Raising of Ticket Prices for 2010 season

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Looking forward to getting my letter in the mail from Mark Murphy explaining the increase in ticket price for the upcoming season. Thoughts from anyone else that has season tickets on this forum? I meet a couple guys for beers every week and they seemed to be surprised and upset. I'm neither. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone as it was brought up at the stock holders meeting this last year. I understand this is a big bump in price. My tickets went up $11 per ticket. I have three tickets so its an extra $198 a season for my tickets. I personally don't mind this too much. To me, its the cost of doing business in a small market.

I was also not upset over the increase in sales tax in Brown County to pay for the stadium renovation, or the license fees for the tickets.....what upsets me is the Gold Package. Don't know why Milwaukee fans are entitled to this every year. I would love to hear a varying opinion. I get the importance of the Packers history with Milwaukee. I get that. The Packers played in Camp Randall in Madison a few times and Madison fans don't get tickets. Unless I'm mistaken Milwaukee county doesn't have the sales tax in crease either. I've rambled, but my main point here is I don't mind the increase in fees, but I would like to see Milwaukee fans shoulder more of the financial burden, since they are getting so much for so little.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Milwaukee is already shouldering the tax increase for Miller Park. And getting that was a fight in and of itself.

Doubt very seriously you'd get Milwaukee taxpayers to agree to another hike to shoulder a stadium that sits miles away, and has no impact on the city's economy.

And considering the massive job loss in the Milwaukee area with this economy, the mere mention of it may put your life at risk! :icon_lol:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I neither live in WI nor have season tickets... However, price raise is really standart. Usually they just correct the value with some index scale (Don't know the one in there), and tend to add a moderate percentage, as it's after all, a profitable company.

I don't know the ticker price, but say it's $100, a 10% or so increase per year seems fair to me.

Now, about the Milwaukee privilege, hadn't heard about that, but the way you portait it seems awfully unfair, and I don't see any reasonable explanation as to why this happens...

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, about the Milwaukee privilege, hadn't heard about that, but the way you portait it seems awfully unfair, and I don't see any reasonable explanation as to why this happens...

For years, the Packers played three games at County Stadium - The Shrine (or Bishop, one of the two) Game which is exhibition, one bear game and one other. Then they went to just two games... When that was abandonded completely (County Stadium was demolished and Miller Park was built for baseball only), the Packers organization decided it was in their best interests to retain the many ticket holders Milwaukee provided, many of which have season tickets. They offer a "Gold Package" for three games (one exhibition) in their ticket offerings.

At least that's my memory of it. And in my opinion, it's compeletely fair.

I will add that this new modest increase (average $3 per ticket) was made this year after three years of no increase at all. Tickets for games range from the now $68.00 per (at the lowest end) on up. Quite a bargain if you look at prices for other venues.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
For years, the Packers played three games at County Stadium - The Shrine (or Bishop, one of the two) Game which is exhibition, one bear game and one other. Then they went to just two games... When that was abandonded completely (County Stadium was demolished and Miller Park was built for baseball only), the Packers organization decided it was in their best interests to retain the many ticket holders Milwaukee provided, many of which have season tickets. They offer a "Gold Package" for three games (one exhibition) in their ticket offerings.

At least that's my memory of it. And in my opinion, it's compeletely fair.

I will add that this new modest increase (average $3 per ticket) was made this year after three years of no increase at all. Tickets for games range from the now $68.00 per (at the lowest end) on up. Quite a bargain if you look at prices for other venues.

Every ticket in the Lambeau bowl seating is increased by either $9 or $11. I'm not arguing with the price increase. Don't care about that. I'm saying if people in Milwaukee feel that they are "entitled" to season tickets, i.e. the Gold Package....they should shoulder some of the sales tax burden. The fact that the Packers played games in Milwaukee when I was young upset me then, and this upsets me even more now.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allouez...Sorry for having the dollar amount wrong. It's actually $8.... It's still a comparative bargain.

And I offer that your feelings on the Milwaukee package are biased but you are entitled to your opinion. Tradition is tradition. And to negate an entire section of your fanbase is both shortsighted and foolish, especially since said fanbase is a huge part of the revenue retention. From where I sit, the City of Green Bay should be thankful that three games aren't still held in Milwaukee. That would be three weekends where your business coffers would suffer from the added revenue.

