raji for 2

who would be hardest to stop running the ball when going for 2 points?

• lacy

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • raji

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think people have a low perception of Raji is capable of, most of us are fully aware he's capable of being great. What he's capable of isn't the issue, it's his level of production on field that has been.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think people have a low perception of Raji is capable of, most of us are fully aware he's capable of being great. What he's capable of isn't the issue, it's his level of production on field that has been.
This recent LB and secondary dominant defense Capers developed was IMO, a reach. Raji was a sack master DT at BC. Then he comes to GB and has a great year. Then every year one of his comrades fell... By year 3 he was alone out there!!! Neal? hurt... Harrell and Worthy? Hey if they didnt work out then get a replacment! He was left alone on an island...

Do you really blame him for thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence??? I dont. He is a dominant DT for Giants or Seattle. cashing big checks!

I think he realized the error of his ways. Came back to prove his value. Weither for a new deal with GB or for a new deal as a DT. Then he got hurt......

Raji is smart. He seen the power of the GB family tree. he knows its wrath... I believe he will stay in GB...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll take Rodgers throwing it quickly to Adams/Cobb/Nelson/whoever to only gain two yards against any set of corners in the NFL.
I'll take Adams on this one. Not many CB's are going to be able to stop him in his tracks. Imo, He's going to inflict punishment on those little guys.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im of the believing that Raji was a stud his rookie year. Over played and left on an island the following 3 years he finally lost motivation. By the time he started getting help and decided to NOT play himself out of GB. (A strategy many have tried, and not even the living legend Brett Favre survived the wrath of the GB family tree.) By simply dragging rear 1 year (contract year) he not only was left to leave. Nobody around the league thought he was reliable... He comes back to prove it year, and has his first major injury......

Im shocked people have such a low perception of what Raji is capable of. Like they havnt understood the dynamics of the last 4 years with Raji.

I would bet big that Raji not only plays well. He will be destroying guys..... Why? Peppers a mature Daniels, and a veteran force in Guion. Not just Mathews, but besides Mathews. Who will also be running wild with a dominant Raji inside again...

Writing is on the wall.

The dynamics of the last 4 years?? He's sucked for 3, and been hurt for 1. And you think we should have a higher opinion of him because he quit and gave up on the team?

Also, Raji wasn't a stud his rookie year. He was ok, statistically. And if he was a stud, there should be no 'out of position' excuses, because he was playing DE. He had one year of being a stud, 2010. Other than that, every healthy year for him has either been okay, or just plain awful. Not one bad year surrounded by ones as you make it sound.

I have never heard fans make more excuses for a player as I hear for BJ Raji. 'Oh, he's playing out of position.' 'Oh, he was hurt.' 'Oh, he got tired.' 'Oh, he was in a bad situation.' 'Oh, they didn't surround him with enough talent.'

Holy freaking cow, even if every one of these was true, BJ Raji is not the first NFL player asked to play a similar position, or the first player to be surrounded by role players and still have a job to perform. You'd think he was by the excuses.

Also, the very idea that he's somehow been jaded by the organization is absolutely absurd. Raji had a generous rookie contract which he underperformed. They still offered him a lucrative extension based on their perception of his ability which he snubbed. He got paid $4M last year to do nothing. This franchise owes BJ Raji nothing. And I hope you're right that he rebounds, but Raji is a disappointing player unless he can prove to be a stud again. Not the other way around, and even he knows that.

Raji quite obviously has a cult following of fans that just can't seem to accept that he's a long ways and 5 years removed from being the player that was dancing in the end zone after a pick 6 in the NFC title game.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, your opinion of Raji doesn't exactly paint him in a flattering light. So you're straight up saying he just decided to quit because he didn't like how he was being used and didn't like the talent around him? And that's the guy you want to keep long-term? Yikes, you can have that guy. I want the guy who says 'I'm going to try to teach my teammates to be better players and go out there and give 100% for my team in whatever role I need to. I'm going to be a beast and I'm going to put this D on my back. '

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What some forget about Raji is he played himself out of the pass rushing role in the 2-4-5. That was supposedly his forte at NT in 2010 (quick inside penetration), so the out-of-position excuse doesn't fly IMO. There's no excuse for him giving less than full effort. I hope he rebounds big time but that won't invalidate criticism of his lack of effort in the past.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji was a sack master DT at BC. Then he comes to GB and has a great year. Do you really blame him for thinking the grass was greener on the other side of the fence??? I dont. He is a dominant DT for Giants or Seattle. cashing big checks!

Raji had a total of only 12 sacks during three seasons at Boston College. In addition he missed his junior season because of academic reasons, already a hint he´s probably not the hardest working guy.

He never had a dominant season for the Packers during his career. While he was great rushing the passer in 2010 his run defense wasn´t any good that season. He probably had his best overall season in 2012 but was absolutely terrible in 2011 and ´13.

I would love for him to have a great season in 2015 but I will remain skeptical as long as Raji doesn´t prove it on the field during the regular season.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's what Raji had to say this past March:

"I had to step back and say, 'Listen, B.J. Raji, when people think of your name, no matter how good of a person you are, they're going to think of the football player. You can't change that. The only thing you can change is what they remember. So now, I understand that even though it's a game, it's my job and that's how I'm going to be perceived — right, wrong or indifferent — and that's worth more than money."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...ain-punishing-form-b99460391z1-296011161.html

A guy can be motivated by a love of winning, hate for losing, a simple love for playing the game, or even a fear of life without an NFL paycheck. Somewhere in there needs to be a hankering for that transcendent feeling that comes from whipping an opponent and making a play, or in other venues the sound of swishing the net, the crack of the bat, puring a golf shot. Nowhere in this interview are any of those sentiments expressed. How about a simple, "I missed playing the game"? Can I get a little love, hate, fear or some hankering? The closest we get is, "I wanted to show the defense and the D-line that winning's important." Ya think?

Is concern over bad performance reviews and his legacy sufficient? Is some new found resignation to the fact that others perceive playing good football as more important than being known as a nice guy an auspicious restart?

One supposes superior athletic ability can go some ways toward compensating for desire, however motivated. We'll find out in a few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dynamics of the last 4 years?? He's sucked for 3, and been hurt for 1. And you think we should have a higher opinion of him because he quit and gave up on the team?

Also, Raji wasn't a stud his rookie year. He was ok, statistically. And if he was a stud, there should be no 'out of position' excuses, because he was playing DE. He had one year of being a stud, 2010. Other than that, every healthy year for him has either been okay, or just plain awful. Not one bad year surrounded by ones as you make it sound.

I have never heard fans make more excuses for a player as I hear for BJ Raji. 'Oh, he's playing out of position.' 'Oh, he was hurt.' 'Oh, he got tired.' 'Oh, he was in a bad situation.' 'Oh, they didn't surround him with enough talent.'

Holy freaking cow, even if every one of these was true, BJ Raji is not the first NFL player asked to play a similar position, or the first player to be surrounded by role players and still have a job to perform. You'd think he was by the excuses.

Also, the very idea that he's somehow been jaded by the organization is absolutely absurd. Raji had a generous rookie contract which he underperformed. They still offered him a lucrative extension based on their perception of his ability which he snubbed. He got paid $4M last year to do nothing. This franchise owes BJ Raji nothing. And I hope you're right that he rebounds, but Raji is a disappointing player unless he can prove to be a stud again. Not the other way around, and even he knows that.

Raji quite obviously has a cult following of fans that just can't seem to accept that he's a long ways and 5 years removed from being the player that was dancing in the end zone after a pick 6 in the NFC title game.
Why do you think he snubbed the big offer? Because the system here put him on an island... You sure seem to be acting like a paid lawyer for the packers on this issue. Completely one sided...If GB gave him help. He was playing against triple teams... and you wonder why he quit trying? he wanted out!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask yourself why????????????????

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Triple teams my ***, he was one on one and being beaten like a rented mule. He routinely got walked off the line by ONE guy. Triple teams, you're funny

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think he snubbed the big offer? Because the system here put him on an island... You sure seem to be acting like a paid lawyer for the packers on this issue. Completely one sided...If GB gave him help. He was playing against triple teams... and you wonder why he quit trying? he wanted out!!!!!!!!!!!!! ask yourself why????????????????

LMAO, show me one highlight where Raji was getting triple teamed the last few years. He wasn't even drawing double teams in 2013, ever. This has been established at sites by people who actually pay attention to these things.

