Raji Redux

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

I'm fairly confident Raji will be signed for the following reasons:

- little league interest before the injury
- the coaches liked what they saw out of him back at NT before the injury
- last season he was rehabbing in Green Bay, traveled with the team and participated in meetings
- his rehab looks to be complete based on the following:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/296020101.html

"On Tuesday, Raji shoulder-pressed 335 pounds for five sets of five while sitting down, he said. On Wednesday, Carini had Raji working the bench press at 450 pounds."

"He’s actually better now than he’s ever been," said Carini, a former New Jersey Strong Man-winner himself who has trained Raji since he came out of Boston College. "He has to have a monster year. He knows it. And he’s just looking forward to the opportunity.”

“This will blow your mind, too," he said. "This week on my squat machine, he back-squatted 1,100 pounds for three sets.”

“It’s so phenomenal," Carini said. "His hip strength — the size of his thighs — he’s taking these weights but he’s going way, way past parallel which means his hips are going way below his kneecap. And he’s just powering straight up. No hesitation. It’s just phenomenal.”

Now, if a motor could be enhanced in the weight room we might have something.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fairly confident Raji will be signed for the following reasons:

- little league interest before the injury
- the coaches liked what they saw out of him back at NT before the injury
- last season he was rehabbing in Green Bay, traveled with the team and participated in meetings
- his rehab looks to be complete based on the following:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/296020101.html

"On Tuesday, Raji shoulder-pressed 335 pounds for five sets of five while sitting down, he said. On Wednesday, Carini had Raji working the bench press at 450 pounds."

"He’s actually better now than he’s ever been," said Carini, a former New Jersey Strong Man-winner himself who has trained Raji since he came out of Boston College. "He has to have a monster year. He knows it. And he’s just looking forward to the opportunity.”

“This will blow your mind, too," he said. "This week on my squat machine, he back-squatted 1,100 pounds for three sets.”

“It’s so phenomenal," Carini said. "His hip strength — the size of his thighs — he’s taking these weights but he’s going way, way past parallel which means his hips are going way below his kneecap. And he’s just powering straight up. No hesitation. It’s just phenomenal.”

Now, if a motor could be enhanced in the weight room we might have something.

I don´t think anyone has ever questioned his athletic ability. If only we could get a motivated Raji for an entire season.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t think anyone has ever questioned his athletic ability. If only we could get a motivated Raji for an entire season.

1 year deal might be the motivation he needs. Make him play like he did in during the super bowl run. I think that was a contract year, right?

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

1 year deal might be the motivation he needs. Make him play like he did in during the super bowl run. I think that was a contract year, right?
So, Rico, how's the arm? Still slinging those steaks? Still in the market for a backup job? ;)

2013 was Raji's contract year and he tanked after turning down a reported $8 mil per year deal. 2014 was a one year "prove it" deal. I would expect the same for 2015.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
335 on a shoulder press for sets of 5? dang. I gather he's a bit stronger than I ever was. :)

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should keep raji I think they do cuz if they gave him a shot again last yr they can't help a injury I see him back for another prove it contract but less

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So "we" honestly believe that the Packers gave millions of dollars last year to a player they thought was not putting forth honest effort? And "we" anticipate they will do the same thing again this years? Just my opinion, but I think that is ridiculous.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So "we" honestly believe that the Packers gave millions of dollars last year to a player they thought was not putting forth honest effort? And "we" anticipate they will do the same thing again this years? Just my opinion, but I think that is ridiculous.

Remember that you're talking about sports salaries. To say they gave/will give millions to someone they thought wasn't giving it his all but perhaps had the potential isn't all that unbelievable.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I won't be a guy who says that definitely did happen. I don't have any insider knowledge. But that goes both ways, I have no insider knowledge to think that they didn't, either.

