raji for 2

who would be hardest to stop running the ball when going for 2 points?

• lacy

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • raji

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i put myself in the d coordinators shoes. game on the line... who would i least want to see running the ball on a 2 pt conversion?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i put myself in the d coordinators shoes. game on the line... who would i least want to see running the ball on a 2 pt conversion?

Until he fumbles and the Packers lose by a point. Don't get me wrong, the idea of a huge man charging into the line is appealing but I'm more of a let the guys do what they do best kind of a person. All Raji has is bulk and momentum. If he runs into the line and they stuff him he's down. If Lacy gets stuffed he has the ability to keep it going by keeping on plowing ahead or spinning out and breaking it to the outside.

Now I wouldn't mind seeing Raji in there for a fake and the give to Lacy. Maybe they run Raji a few time during the preseason and use him as a decoy during the regular season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
every team has big guys, some bigger than Raji, some that can run faster too. Now ask yourself, why don't ALL teams in the NFL line up the big guys and plow into the line? why don't half of them do it? why not 10%? Ask yourself why you see it so little and then maybe you'll have your answer, but more likely you'll just think you're on to something new that nobody has ever thought of before :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Fridge was awesome back in the day.

An extra yard is a long way when it comes to a goal line defense. I think plowing it in from the 1 is a lot easier than from the 2.

Perry was a gimmick used primarily against the Packers. We remember him as being awesome because he blew Cumby out of the stadium on one TD and if I remember correctly he also caught a TD against us. Oh, and he also robbed Payton of a TD in the SB.

He had 9 carries for 6 yards and 3 TDs with 1 reception for a TD.

Like I said before and Mondio expanded upon, let your RBs do the running. Look what happened when we tried to sneak Peppers in on offense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy in the backfield with four WRs. Can't load up to stop the run, have to play dime and the best QB in the game can throw or run...oline is blocking four dlinemen and a coverage linebacker is left to stop Lacy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy in an inverted wishbone with Raji and Kuhn making holes on both sides of the line sounds like fun. Lacy is a big running back with lots of power. When you combine that with speed he likely packs just as much punch as Raji. Footwork is also another important consideration especially on the goal line. Somebody already mentioned the ability to change direction if needed. However, RBs and Olinemen are taught to keep their feet chopping when pushing the pile. You rarely see DL doing this. They are either powering through or around a player or "setting the anchor" in the gap. They don't have the same footwork mentality that is crucial once the RB hits the pile. There are too many other nuances that typically make an experienced RB the better option.

As someone else said, having a big DL run the ball is more of a gimmick than a tactical advantage.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy in the backfield with four WRs. Can't load up to stop the run, have to play dime and the best QB in the game can throw or run...oline is blocking four dlinemen and a coverage linebacker is left to stop Lacy.
I agree. I have always wondered why the Packers line up tight and the runningback gets stuffed. Spread it out, go out of the shotgun or pistol, let Lacy have some vision and pick his hole. Then after Rodgers hands him the ball, he could do a little fake jump pass like Favre used to do to freeze the linebackers.

Give me the headset and the clipboard! - oh, and keep Raji on the bench...

D

Deleted member 6794

An extra yard is a long way when it comes to a goal line defense. I think plowing it in from the 1 is a lot easier than from the 2.

Absolutely true. Over the last 15 years NFL teams scored a TD rushing from the 1-yard line on 54.6% while only scoring on 39.8% of the plays from two yards out.

I would like the Packers to spread it out near the goal line as well but even with four wide receivers on the field the defense doesn´t have to line up in dime cause the secondary doesn´t need safety help over the top in these situations. A defense lining up in a nickel package would be able to cover Lacy with a defensive back.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like the Packers to spread it out near the goal line as well but even with four wide receivers on the field the defense doesn´t have to line up in dime cause the secondary doesn´t need safety help over the top in these situations. A defense lining up in a nickel package would be able to cover Lacy with a defensive back.

And that safety is going to hesitate on his initial move because he doesn't know if the Packers are going play-action. Even if the safety doesn't hesitate, you still have 5 olinemen blocking 4 dlinemen and Lacy able to pick and chose his hole AND I'll take Lacy being able to bowl over a safety for two yards even if he is met in the hole. Point being that having a running back with vision and power going against a defense that's spread out and not able to concentrate on the run should allow the offense to gain two yards more often than not.

D

Deleted member 6794

Even if the safety doesn't hesitate, you still have 5 olinemen blocking 4 dlinemen and Lacy able to pick and chose his hole AND I'll take Lacy being able to bowl over a safety for two yards even if he is met in the hole.