Please stop with this, it's ridiculous. He snubbed the big offer because he thought he could do better and was sorely wrong. If he wanted out so bad and snubbed the big offer, why did he decide to take a 'prove it' offer a few months later with us? Since he apparently could have been so much better somewhere else? Oh, nobody else wanted him? Yeah...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Why do you think he snubbed the big offer? Because the system here put him on an island... He was playing against triple teams... and you wonder why he quit trying?
See post #36 for why he didn't take the big offer. "Thinking out of the box" is not making things up or throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Raji was a sack master at BC (no he wasn't). He was triple-teamed (the unfortunate truth was he wasn't stout enough to get triple-teamed). I was right about 3 DL in the dime (no you weren't).

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See post #36 for why he didn't take the big offer. "Thinking out of the box" is not making things up or throwing crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. Raji was a sack master at BC (no he wasn't). He was triple-teamed (the unfortunate truth was he wasn't stout enough to get triple-teamed). I was right about 3 DL in the dime (no you weren't).
Alright. Im going to start making a list of stuck in the box "facts" you ruthlessly force feed... Or as i like to call it obvious crap...

He snubbed 8 mil a year because he thought he could get more hey? I'd like to see a link to this fact... I would speculate from what I seen, he thought he could get a job as a 4-3 DT, and the offer didnt come in. I dont think it was because of the talent. It was because the NFL family of owners have a respect /fear of the GB family tree. You dont scalp our players... He took the "prove it" deal because he didnt get the offer he had hoped...

He wasn't a sack master I guess, now that the stats are up. But as a rookie, he was considered a big guy who can get after the QB... Good enough to be drafted 9th overall... So maybe the generic term sack master you all so kindly spit back in my face, wasnt the best term. But rather than say 12 sacks in 3 years, you couldve easily had said 7.5 sacks, in his 14 game senior college season. I will be more specific from now on since you all take this crap so seriously...

And as far as the dime goes... I (right away) said I assumed too much by the article title. I also asked a dozen times WHO was on the field? Nobody answered, so to be realistic, until they do, nobody can even prove there wasnt 3 D-linemen on the front. (considering the LB confusion).
Even at 2 D-linemen for the dime. Thats one more than we had last year... So i admit I jumped 2 and went to 3 to JOKINGLY start up the debate again. Still taking cheap shots over it... But NONE of you seem to be able to admit that the D-line dominance has dictated that we have 2 D-linemen in the dime now. Lack of D-line talent to run a legit 3-4 or 2-4 or what ever you want to call our defense the last 2-3 years prior to last year. What do you have to say about the 2 D-linemen in the dime Jack?

As far as the triple team comment. I will explain. Thats how I explained the Loco 1 man front defense of 2011 or 2012 or when ever Raji was put on that island. It was a gimick lay it looked like where blockers were standing there pass blocking air with no rushers. Raji ran into the crowd and 2-3 guys put a hand on him... It was weird and was worth a try. Considering we just let our D-linemen go, and the replacments stayed hurt. But we did it for TOOOOOOOOOO long. It became the way, to the point where you guys think a 2-4 is a 3-4. Im glad we got Raji some help up front, and a great defense backing him up. He will most definately shine this year. IMO

My thoughts are very open on the subject... Im asking you VJack? What is your opinion of Raji, and what do you think he will do this year??? Anyone else like to chime in? I'd like the writing on the wall so we can revisit this topic in Jan.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji had a total of only 12 sacks during three seasons at Boston College. In addition he missed his junior season because of academic reasons, already a hint he´s probably not the hardest working guy.

He never had a dominant season for the Packers during his career. While he was great rushing the passer in 2010 his run defense wasn´t any good that season. He probably had his best overall season in 2012 but was absolutely terrible in 2011 and ´13.

I would love for him to have a great season in 2015 but I will remain skeptical as long as Raji doesn´t prove it on the field during the regular season.
He had 6.5 sacks his 2nd year... That isnt dominant? Because I could have sworn you all were praising Daniels and his 5.5 sacks last season???

Why the double standard Wimm?

I want to hear what you think Raji will do this year for us. Put it on the wall...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright. Im going to start making a list of stuck in the box "facts" you ruthlessly force feed... Or as i like to call it obvious crap...

He snubbed 8 mil a year because he thought he could get more hey? I'd like to see a link to this fact... I would speculate from what I seen, he thought he could get a job as a 4-3 DT, and the offer didnt come in. I dont think it was because of the talent. It was because the NFL family of owners have a respect /fear of the GB family tree. You dont scalp our players... He took the "prove it" deal because he didnt get the offer he had hoped...
Seriously? you don't "scalp" our players? i want, what you're having :) must be good stuff. Players generally play well and hard when looking to get a deal from another team in a contract year. I'd like to see evidence that Raji did, LOL

The offer didn't come because he played like a slug with little effort. and guys don't get signed by other teams? I guess you should reference Matt Flynn to Seattle, then Matt Flynn again to the Pats. Or Woodson, or Jennings, or Jones, or Hawk, or Tramon, or Jenkins, or House, etc

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously? you don't "scalp" our players? i want, what you're having :) must be good stuff. Players generally play well and hard when looking to get a deal from another team in a contract year. I'd like to see evidence that Raji did, LOL

The offer didn't come because he played like a slug with little effort. and guys don't get signed by other teams? I guess you should reference Matt Flynn to Seattle, then Matt Flynn again to the Pats. Or Woodson, or Jennings, or Jones, or Hawk, or Tramon, or Jenkins, or House, etc
SOunds like an opposing opinion. And a bunch of demeaning , sarcastic, crap. I dont mind the opinion. But you can keep the other stuff.

And Yes. Half the teams in the league got their GM, Coach, or Director of personel from GB... You cross GB, and you will pay. Ask Brett Favre, the untouchable living legend GB Superstar hero QB how going against GB works?Or Jennings, Or Woodson, or Jenkins.

D

Deleted member 6794

He had 6.5 sacks his 2nd year... That isnt dominant? Because I could have sworn you all were praising Daniels and his 5.5 sacks last season???

Raji was great rushing the passer in 2010, something I mentioned in the post above. He was terrible defending the run that year though so his overall performance wasn't dominating.

I want to hear what you think Raji will do this year for us. Put it on the wall...

I don't think it makes any sense to predict the total number of sacks or tackles for a nose tackle. I hope Raji has realized that this will probably be his last chance to cash in on a long term deal and that he will perform accordingly.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OH brother.... And I suppose when he comes out and get the untouchable 6 sacks for a NT. You were right because you said he would play accordingly to a contract year... Are you a lawyer?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

nothing to say but demeaning sarcasm? How can we expect people here to act normal if the moderators are acting childish as well?

The only one I can see acting childish here is you. You asked a question and Mondio answered it, but because he didn`t answer exactly how you wanted him to he was accused of being sarcastic ??
I`m a moderator and don`t side with ANYBODY but....I`m watching this with interest, and you seem to be trying to antagonise others. You have YOUR opinion, and they have THEIRS !

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its simple Wimm. Is he going to goose egg in the sack column and be beat like a rented goat in the run? Or is he going to dominate the middle with two decent DE's next to him, and two HOF LBs behind him mixing it up? And a secondary that cleans up. I think he could easily get the 6 sacks. and I think if he is that dominant, the two ends will be closing in on double digit sacks... Its a chain reaction. The 3-4 starts at the Nose.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only one I can see acting childish here is you. You asked a question and Mondio answered it, but because he didn`t answer exactly how you wanted him to he was accused of being sarcastic ??
I`m a moderator and don`t side with ANYBODY but....I`m watching this with interest, and you seem to be trying to antagonise others. You have YOUR opinion, and they have THEIRS !
Mondito said I was on drugs. (demeaning) and the smiley faces and laughing? What do you consider it when someone accusues you of being on drugs and dismisses your thoughts with a laugh to your face?

Its not needed. Just like your antagonistic Meme... Im here to talk football.

D

Deleted member 6794

Its simple Wimm. Is he going to goose egg in the sack column and be beat like a rented goat in the run? Or is he going to dominate the middle with two decent DE's next to him, and two HOF LBs behind him mixing it up? I think he could easily get the 6 sacks. and I think if he is that dominant, the two ends will be closing in on double digit sacks... Its a chain reaction. The 3-4 starts at the Nose.

There it is once again, your complete misunderstanding of the 3-4 defense. How many times did someone mention this offseason that J.J.Watt was the only 3-4 DE to surpass 10 sacks last year??? Yet you continue to demand both of our ends to get double digit sacks. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts