Raji Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a multitude of reasons other than "lack of effort". I've named several. My point is Internet GMs who profess to know a players level of effort are pretty ridiculous. Green Bay paid him 4x what they HAD to pay him. They named him the starter. I used to run my own business, I'd never pay a guy 4x what I could get him for unless I figured I needed to to outbid other people, and I'd NEVER pay ANY money to a guy I thought was a slacker over a protracted period of time. My philosophy proved pretty successful, so I'd imagine GB has a similar mind set.

As Paul mentioned, the issues with a lack of effort and motivation on Raji's part date all the way back to his Boston College days. You're the only one in complete denial about it. You have still not adequately explained how a supposedly great player like Raji becomes a one tackle per game type player with zero interior presence, unless it was from a lack of effort.

Please don't give me that "playing out of position" garbage. For one, you're talking about a position he played in 2010 in his best year, a position he's played most of his pro career. For another, great players are still great players regardless of where they line up. Matthews played half the season out of position and remained dominant. Lining up outside instead of in the middle doesn't prohibit a D-lineman from shedding blocks.

And you hiring employees for your business is not remotely comparable to how free agency operates in the NFL.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is anyone besides myself trying to figure out if a successful, retired, 58 year old business owner who is way to busy to watch game film actually has the time to post on forums and use the terms "haters gonna hate" and LOL?

Something just does not seem right.
Shows how narrow minded you are LOL

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone refresh my memory? Why was Raji moved from NT to DT after the 2010 season? He played very well as a NT, and the plan was to get him back there for 2014 before the biceps injury. Not that it matters, he is clearly best at NT.

Too bad for him he didn't sign that $8 mil offer mid season 2013. But good for us. If he really is back physically, I think he'll excel. Then get Guion back after he serves his 4 game suspension for being an idiot, and you have some quality and depth at NT, and don''t have to address through FA - maybe a late round or UFA pick up.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji on March 11th: "Right now, my leverage might not be where it will be in the coming months but that's OK. It's not just about money," Raji said. "Especially being a Green Bay Packer, and being a part of that lineage, I want my name back to being talked about with the great ones. I can either take away or add to the legacy — and I want to add to it."

Raji on March 12th: As for Raji, he may not be giving the Packers a so-called "hometown discount" like Randall Cobb and Bryan Bulaga did. "Do I want to be back in Green Bay?" Raji responded when asked, via Dunne. "Green Bay is a great place. But this is also a business. And I’m going to let my agent take care of that part of it."

I don't blame BJ if he wants to take the best offer available, but this seems kind of contradictory to me --like he got some offers between March 11th and 12th that were higher than he expected that changed his tune. He's saying the right things about getting back, but talk is cheap, and there's a big difference between appearing to understand and actually being able to put that into motion.

Ever since he (thankfully) turned down an exceptionally fair offer from us, I've never really believed he is motivated for the right reasons, and this just kind of enforces it for me.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone refresh my memory? Why was Raji moved from NT to DT after the 2010 season? He played very well as a NT, and the plan was to get him back there for 2014 before the biceps injury. Not that it matters, he is clearly best at NT.

Too bad for him he didn't sign that $8 mil offer mid season 2013. But good for us. If he really is back physically, I think he'll excel. Then get Guion back after he serves his 4 game suspension for being an idiot, and you have some quality and depth at NT, and don''t have to address through FA - maybe a late round or UFA pick up.
Good drama free post!!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shows how narrow minded you are LOL

I like how you just pop in with these one line zingers, but when you're proven completely wrong ("Matthews never said he was injured"), or asked legitimate questions ("If Raji was giving 100% effort, how do you explain one of the worst statistical seasons for a DE in NFL history?), you just choose to skim by and ignore it.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's kind of a myth that Raji is a much better NT. The last season he was predominantly a NT was 2011, and he was atrocious that season. In 2012 he predominantly played DE. I don't remember exactly why but I'm sure it had to do with preferring Pickett in that spot. He actually had a much better season in 2012 than 2011.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine Nitschke telling Lombardi he couldnt go, because some guy hit him in the ribs? How embarrassing.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you imagine Nitschke telling Lombardi he couldnt go, because some guy hit him in the ribs? How embarrassing.

So you don't believe him that he was really injured, but saying Raji was slacking after he set an NFL record for worst tackles to snaps ratio is purely speculation. Got it.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he really is back physically, I think he'll excel. Then get Guion back after he serves his 4 game suspension for being an idiot, and you have some quality and depth at NT, and don''t have to address through FA - maybe a late round or UFA pick up.

Raji and Guion would form an average tandem at the NT position, nothing to get excited about though. In this case I would still like the Packers to spend an early draft pick on the position.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my bad.... I just saw the article its march 14 2014 not 2015.. Sorry

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bays cannot count on Guion since he probably won't suit up the First 4 games

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would like if the packers signed raji and red bryant to team friendly deals this offseason. I do not have much of an interest in guion anymore

Reaction score
I don't know if it's common in football, but I was encouraged by seeing Raji on the sideline for our games last year; makes it look like he's buying into being a Packer. I'm in favour of taking him on a low money contract to at least add depth (who knows, maybe making him fight for the starters job will give him the kick up the **** he so clearly needs).

That said, I still think we need to get someone with starter's ability in free agency or the draft because Guion can obviously be improved on and it'd be hugely irresponsible to go into the season with the assumption that Raji will be at his best.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It means some people don't believe in giving anyone a chance at redemption for any reason.

Are you referring to Raji? Because I think plenty are willing to give him a shot at redemption; most just don't trust him enough to want him as the team's starting NT heading into the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are you referring to Raji? Because I think plenty are willing to give him a shot at redemption; most just don't trust him enough to want him as the team's starting NT heading into the season.

Mostly a lot of us don't want him to be paid like a starter. If he shows up fully motivated and plays on the level he's capable of I would be fine with him being the starter.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson were fine (in fact enthused), with him being the starter last year. Is say the duo of Raji and Guion gives GB a DECENT situation at that position. What is the cap impact of signing a player you pretty much KNOW is going to be suspended for 25% of the season?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson were fine (in fact enthused), with him being the starter last year.
(As already posted) they were "enthusiastic" having him sign a contract containing just $500K of guaranteed money; "enthusiastic" at his agreeing to rank 13th of the 15 DTs who signed contracts since the start of UFA in March of last year.

Bringing up the same point over and over, particularly after it's been refuted is a sign you are mentally bankrupt on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts