. When I say "I" this is what I mean.

I have a wife, two kids, and a job. I love sports and football. I watch as much high school and college football as I can. I never miss a Packer game. The college football teams I root for are; Syracuse Orange, Buffalo Bulls, Jackson State Tigers, and UW-Whitewater Warhawks. None of those four teams are televised a lot, so when I get a chance to watch college games I typically have no rooting interest. So, I'm watching for the love of football and because I very much love the NFL Draft.

Like you there are probably roughly 100 guys that I would consider to know well heading into the draft. As you can see from my Big Board, my 6th and 7th round targets came from Power 5 schools that tend to be on TV more (Virginia Tech, Louisville, Kentucky, Baylor, and LSU). Compared to Amichia (South Florida) and Mays (Utah State). As someone who has followed the draft closely for years I have finally found a draft guide that I love and trust, Optimum Scouting. As I read through their 300 page guide that influences me as well. I watch film and highlights on YouTube when I have time as well. I obviously also hear what Mel Kiper and everyone say. Anyway, maybe that's a bit more clarifying.

Amichia and Mays fell into my highly controversial Major Reach category because.

1. I had never seen them play
2. Neither one was listed in my pretty thorough draft guide
3. There were players on the board who I think will have NFL careers
4. I wasn't floored by any of their YouTube film that I watched following the draft
5. In my humble opinion I don't think either of them will play in an NFL game
6. The goal of draft picks is to play in the NFL

D

Deleted member 6794

Korey Hall-61 Drafted 2006 but no stats at pro-reference which tells me he wasn't on a roster.

I guess you didn't find any stats about Hall's 2006 season with the Packers because he was drafted a year later. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts