Raji and the D-line

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the D-line, in particular Raji, has been awful as of late. I cannot remember the last game where I saw them consistantly colapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB on a consistant basis. The run D has not been anything special lately either (Rams and Vikings ran all over us, I understand Jackson and Peterson are both all pro RBs but both should not run on them like they did).

I feel like a lot of this is because of Raji. He needs to get to be more of a presence inside in my mind. Maybe Raji is getting more double teams than I have seen but I still feel like his decline from the postseason has been the biggest reason for the D's struggles. Ii seems like in a way as Raji goes our D goes.

What does everyone else think?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
You ungrateful ***. We are 7-0!!!! Our defense is perfectly fine. In fact it rivals the 85' Bears.

How dare you speak in this fashion about Dom Capers' defensive unit!!!

Just who the hell do you think you are, huh?

/sarcasm

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to get a pass rush with 340 lb run stoppers. Pickett, Raji, Howard Green, CJ Wilson. Get real...

Even when they drop to two 340's and rush Matthews and whoever else may be on the other side, they have little effect. Teams have been using a TE or RB to help on Matthews and the opposite side -Walden, Zombo, whoever is handled by the LT. You then have three interior linemen to handle the two run stopper and whomever may be blitzing up the middle. Until we get someone on the opposite side or the 340's collapsing the pocket, I'm afraid it will continue to be ineffective on most offensive lines.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/puttin-on-the-blitz-132669698.html

According to this article, Raji has played on 88% of the downs this year. He is averaging one QB pressure every 51.1 plays. Last year he averaged a QB pressure every 32.4 plays. Likewise, Jarius Wynn is second this year with one pressure every 54.2 snaps. Neither Ryan Pickett (226 plays) or CJ Wilson (100 plays) have a single QB pressure this season.

Very interesting that last year, with Cullen Jenkins...
Jenkins had a pressure every 16.1 plays and seemed to open up the pass rush for others. Not only were Raji's numbers better as pointed out above, but Wynn averaged a pressure every 18.1 snaps.

Hence, this year, Dom Capers has been forced to blitz more often than ever - with both 5 rushers as well as 6 rushers that he had very rarely used in the past.

Great article...read it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Great article:
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/puttin-on-the-blitz-132669698.html

According to this article, Raji has played on 88% of the downs this year. He is averaging one QB pressure every 51.1 plays. Last year he averaged a QB pressure every 32.4 plays. Likewise, Jarius Wynn is second this year with one pressure every 54.2 snaps. Neither Ryan Pickett (226 plays) or CJ Wilson (100 plays) have a single QB pressure this season.

Very interesting that last year, with Cullen Jenkins...
Jenkins had a pressure every 16.1 plays and seemed to open up the pass rush for others. Not only were Raji's numbers better as pointed out above, but Wynn averaged a pressure every 18.1 snaps.

Hence, this year, Dom Capers has been forced to blitz more often than ever - with both 5 rushers as well as 6 rushers that he had very rarely used in the past.

Great article...read it.

That is an insider article...We dont allow those contents to be posted..

So the brief summary you made was awesome

Thank you!!

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Raji has been inconsistent this year that is for sure. and we all know that the loss of cullen jenkins is definitely being shown on the field right now. But, I think a week of rest, possibly a Neal return, So'oto learning how to play special teams so he can make the damned roster will really help the front 7 get to the QB more often. If I remember correctly Raji made his big emergence in the second half of the year last year. I keep hearing a line on NFL network and it goes like this " The great players play their best when their best is required from them." Maybe its true maybe its bullocks. I guess for Raji being in the "big show" promotes his play a little bit.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The article apparently is no longer an insider article. It's now free access. I thought this quote was telling;

"In 2009, the Packers rushed four on 64.2% of passes. That number crashed to 49.2% in 2010 and is down even more this year to 40.2%.
"I'm sure B.J. would like to have some more 'Jet' rushes," said McCarthy. "There's not a guy that doesn't want to have more 'Jet' rushes. But we're not doing it as much as we did last year. If you want more production from a pure pass-rushing standpoint, put them in 'Jet.' "
Usually when the Packers pressure, the two defensive linemen are moving sideways in an attempt to tie up blockers and free the blitzers."

I also thought it was interesting that Coach McCarthy wouldn't attribute pressure to any one position. He said; "We're a scheme defense," McCarthy said. "We're not a my-guy-is-better-than-your-guy deal. We're trying to create matchups with different combinations."

So it isn't Raji's fault as much as the coaches have changed the scheme this year.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive been saying this since the beginning of the year.. raji has no sort of explosion off the line.. he comes off way too sluggish and tries to use only his upper body.. flame me all you want but just watch his play

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is the D-line but rather Walden. He can not stop the run to save his life. He makes bad reads and gets blocked easily and also blows contain all the time. I don't want to ever see him do anything other than rush the passer on clear passing downs.

Members online

Latest posts