Randall blasts Packers FO for trading him for Kizer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is what he is, a talented, mouthy, head case. Could have been something here, but if he was here, we likely wouldn't have drafted Savage. I think Savage is going to be better. I'm happy.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I think the Pack would have traded him for a bag of footballs. Ultimately, it looks like they did.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall didn't get traded because he wasn't good enough.

Randall got traded because the locker room and coaches wanted him gone.

Lot of attitude in Cleveland right now. We'll see how that works out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Two things can be true at once.

The Packers should have switched Randall to safety.

Randall got traded because he's an idiot.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is what he is, a talented, mouthy, head case. Could have been something here, but if he was here, we likely wouldn't have drafted Savage. I think Savage is going to be better. I'm happy.
You are probably right, all though we still could have seen a safety taking early. Who knows, Savage could have dropped to our original first rounder, or we could have ended up with a guy like Tornhill or Gardner-Johnson. Still sounds like an amazing secondary to me.

I really can't recall what it was what made MM send him to the locker room earlier in that one game, but apart from that one incident, there were never really character concerns were there?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15 interceptions in 4 years? I can deal with a little attitude....he was FAR from a locker room cancer. He was/is a competitor, and he has passion for the game. I WISH some of the players we've had over the years had that same fire on defense.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Head. Case. Freelancer.

He walked out of the stadium with his team still playing Chicago... don't forget that.

Randall got into it with McCarthy after blowing a coverage and giving up a TD near end of 1st half. Sent to locker room. Sat on bench to start 2nd half, talked to Davon House, put his jacket on and walked out on his teammates. Those veteran players that finished the game wanted him gone.

Damarious Randall had 1 PD in 4 games to that point. 0 INT. Wound up with 4 INT to finish the season in 2017.

He had 4 INT last year with CLE. Big deal. No thanks.

-----

The players we have on this team have WAY more fire than that idiot. They will prove to be WAY better too.

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't forget it, but I'm not going to let one instance change my opinion about him. Like I said the guy's got passion, and maybe that got the best of him that night. Randall was young(relatively still is) and human just like the rest of us. I'm not going to cry murder because he didn't live up to the Captain America standards we lavish on these players for one night.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't referring to you specifically, F>R - just in general.

He was a 3 year veteran at that point. He blew a ton of coverages. You don't walk out on your team.

Figure, his teammates knew how many assignments he blew. It was happening regularly. I'm an ASU Alum, and I still don't want him around... watched him all through college. No.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't referring to you specifically, F>R - just in general.

He was a 3 year veteran at that point. He blew a ton of coverages. You don't walk out on your team.

Figure, his teammates knew how many assignments he blew. It was happening regularly. I'm an ASU Alum, and I still don't want him around... watched him all through college. No.
He blew assignments and coverages while playing out of his natural position though, and even at CB he was average to good. I agree that you do never walk out on your team, but like F>R argued, it was just the one time and we do not know what was said during the argument with MM. I'd also be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he blew the assignments because of his position, but because of his me first attitude. There's a difference. He had plenty of natural ability to be a very good DB. I probably defended him more here than most. I liked him. I think there was a ton of friction between him and ha ha.

I think he could have been managed, but at the end of the day, I don't blame them for moving on either. When he still makes comments like this, shows me he hasn't matured at all. I didn't really expect him to in that regard either, but dealing with that on a daily basis can be exhausting from a management standpoint. And while some are worth dealing with, a few high light plays and a few blown plays a game probably weren't worth it from him to deal with

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he was happy here. The trade was mutually beneficial. Far from cancer, but not really a asset in locker room either. Plus his attitude was more annoying than productive.

Hope he has a good career, but he really should let things go and stop mouthing off.

OP
OP
elcid

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he blew the assignments because of his position, but because of his me first attitude. There's a difference. He had plenty of natural ability to be a very good DB. I probably defended him more here than most. I liked him. I think there was a ton of friction between him and ha ha.

I think he could have been managed, but at the end of the day, I don't blame them for moving on either. When he still makes comments like this, shows me he hasn't matured at all. I didn't really expect him to in that regard either, but dealing with that on a daily basis can be exhausting from a management standpoint. And while some are worth dealing with, a few high light plays and a few blown plays a game probably weren't worth it from him to deal with
Fair assessment, and I'll give you that it's very unprofessional. But you could also argue that he is bitter. And more importantly, very confident in his abilities and potential, qualities people tend to appreciate in a DB. It's not like he hasn't delivered, for us or the Browns.

Sure, he is not one of the greatest to ever play the game, nor is the chance slim that he ever will be, but I reckon after a season or 2 he could end up being a tier 1 safety in this league. If that doesn't warrant arrogance and bitterness after us somewhat discarding him, then what does?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You are probably right, all though we still could have seen a safety taking early. Who knows, Savage could have dropped to our original first rounder, or we could have ended up with a guy like Tornhill or Gardner-Johnson. Still sounds like an amazing secondary to me.

I really can't recall what it was what made MM send him to the locker room earlier in that one game, but apart from that one incident, there were never really character concerns were there?

I'm not sure how we would define "incident," but it was long reported that he was considered a nuisance in the locker room and a head case.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to agree with him. Imagine King, Randall, Savage, Amos and Alexander starting in this secondary. I remember one incident where he was sent to the locker room, yes, but he seemed to be a hard working good football player overall.

Source: https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-believe-packers-traded-him-for-deshone-kizer

(Unsure if links are allowed, will remove if this is not the case)

Obviously, Kizer didn't work out for the Packers. That said, Randall, who is talented, made himself into a pain-in-the-butt the Pack couldn't live with any longer, and so he had to go. For me, no regrets about that.

I do wonder why he's still obsessing about it now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Obviously, Kizer didn't work out for the Packers. That said, Randall, who is talented, made himself into a pain-in-the-butt the Pack couldn't live with any longer, and so he had to go. For me, no regrets about that.

Because he's a head case.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, that infamous incident wasn't the first time he threw a tantrum in the end zone. Whether he was unhappy with somebody blowing a coverage or the defensive call on those occasions is anybody's guess. It would seem the incident in question was different in that he took his complaint to the sidelines or he was told to "do your job" and mouthed back. Could have been an "f" you in there somewhere.

In any event, judging from his tweets, public comments, taunting Hugh Jackson during a game, etc. he's something of a head case. Of course that's not a disqualifier in this game, especially among CBs and WRs who tend toward the mercurial, probably because their winning and losing plays are exposed for all to see.

The bottom line is he was playing out of position in Green Bay, something I said at the time he was drafted and numerous times since, he was not a very good CB, and then he poisoned the well.

It was an unfortunate set of circumstances. Cleveland seems to tolerate "expressive personalities". But you'd wonder for how long if he doesn't play to expectations. He's playing on his 5th. year option so they're not entirely sold on him.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
now that he's finally a starter in cle he starts talking? whatever.

Exactly.

On a tangent note, I rather like the fact that our G.M., who traded for Kizer, has in effect admitted it didn't work out by releasing him a little after a year. He could have dug his heels in and insisted the coaching staff try to make it work in a face-saving effort, but he cut bait and moved on.

Gute for him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is exactly the case. Randall wasnt good at cb and he was a safety originally. Packers tried to fit a arrogant square peg in a round hole. His view of his talent has always been beyond his actual production. His still gave up quite a few catches last year and didnt grade out as a great safety - 73 at PFF. He gets interceptions but also gets beat a lot.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that he felt he needed to pile on the Packers' FO after Kizer didn't work out for us tells me all I have to know about that goof. Cleveland can have him...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't going to be re-signed, we had hoped to get more out of Kizer - we didn't, we move on. We're better at CB now and we'll try again at QB.

H

HardRightEdge

Could be....All the more reason to send him on his way.
And yet we had to endure post after post about why the Packers should have traded for Antonio Brown or OBJ. There's two head cases for you. Head cases are tolerated if they ball out. If not, then not. Randall didn't so he wasn't. Now he might. Sh*t happens.
His still gave up quite a few catches last year and didnt grade out as a great safety - 73 at PFF. He gets interceptions but also gets beat a lot.
While not "great," 73 is actually a decent PFF grade. For example, PFF scored Alexander at 72. Randall might have to do better to offset his head case liabilities to get that next contract in Cleveland. If he does, then he might.

Reaction score

IMO it’s the same reason we kicked him to the curb. He can’t control his emotions. Conversely, to some extent, his emotions control him.

Members online

Latest posts