Randy Ramsey

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was checking out our roster today and noticed how small Ramsey is. I thought he was an OLB but is it possible he is used more as a MLB. I’ve read he is all over the place at camp and was wondering if maybe he’s our fill in next to Kirksey. I’m very nervous with having to play Burks or summers and maybe Ramsey gives us more of an explosive player to cover and blitz from the inside. That’s another reason I wouldn’t mind bringing Clay back. Kirksey plays the safe MLBand clay could just roam and do clay things!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was checking out our roster today and noticed how small Ramsey is. I thought he was an OLB but is it possible he is used more as a MLB. I’ve read he is all over the place at camp and was wondering if maybe he’s our fill in next to Kirksey. I’m very nervous with having to play Burks or summers and maybe Ramsey gives us more of an explosive player to cover and blitz from the inside. That’s another reason I wouldn’t mind bringing Clay back. Kirksey plays the safe MLBand clay could just roam and do clay things!
I don’t think Matthews is the same guy physically or emotionally that he was 7-10 years ago. He’s way more “normal” these days imo.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm sorry but Clay isn't the man to do "clay things"...we have Zadarius for this. Clay is NOT an MLB folks, he is a OLB that was forced to play out of there some for us and occasionally for scheme. Stop trying to make a square block you cherished fit back into a circle hole.

H

HardRightEdge

Ramsey is still listed as an OLB on the depth chart. He's listed at 238 lbs. which dates from the Combine. What he weighs now is anybody's guess. For whatever reason, listed weights can go years before they're updated.

This has been mentioned a million times: Clay Matthews went two consecutive games at ILB without making a tackle when he was younger and healthier. He simply wasn't good at it and there is no reason to think he'd be better at it now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If clay wants to still play he’s going to be signed by a team for a smaller contract and be strictly 3rd and long run after the QB player for a team that has none or has lost its pass rushers

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read somewhere that Clay is being paid 2 million by the Rams which he won't get if he signs with another team. If he signs for less than that with another team he will actually be losing money.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read somewhere that Clay is being paid 2 million by the Rams which he won't get if he signs with another team. If he signs for less than that with another team he will actually be losing money.

Offset by another contract, I believe.

H

HardRightEdge

It's an interesting contract story that has nothing to do with the Packers. Clay Matthews won't be coming back regardless.

Your math is not right, it appears. As the story goes, The Rams liability is reduced by whatever Clay gets paid elsewhere. if somebody pays Clay $1.5 mil then the Rams pay $500,000. If somebody pays Clay $2+ mil, the Rams pay nothing.

Evidently the Rams are holding back a $2 million 2020 roster bonus or guaranteed money, it's not clear to me which. Gurley has a similar complaint. Back in April, after Matthews filed a grievence, LA GM Snead said the money is guaranteed and will be paid with the timing specified in the contract.

Florio seems to be reporting that Matthews still has not been paid based on this contract provision:

“In the event Player’s Contract is terminated and Player, during 2020, has the opportunity to play for any professional organization, Club’s obligation hereunder will be reduced by the amount of any and all compensation, including but not limited to, salary and signing, reporting and/or incentive bonuses earned from any professional football organization.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/09/10/clay-matthews-remains-open-to-playing-this-year/

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Ramsey becomes a backup early in the season if he isn't already. Summers is the backup at BOTH ILB positions. With Burks and Kirksley and their injury issues...Summers can't back up both positions...1 guy can't play 2 spots every play. When Bolton comes back I don't know what that does to the depth chart cause we only saw him for 2 pre-season games last year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What has Ramsay done to indicate that he can be an ILB in this scheme?

He's replacing Fackrell as the pass rusher that can "cover". Meaning, he's adequate in space. But playing an off ball LB? I don't think so.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first time I saw a picture of Ramsey I thought maybe he had the build to play an inside linebacker. Not that that means much. But I think for our D to be effective, we do need two inside linebackers. Maybe Raven Greene can help out there but that is not his real position. Don't think he would be able to handle it and stay healthy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not exactly healthy even now.
I am really talking more about the year, not Sunday. It seemed like he got hurt right after he put a big hit on AJ Dillon. Coincidence? I think the same happened to Kamal Martin.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am really talking more about the year, not Sunday. It seemed like he got hurt right after he put a big hit on AJ Dillon. Coincidence? I think the same happened to Kamal Martin.

Even if that's true it's pure coincidence. Defenders are used to battle with 300+ pound linemen, they don't drop like flies trying to tackle Dillon.

H

HardRightEdge

Even if that's true it's pure coincidence. Defenders are used to battle with 300+ pound linemen, they don't drop like flies trying to tackle Dillon.
Yeah, Dillon averaged 5.3 YPC as a senior against Boston College competition. It was 4.0 against Clemson and 4.0 against Notre Dame, BCs two ranked opponents not including the bowl game Dillon skipped. It wasn't like he was steamrolling college boys.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you’re wrong....... but think you’re probably right.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not disagree with you but I would point out that dealing with defensive linemen is not the same thing as running full steam and tackling a big back running full steam in the opposite direction.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
need an LB that can cover the TE and I think Ramsey may fit that mold. Clay....gotta love the loyalty, but his good days are long behind him. Watched him miss tackles last year and look confused a lot. Kirksey has impressed in practice, lets see if his reads blow Blake out of the water, as the need to find the gap is so important with Lancaster and Lowry getting rag dolled by teams w above average olineman.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not disagree with you but I would point out that dealing with defensive linemen is not the same thing as running full steam and tackling a big back running full steam in the opposite direction.

I certainly wouldn't mind if Anthony Barr dropped like a fly trying to tackle him

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope you’re wrong....... but think you’re probably right.

Don't get me wrong, Dillon has the ability to break tackles once he gets to the second level. I wonder if he has the vision and ability to make cuts to have lineman miss to do it consistently though.

True, defensive backs and smaller linebackers definitely won't like to tackle Dillon but as mentioned above I'm not convinced they be will forced to often.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, defensive backs and smaller linebackers definitely won't like to tackle Dillon but as mentioned above I'm not convinced they be will forced to often.
Depends on the blocking. Jenkins really goes for the 2nd level when he can. So maybe we will see this year if our young OL coach has what it takes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Depends on the blocking. Jenkins really goes for the 2nd level when he can. So maybe we will see this year if our young OL coach has what it takes.

The Packers offensive line doesn't excel at blocking for the run. Even if they did a running back would still have to make the correct reads.

H

HardRightEdge

Don't get me wrong, Dillon has the ability to break tackles once he gets to the second level. I wonder if he has the vision and ability to make cuts to have lineman miss to do it consistently though.
This hits the nail on the head--yards before contact. This is a function of the runner and his OL. There is a theory extant in some parts that the OL (along with the FB and TEs or even WRs on stretch runs, one presumes) that makes the runner, not the other way around. Common sense would say it is both, particularly when talking about zone blocking. Holes are made where the OL can make them; runners have to set them up, see them, and hit them.

If all anybody saw was Mostert and Breida who led the league in YBC among RBs with 100+ carriesaccording to profootballreference.com, one might conclude it's all about the blocking, getting guys clean to the second level with holes you could drive a truck through (as we saw with Mostert at the extreme).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/rushing_advanced.htm

Conversely, Derek Henry's YBC ranked tied for 29th at 1.9 YBC. I think that's a bit misleading looking at the 100 or so plays in his 2019 highlights. There's a lot of reaching and diving at the line and second level with Henry redirecting, with no measure for the quality of contact, with a lot of defensive business decisions made at the third level. He ranked tied 17th. among 45 RBs in footballoutsiders "success rate" which suggests more than a few stuffs at the line bringing down the YBC. In this case, Henry is making his line look better than it is.

Williams ranked tied for 12th. at 2.5 YBC, Jones tied for 15th. 2.4 YBC. I think this is more the RBs than that OL which I would regard as a kind of average run blocking line, probably losing something in that regard this season unless LaFleur loads up with TEs which is probably going to be less than what the TEN-SF wannabes expect. If nobody has noticed Williams gradual improvement in his patience, the precursor to vision, they would not have been paying attention.

All in all, no running back in this league is going to be productive just running over guys, including his won lineman which Dillon's highlight tape shows. We can't say Henry is a wiggly runner with backside jump cuts; what he does show is a second cut and go, a twitchy knack for angles at the line getting guys reaching.

We await the Dillon results. In this league tree trunks are not enough. Maybe his BC line was so bad there were skills he couldn't show or schematically he was coached for one cut and barrel ahead. I believe that's wishful thinking with little evidence of patience in that college tape. I expect the early returns to be disappointing if he gets on the field much if at all in close games. 3rd. and 1! and hope he doesn't injure one of our guys. Patience is first, then you see if the vision follows.

Members online

Latest posts