Once again, I agree with the idea of spreading it out near the goal line. I would expect the defense to cover each receiver with a single defensive back though so the offensive line would actually have to block six or seven guys.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, I agree with the idea of spreading it out near the goal line. I would expect the defense to cover each receiver with a single defensive back though so the offensive line would actually have to block six or seven guys.

Well, if that's how the defense wants to play it then I would expect Rodgers to audible and throw the ball. Four wide receivers means there's gonna be some pretty awful corners on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, if that's how the defense wants to play it then I would expect Rodgers to audible and throw the ball. Four wide receivers means there's gonna be some pretty awful corners on the field.

Nickel and dime corners have significantly improved over the last decade or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'll take Rodgers throwing it quickly to Adams/Cobb/Nelson/whoever to only gain two yards against any set of corners in the NFL.

While I agree with that statement the Packers have only converted 6 of 13 two-point conversions on which Rodgers threw the ball since 2008.

H

HardRightEdge

Before opening this thread, I thought it would be about Raji eating for two, obviously not in the pregnant women kinda way.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you all are under estimating the force of nature, that is BJ Raji. This guy is a baller. he had like a 30 or 33" verticle...... at 340 damn pounds.

The only thing wrong with this idea, is the fact we have beast mode 2.0, Mr. Eddie Lacy at RB... You dont bench arguably the best RB in the league, for a gimmick.

Raji at FB would be just as fun to watch. I would go with that. :)

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When did the NFL change the extra point rule?? I've been out of the loop...
this off season... It has a lot of mathematical implications. Percentage wise, the 2pt conversion is very slightly the better option... everything might change. something like 92% FG% from new extra point line, and a 46.5% 2 point conversion ... very slight, but numbers along with team strengths and weaknesses will, IMO add a whole new dynamic to the game...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you all are under estimating the force of nature, that is BJ Raji. This guy is a baller. he had like a 30 or 33" verticle...... at 340 damn pounds.

Cool, maybe he can use that force and athleticism to actually get off a couple blocks this year and be the power that he hasn't been for 5 years now. I'd like to see him focus on that before worrying about him getting snaps on 2 point plays.

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this off season... It has a lot of mathematical implications. Percentage wise, the 2pt conversion is very slightly the better option... everything might change. something like 92% FG% from new extra point line, and a 46.5% 2 point conversion ... very slight, but numbers along with team strengths and weaknesses will, IMO add a whole new dynamic to the game...
Thank you for that explanation Eli Haugen :) I'll also check out NFL dot com for further info..

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hopefully the Packer's coaching staff learned from the Seahawks game and will actually take this kind of analysis into account when making the choice.

On the topic of Raji carrying the ball...He might be 330 lbs but he's only going to run into two gaps (it's not like anyone expects him to read the defense and make a cut off-tackle) and when the defense can stack three 300+ lb dlinemen and a couple big linebackers into those two gaps, Raji is gonna have a lot of problems just fitting through the trash. Not to mention the higher likelihood of a fumble.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully the Packer's coaching staff learned from the Seahawks game and will actually take this kind of analysis into account when making the choice.

On the topic of Raji carrying the ball...He might be 330 lbs but he's only going to run into two gaps (it's not like anyone expects him to read the defense and make a cut off-tackle) and when the defense can stack three 300+ lb dlinemen and a couple big linebackers into those two gaps, Raji is gonna have a lot of problems just fitting through the trash. Not to mention the higher likelihood of a fumble.

Agreed. A FB dive to Raji is going to be a low percentage play that might work once as a gimmick if you set it up with play action several times first. Not to mention that in recent years Raji hasn't demonstrated the ability to shed a solo blocker, much less multiple tacklers while carrying the ball.

Trust us, if it were this easy, we would have worked him into our 4th and short playbook long ago.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im of the believing that Raji was a stud his rookie year. Over played and left on an island the following 3 years he finally lost motivation. By the time he started getting help and decided to NOT play himself out of GB. (A strategy many have tried, and not even the living legend Brett Favre survived the wrath of the GB family tree.) By simply dragging rear 1 year (contract year) he not only was left to leave. Nobody around the league thought he was reliable... He comes back to prove it year, and has his first major injury......

Im shocked people have such a low perception of what Raji is capable of. Like they havnt understood the dynamics of the last 4 years with Raji.

I would bet big that Raji not only plays well. He will be destroying guys..... Why? Peppers a mature Daniels, and a veteran force in Guion. Not just Mathews, but besides Mathews. Who will also be running wild with a dominant Raji inside again...

Writing is on the wall.

Members online

Latest posts