I do think what you're describing happens. Especially with "stat guys" - WR, RB, pass rushers - guys who want their name in the paper. I think it happens less often with "non-stat guys" - offensive linemen, blocking backs, run stuffers - guys who do *not* want their name in the paper. And I think sometimes players who are "stat guys" at heart are asked by the team to be a "non-stat guy". Which can be frustrating. So they end up phoning it in a little too often.

**IF** Raji got paid on a prove it deal, and i admit the one year contract makes me think that is what happened, this is what my opinion would be - I think the organization sees his potential and wants him to live up to it, but they're not willing to commit lots of years and LOTS of money for a player that doesn't want to play the role that the team asks of him.

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believeeeeeeee in Raji. :D Not even close to being ready to give up on that dude.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

"We" know guys who don't put forth honest effort get paid all of the time in this league. College guys with impressive athletic measurements and questionable motors get drafted in the first round. Why? "We" know it's on the hope they'll change their stripes.

You should ask yourself why the Packers went from $8 mil per year offer before the awful 2013 season to one year at $4 mil deal that nobody else wanted to top. I'll answer that for you...it's because everybody knows he tanked.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else this shows that Raji is doing everything he can to have himself in excellent shape come training camp. I do have a biased I suppose as I wrote 2 days ago how I believe 90 will show up this year but in all honesty tell me this news doesn't fire you up just a lil?! I know the weight room isn't the same as the field but for those of you with lifting experience you can't tell me it doesn't take determination and a motor to show up day after day and put the work in. Like I said a couple days back I understand any and all skepticism but the bottom line is talent affords people extra chances and that is one thing Big 90 has a bunch of. While I concede this is all just fodder right now the fact he stayed with the team all year and is destroying the weight room only further excites me and the possibility we see 2010 Raji this upcoming season. Fingers crossed...G P G!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If nothing else this shows that Raji is doing everything he can to have himself in excellent shape come training camp. I do have a biased I suppose as I wrote 2 days ago how I believe 90 will show up this year but in all honesty tell me this news doesn't fire you up just a lil?! I know the weight room isn't the same as the field but for those of you with lifting experience you can't tell me it doesn't take determination and a motor to show up day after day and put the work in. Like I said a couple days back I understand any and all skepticism but the bottom line is talent affords people extra chances and that is one thing Big 90 has a bunch of. While I concede this is all just fodder right now the fact he stayed with the team all year and is destroying the weight room only further excites me and the possibility we see 2010 Raji this upcoming season. Fingers crossed...G P G!

Yeh, buddy, that's what I'm talking about! :tup:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing about Raji is going to fire me up until he's signed and plays a complete year at a high level. Yes this sounds encouraging, but then wasn't it his trainer that he's had since college that was talking about his client? Not saying he's lying, but I hardly expect him to say anything less.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that we have to say "2010 Raji" makes me a little uneasy. I can understand the injuries. That'll happen. But a healthy Raji not giving 100% is something that bothers me. When a guy has the talent but you can't get it out of him it may be time to cut the ties, or at least continue on with the "prove-it" deals.

Glad to hear is putting in the work in the weight room, now just need it to translate.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said it before: fool me once, shame on you. Fool me seventeen times and you must be BJ Raji...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didnt we have this same talk last year? the annual "bring back raji for a one year contract" talk

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Didnt we have this same talk last year? the annual "bring back raji for a one year contract" talk
Yup. Just like the "get rid of Hawk" discussions going back 3 years...two cases of one-time core players overstaying the sell-by date. At least with Hawk there was a dead cap amount that provided a disincentive to moving on.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Yes this sounds encouraging, but then wasn't it his trainer that he's had since college that was talking about his client? Not saying he's lying, but I hardly expect him to say anything less.
I expect the trainer's report is fairly accurate. One session in the Packer weight room will prove or disprove the claims, and if they're untrue the guy's name will be mud. Of course I have been known to underestimate the depths of stupidity that can be reached.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
Raji has the talent. I personally would like to see him back given that its a cheap 1 year prove it deal. If anything else its worth it to have the depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts