Raiders release TE Courtney Anderson

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I know everyone will say, .."Why do you want to pick up another team's castoff?" I'm only interested in him because, if you recall, his name was brought up as an extra player in the Moss trade talks. The Packers may have had genuine interest in him then. We darn sure could use another TE who is arguably better than any with us now. The Raiders are now loaded at TE with the draft, thus his availability. I believe it's worth a shot. Fire away!!

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anderson is actually a pretty good pass-catcher down the middle.

Depends. Bubba Franks used to be good, and Donald Lee has always made strides but none of them are consistent.

Tory Humphrey could be a dark horse and Zac Alcorn supposedly has "the best hands on the team" right now.

Is there room?

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Anderson, the Packers have stated that they are entirely comfortable with the talent they currently have at the TE position.

But that doesn't mean they are done adding quality FA talent to their roster. This from JSOnline:

The Packers signed Swedish native C.J. Blomvall, a two-year veteran of NFL Europa and a former Temple University center. Blomvall is 27.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just because he was released doesn't mean he can't play. like grandpa said, the raiders are deep at TE and they need all the cap space they can get to sign Jamarcus Russel.

Reaction score
Zac Alcorn supposedly has "the best hands on the team" right now.

Is there room?

I think McCarthy accidently revealed that Zac Alcron hasn't done too much to impress this off-season, what with being injured and all.

McCarthy was talking about the TE group over all, and before he got to Alcron he mentioned:

- Lee had a great off-season
- Franks had a off-season that made McCarthy happy; Franks is in much better shape than this time last year
- Humphrey had an excellent off-season

When McCarthy got to Alcorn, he hesitated for a second and just said "Alcorn probably has the best hands on the team". There was nothing about Alcorn's positive off-season, maybe because he has been injured and very limited this off-season.

An experienced pass-catching TE to compete with Lee and Franks for the starting job wouldn't hurt IMO.

I hope TT at least explores the possibility of signing him.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately for Anderson, the Packers have stated that they are entirely comfortable with the talent they currently have at the TE position.

But that doesn't mean they are done adding quality FA talent to their roster. This from JSOnline:

The Packers signed Swedish native C.J. Blomvall, a two-year veteran of NFL Europa and a former Temple University center. Blomvall is 27.

If this bans me, whatever I guess...why do you always have to be such a *****? If the Packers aren't doing enough to satisfy you, pick another team...there's 31 of them out there.

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harvey Fialkov, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins have claimed free-agent TE Courtney Anderson (Raiders) off waivers from the Oakland Raiders.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm surely going to be blasted into watery ****** juice for this, but I think we will have a decent TE duo between Donald Lee and Bubba Franks. I truly expect Franks to bounce back IF he is used as a TE more instead of a safety net for the OL. If Franks is used as the pacifier for the OL again this year, I expect more of the same from our TE group.

I say the more involved Franks is in the passing game as a receiver the better he and Lee will be.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:

If this bans me, whatever I guess...why do you always have to be such a *****? If the Packers aren't doing enough to satisfy you, pick another team...there's 31 of them out there.

Although in some cases I'll admit that I do post something in order to spur debate (from those who tend to look at the team only through Green & Gold glasses), I always preface those by stating them as an opinion. But in this case it looks like it might be time for a chill pill ND, I guess I fail to see anything in my post that isn't factual. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As to my preference for teams, if it's alright with you I think I'll stay with the team I've followed for over 50-years. I've found I can do so with my eyes open, and without having to call other people names. And I'd be willing to bet that I'm like the majority of Packer fans in that they satisfy me when they win more football games than they lose.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
Lare said:

Although in some cases I'll admit that I do post something in order to spur debate (from those who tend to look at the team only through Green & Gold glasses), I always preface those by stating them as an opinion. But in this case it looks like it might be time for a chill pill ND, I guess I fail to see anything in my post that isn't factual. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As to my preference for teams, if it's alright with you I think I'll stay with the team I've followed for over 50-years. I've found I can do so with my eyes open, and without having to call other people names. And I'd be willing to bet that I'm like the majority of Packer fans in that they satisfy me when they win more football games than they lose.

I'm sure you feel the Swedish center is a quality FA pickup. By the way, in your previous post, I would say that instead of "some" cases, you could re-phrase and say "many" cases. Anyway, I'll take a chill pill when it's warranted and this time it's not, thanks anyway. I would tend to bet that the Packers could have a 13-3 Super Bowl winning season and you'd find some **** to complain about. By the way, I don't have Green and Gold glasses on as I find faults with this team...I just don't post one sarcastic post after another degrading the very team I cheer for.

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from ND, but I'd like to say that I don't think Lare is like the previous TT bashers we've had.

Yes, Lare doesn't like the job Ted is doing (which is his right), but the stuff he posts is usually a quality read that isn't just flaming. He actually points out some valid concerns and criticisms.

As for Lare's one-liners and sarcastic posts, I'm sure he does it more in a 'tongue-in-cheek' manner. I get a bit of laugh out of his sarcasm, and he is by far one of the best anti-TT posters that we've had.

He isn't trying to annoy anyone by constantly having a negative attitude, instead he's choosing to express his displeasure through humour. Makes for much easier reading than posts that outright (and repetitively) say "TT sucks".

I'm sure once the season starts, Lare will be in to talking about the Packers performance on field more than posting about TT. :)

OP
OP
R

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that we've lost a TE due to injury, perhaps TT MAY just see some necessity to finding us another. Unfortunately, what may be available now is less talent than it was before and less than we have now. Way too little and way way too late.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

I have to agree with Lare and say that according to performance to date and tendancies, that TT will ride the improve within method until he is backed into a corner in this TC. I just hope he doesn't wait to long if depth or even a starter doesn't emerge early in training camp at RB or TE.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be in the minority, but I feel that TE is the least of our worries on offense(save QB). We need to get consistent production from our running back corps, and a #3 and #4 receiver to emerge. If these two things happen, combined with the growth and maturity of our offensive line. The TE group will be better by default.

Last year they were asked to block much more than in previous years and also were learning a new blocking scheme. This year should be better.

I am not saying that I would not like a Gonzales, Gates, etc. But many teams have been successful with equal or lesser talent than we have at TE.

Members online

Latest posts