Raiders Sign QB Jeff George

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Oakland Raiders signed Jeff George to a contract, bringing back a player who hasn't thrown an NFL pass in five seasons.

George, the No. 1 overall pick by Indianapolis in 1990, joined the team in time for Aug. 28's afternoon practice. He previously played for the Raiders in 1997-98, starting 23 games and throwing 33 touchdowns and 14 interceptions.

It is not immediately clear what his role will be on the Raiders, who already have Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter and Marques Tuiasosopo on the roster.

George played with the Colts from 1990-93. He was in Atlanta from 1994-96, then spent two seasons with Oakland and one with Minnesota before joining the Redskins in 2000, first as a backup. He was signed by Seattle as insurance midway through the 2002 season, but didn't play. Chicago signed him late in the 2004 season, but he never played for the Bears either.

George, known for his strong arm and clashes with coaches, has a 46-78 career record as a starter and has never lasted longer than four years with any one of them.

George hasn't played since 2001, when he was cut after two games with the Redskins. In his last two games with Washington, George had a quarterback rating of 34.6, completing 23 of 42 passes with three interceptions.

In his next-to-last game with Washington, he and coach Marty Schottenheimer had an animated sideline discussion after George committed four turnovers and was removed from the game.

George also had a sideline argument with coach June Jones when he was with the Atlanta Falcons in 1996, and the team suspended him and then cut him.

George played well his first season in Oakland, throwing for 3,917 yards and 29 touchdowns in 1997. He struggled with injuries the following season, starting only seven games, and was replaced the following season by Rich Gannon, who was a better fit in coach Jon Gruden's West Coast offense.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is this for real??? I can't see WHY they would bring back a so so QB that never really did anything.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd ever want a QB on my team that uttered the words "I am God's gift to football"

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I don't know about you guys, but I don't think I'd ever want a QB on my team that uttered the words "I am God's gift to football"

It wouldn't be so bad, IF he had ever DONE anything! It's not bragging IF you can back it up. And George couldn't!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jeff still has a rifle.

He has been throwing with former high school and college buddy's for the last five years. If that is not proof that he still has it, and can take the Raidah's ti the Superbowl then I do not know what is?

This is a movie waiting to happen, forgeabout "Invincible"

This is the greatest signing in the last 5 years.

I love this move.

Jeeese... Once again the Raidah's take the road less traveled.

A BRILLIANT MOVE!

R.P.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's time for someone to take Al's little toy away from him.

Give him a drool cup and a corner luxury box, but for the sake of the once proud franchise take control of that team away from him.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
George got cut!
Here is the morning conversation between Al Davis and one of his "yes men"

YM: Mr. Davis, Jeff Gorge is here to see you.
AD: Jeff George??? Why is HE here???
YM: Uh.......you signed him.
AD: I did WHAT!?!?
YM: You signed him sir!
AD: Oh geez.........what year is this?
YM: 2006 sir.
AD: Oh man......I thought it was 1990!
YM: Sorry sir.........was there someone you wanted to sign instead of Jeff George?
AD: Yeah..........see if that kid Todd Marinovich is available! I think he's gonna be in the Hall of Fame someday!
YM: (It's gonna be a LONG day!)
AD: Huh??? Did you say something????
YM: No,........Sir.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
roflmao, cheesey!!

imo, the only thing good about him getting signed is he WON'T be doing commentary for the NFL - can anyone say joe theismann, jr??? gag me!!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
roflmao, cheesey!!

imo, the only thing good about him getting signed is he WON'T be doing commentary for the NFL - can anyone say joe theismann, jr??? gag me!!

Seriously 4pack.....the Raiders cut Jeff George! So he's back out looking for a job!

Members online

Latest posts