And I'll also add that the Miller Park tax increase doesn't include your county. Maybe it should. I mean really...*** for tat here.

Here's the press release from Packers.com:

Packers To Raise Ticket Prices For 2010 Season
posted 01/22/2010

The Green Bay Packers today announced plans for a price increase on stadium bowl tickets for the 2010 season.

The increase averages $9 per ticket, with a range from $8 to $11, depending on the section in the stadium bowl. It marks the first increase since the 2007 season.

Invoices will be sent next week to season-ticket holders with a letter from Packers President/CEO Mark Murphy. In the letter, Murphy explains to ticket holders, "It was a difficult decision to reach, in light of recent economic conditions, but after much consideration we felt it was necessary for the competitiveness of the franchise."

In the letter, Murphy also stresses the importance of the ticket revenues to the overall Packers operations.

"The new pricing strengthens our ability to be competitive both on and off the field with teams in larger markets. With the future landscape regarding the Collective Bargaining Agreement unknown, teams will be even more competitive in terms of generating revenue. The increased revenue will allow us to focus financial resources on supporting a successful football team, our No. 1 goal.

"Over the past three years our average stadium bowl ticket price fell to 30th in the NFL. Being in that position puts us at a disadvantage from a business standpoint, a situation not viable to the long-term prospects of our publicly owned franchise. For that reason, it is crucial for the Packers to be efficient, smart and competitive with our financial resources, including maintaining an appropriate ticket price.

"This ticket-price increase will bring us closer to the NFL average and continue to recognize the value of Lambeau Field's gameday experience."

The gameday atmosphere at Lambeau Field annually is ranked as one of the best experiences in pro sports. In 2009, Lambeau again was ranked as the No. 1 stadium experience in ESPN The Magazine's Fan Satisfaction Rankings. It ranked No. 1 in 2007 and 2008 according to SI.com.

Season tickets between the 20-yard lines (sections 115-124 and 322-330) now will be priced at $83, other sideline seats (sections 109-114, 125-130, 314-320 and 332-33 will be $73 and end-zone seats (sections 100-108, 131-138, 303-312 and 340-354) will cost $67. Payment is due in the Packers' ticket office March 31.

Comparatively speaking around the NFC North for the 2009 season, the best sideline seat for the Vikings was $117, the Bears $108, and the Lions $90.

Lambeau Field suite tickets in 2010 will be $83, also an increase of $11. Lease rates for suites and club seat ticket prices are set per client contracts.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Are Green Bay fans entitled to 25% of the games that Milwaukee Brewers season ticket holders get? The comparison is a bad one. There is no "Green Bay" ticket package for Brewer games. I am a season ticket holder. I get to go to 6 games instead of 8. I pay the sales tax....I paid the license fee for my tickets when they renovated the stadium. Its ridiculous. Do you really think that the Packers need the Gold Package ticket holders to sell out home games? Not at all. Its not necessary at all. If you want the tickets.....pay your fair share.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Voice your displeasure at a Shareholders meeting then.

I will again advance that your city benefits from games NOT being played in Milwaukee. The revenue generated by these three games gained from a decades long tradition far exceeds any half percent of one penny per dollar you would get with a tax referendum.

Silly argument anyway. It's not going to change.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Voice your displeasure at a Shareholders meeting then.

I will again advance that your city benefits from games NOT being played in Milwaukee. The revenue generated by these three games gained from a decades long tradition far exceeds any half percent of one penny per dollar you would get with a tax referendum.

Silly argument anyway. It's not going to change.

People voice their displeasure about this at the shareholders meeting every year. The Packers are a strong enough franchise now, and have been for the last 20 years, that they DON'T need to play in Milwaukee, and DON'T need the Gold Package. The hotels and restaurants in Green Bay are filled every weekend whether its a Milwaukee game or not.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People voice their displeasure about this at the shareholders meeting every year. The Packers are a strong enough franchise now, and have been for the last 20 years, that they DON'T need to play in Milwaukee, and DON'T need the Gold Package. The hotels and restaurants in Green Bay are filled every weekend whether its a Milwaukee game or not.

So you toss the fanbase to the curbside that sustained you for years? I don't think any sound, successful business does that EVER.

I am laughing as you seem to think biting the hand that feeds you is ethical and morally correct.

and again, the ONLY reason games aren't STILL played in Milwaukee is because we don't have the venue.

Not going to comment on this further as you are entrenched in your opinion.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
So you toss the fanbase to the curbside that sustained you for years? I don't think any sound, successful business does that EVER.

I am laughing as you seem to think biting the hand that feeds you is ethical and morally correct.

and again, the ONLY reason games aren't STILL played in Milwaukee is because we don't have the venue.

Not going to comment on this further as you are entrenched in your opinion.

Did ya have the venue in 1995 when we stopped playing in Milwaukee? Or was County Stadium still there then?

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
The Packers are and always be a STATE team located in Green Bay. Twice in the history of the franchise they were bailed out of tough economic times by folks around the state, particularly in Milwaukee. No, the Packers don't NEED to do a lot of things, but offereing 2 tickets per year to the Milwaukee fans is the showing respect to that important part of the fan base and is simply the right thing to do. That said, Green Bay could NOT sustain a team on their own, they need the backing of a base well beyond what is available in Brown County. Sure, they'd probably still sell out the stadium but they'd be killing their revenue base for things beyond what they get at the gate and these days that is a small piece of the pie.

I was all for taking the games out of Milwaukee for 2 reasons. 1 - County Stadium sucked for football and 2 - no reason the home team should ever have to travel ANYWHERE for a game - it was a competative disadvantage to the Packers. That said, the Packers are doing the right thing offering tickets to the Milwaukee folks and I am glad they do it. I couldn't care less that my family gets 2 less games per year.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I'd love to see a preseason game in Miller Park.

I don't even know if a football field would fit in it, but that would be pretty damn cool.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess. It wouldn't fit. the configuration of the field and seats is specifically for baseball.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Jess. It wouldn't fit. the configuration of the field and seats is specifically for baseball.
I kind of thought that. Thanks for the confirmation, though.

I know they have a bowl game in Tropicana Field (the home of the Tampa Bay Rays), so that's why I wasn't really sure.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I kind of thought that. Thanks for the confirmation, though.

I know they have a bowl game in Tropicana Field (the home of the Tampa Bay Rays), so that's why I wasn't really sure.
F it - it's only preseason... Make the field 50 yards and make them cover it twice. Make beer $0.25 a cup - it would be a blast... LOL

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. I resent giving up tickets and I hate not begin at Lambeau for the games. Perhaps I'm outspoken on this issue, but thats they way I feel. Maybe I'm stupid, but it makes me sick that someone else is sitting in the seats that have been in my dad's family since the 60's while we're sitting at home. I know that the tickets are technically property of the Green Bay Packers, but the season tickets are the only thing that my family passes down generation to generation, and I'm pretty sentimental about it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Compromise: What if they did that Family Night thing at Miller Park? That would be pretty cool.

I just think it would be cool to see them play a game somewhere else for once. Not a game that counts, but Family Night or a preseason game or something like that.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Respectfully disagree. I resent giving up tickets and I hate not begin at Lambeau for the games. .
Think about it this way if it makes it any easier.

If it wasn't for the folks in Milwaukee bailing the Packers out when they needed there very well may not be a Green Bay Packers and you'd have zero tickets instead of 6.

Also, when the games were in Milwaukee they played 3 regular season games there. So the tickets your family has increased by one game a year when they pulled out of Milwaukee and gave that crew 2 games at Lambeau.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
forget trying, Clay's JS. He's gonna whine and moan :ranting:about his two tickets that his parents probably pay for anyway.

nevermind that some Milwaukee residents have held tickets for just as long, if not longer.

Seriously, Allouez. Take your own "advice" and relaxe (sic):Cheeky:

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
forget trying, Clay's JS. He's gonna whine and moan :ranting:about his two tickets that his parents probably pay for anyway.

nevermind that some Milwaukee residents have held tickets for just as long, if not longer.

If my memory serves me correctly a few Milwaukee companies (especially Miller Brewing) saved the Packers' *** with big money contributions when they were on the verge of bankruptcy in the '50s.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

My parents don't pay for them. My mother is in a nursing home, and my father died a year and a half ago. I'm 26 and I pay for them myself. I bought them from my dad when he got cancer and couldn't go to the games anymore. Thank you, I'm completely relaxed.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score

That comment offended me greatly. I didn't attack you at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts