Raiding da Raiders: A player that may be of use besides Moss

Reaction score
We've heard of WR Moss and TE Courtney Alexander as possible players coming to Green Bay

I'd like to shift the focus to RB Justin Fargas. For the purpose of making things simple, let's say he can be either acquired with Randy, or on his own for draft picks and or player(s).

He is 6'1", 220 LBS, and a 4 year veteran who is 27 years old. Still got a good few miles left on him. He ran for 659 yards last season as a spot starter (starting 6 games) + backup RB in the other 10. 3.7 YPA last year.

With the recent addition of Dominic Rhodes, and LaMont Jordan coming back for another year, Fargas may be the odd man out. If the Raiders are willing to give him away at the right price, should the Packers trade for him?

He could be a Droughens type back where he hasn't put up the best stats for most of his career, but a move to a ZB run scheme might lead him to having a break out year. Would solve our RB need.

BTW - celticraider and RP, can you tell us what you've seen of Fargas thus far, and if you think he has the skills to develop into a #1 RB? Thanks!

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
According to his bio on Raiders.com (take with a grain of salt):

- Speedy young RB
- Also ran track in highschool, posting a 100 Meter time of 10.47
- Began his college career at the University of Michigan before transferring to Southern California for final season
- Gained 1,077 yards with eight touchdowns on 257 carries (4.2 avg.) during three years of college football
- During his freshman year at Michigan, he played the final seven games as a DB. Shows he is quite athletic

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Raiding da Raiders: A player that may be of use besides

Fargas can fly. He is one of the fastest players on one of the NFL's fastest teams. From a speed perspective he is probably one of the top 5 running backs in the entire league. He is very tough and runs very hard. He smacks it right up into the hole and has no fear of getting hit. He runs with power and looks to punish defenses.

Because of that style, he tends to get banged up quite a bit. He isn't very elusive which drives you crazy because he is very agile. He sees a tackler and just tries to truck him. He isn't very patient to the hole, but if he gets a lane, forget it he is gone. Sometimes he has issues protecting the ball, and he lacks good vision.

I would say he could be a 1,000 yard back in a ZBS and a true home run threat, but his best role is as a change of pace guy.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
Thanks celtic!

In your opinion, will the Raiders look to trade him / cut him? What type of draft pick(s) could he be had for?
He is cheap and rugged. Really hard nosed guy that gives it everything he got. I think if a Raider RB becomes available, its Lamont Jordan. I can't see Fargas value being more than a day 2 pick via trade. Given that scenario, his salary, and his effort level, I would imagine they would rather keep him.

Jordan is expensive and has been inconsistent at best.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Thanks celtic!

In your opinion, will the Raiders look to trade him / cut him? What type of draft pick(s) could he be had for?
He is cheap and rugged. Really hard nosed guy that gives it everything he got. I think if a Raider RB becomes available, its Lamont Jordan. I can't see Fargas value being more than a day 2 pick via trade. Given that scenario, his salary, and his effort level, I would imagine they would rather keep him.

Celtic-
Didn't they just pay out a reduced roster bonus early this month to Jordan... from like 5 million to like 3 million. That would make it cap unfriendly to deal him or cut him now. Or did I miss read that information?

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

celticraider said:
Thanks celtic!

Celtic-
Didn't they just pay out a reduced roster bonus early this month to Jordan... from like 5 million to like 3 million. That would make it cap unfriendly to deal him or cut him now. Or did I miss read that information?

Jordan took a 1.5 million dollar pay cut. He had a 4.5 million dollar roster bonus, and agreed to reduce it to 3 million so the Raiders wouldn't cut him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts