1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Raider Pride

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Ryan, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Packerforum name: Raider Pride

Real name (first only): Rick

Current City: Pompano Beach, Florida

Hometown: Vancouver, B.C. Canada

Corporate Trainer/Speaker. To clarify I speak to employees and management on Success, Motivation, Time Management, and Sales Development. I am an independent contractor and not part of what some people consider the evil corporate world. Most of the companies I speak to are in the Real Estate, Mortgage, Resorts Time Share, Multi Level Marketing and Auto Industry. I love this country and als train the U.S.M.C. and U.S. Army recruiters for free and do not get paid for it.

1) How did you choose your screen name?

I never really chose one for this forum. Perhaps I should have, because this name gives me grief from time to time with new members here. I just used the name I have always used on other forums. Besides "Raider Pride." has been pretty much an oxymoron for years.

2) Could you tell us a little about where you grew up and about your family?

I was born in Seattle, Washington. My father was in the U.S. Navy and met my mother while on leave in Vancouver, B.C. Canada. I do not know him. When I was one year of age he jumped on a ship and never returned. I grew up in Canada in the Fraser Valley of B.C. and was raised by my Aunt and Uncle. My Mother re-married and I have 5 brothers and sisters. I can not call them half brothers and sisters that seems silly to me so they are just brothers and sisters.

I have two grown children both are doing well. Joanne passed away from stomach cancer. I now have a wonderful lady in my life and a wonderful step daughter and son in law.

3) Did you play in any sports or where you involved with any High School clubs and such?

Yes, you bet. Every day. If it was not on a school team it was after school in the park or street hockey in a lacrosse box. I played Golf, Soccer and Basketball in High School. I was was an average to below average athlete. I had to work very hard at it. Clubs? I was the president of the "Let's Skip Class Club."

4) What is your fondest memory of your teenage years?

There were a million of them. The weekend house parties, My first car, my first girlfriend, the weekend road trips, the fights. I know that sounds silly but those were the days when fighting was one on one, there were no guns or knives, and after the fight you would all have beers together.

5) What was your first job?

I was still in high school grade 11 (The last year I completed.) After school I would go to a slaughter house and shovel blood and guts from 6:30 PM until 11: PM.

6) What lead to your dedicated following of the Packers?

Dale Carnegie made me a Packer Fan. I know, sounds stupid. I was a Raider Fan as a kid (I still am of course that does not go away.) but then when I was 17 my uncle gave me a book and made me read it. It was Dale Carnegie's classic: "How To Win Friends And influence People" As soon as I read it I fell in love with personal development and started to read everything I could on it. That led me to Vince Lombardi. I like to think Dale Carnegie introduced me to Vince Lombardi. I have been a Packer/Raider fan ever since.

7) Could you tell us one of your favorite memories of the Packers?

Brett's game against the Raiders after his Father passed away. That was as good to me as the Superbowl win. I was so very proud of Brett. I also very proud of the Raider Fans and how they kept giving him standing ovations. For Raider Pride... It was perfect.

8 ) How did you find the Packerforum and what keeps you active on the site?

I was a member of the old N.C. Form. I wish I could remember who it was but someone left a trail of crumbs to this site once it was shut down. What keeps me active is the management of this forum. It is well run, the mods do a great job. The best forum I have ever been a part of.

9) What other sports teams do you follow?

Vancouver Canucks Hockey, Los Angeles Angels Baseball, UCLA Basketball, Notre Dame Football

10) When you’re not on Packerforum what could you likely be found doing with your spare time?

Fishing, camping and being in the bush. I swear there is nothing better than being beside a fire in the middle of no where under a million stars. I am also history buff. You will find me at a museum, on a Civil War Battlefield, or in a Grave Yard. I know the grave yard thing sounds kind of sick, but it is so interesting. When ever I am in a city I do a search in findagrave.com and find famous graves and visit them. I have sat beside Billy The Kid and drank whiskey with him while reading about him in a book, I also had a shot with Doc Holliday, well at least close to him as his exact resting place in the grave yard is unknown. I always look up the location of a local grave site of a Congressional Medal Of Honor winner and take the time to place an American Flag on it.

11) If you could have one moment being part of the Packer organization, what would it be?

I would choose to be in the war room on draft day. That would be so cool.

12) How many trips have you made to Lambeau?

Twice but not for a game yet. I have done the tour and visited all the spots. I was there for Family Day last year which was very cool.

13) What is your worst fear?

Heights. I am terrified. I get ill and my knees will not work. For example when I visited Lambeau and was on the second level I really wanted to look over the railing from the second level of the atrium. I could not get within 10 feet of it. The weird thing is flying does not bother me? I can not figure that out?

14) What type of hobbies do you enjoy?

Golf and Reading. I collect blank golf course score cards. I have them from all over the world. If any of you can send me one from your local golf courses I would be forever in debt. I read a great deal by reading just 20 minutes a night. Brian Tracy a great teacher and speaker taught me that many years ago. "He said Rick read 20 minutes a night every night before you go to sleep." Do you know that if you read 20 minutes a night you will finish a book on average once every two weeks? There are 52 weeks a year... So that means 20 minutes a night equals 26 books a year. What ever you do, ask your self how much better you would be at it if you just read 20 minutes a night on what you do.

15) What’s your favorite food?

I love seafood I could eat it every night. However, my favorite food depends on where I am. I must say there is nothing like BBQ in Memphis, it just tastes better there. In Texas you have to love a steak. In New Orleans there is nothing better than a Crawfish dinner poured out on newspaper with no plates, forks or knives. In Boston Clam Clam Chowder in a small little bar during a Red Sox Game.

16) Where are some of the places you’ve been, and where are some of your favorites.

Almost everywhere in North America including Alaska and Hawaii. Mexico and New Zealand.

17) What is one thing you've always wanted to do, but haven't done yet in your lifetime?

Attend The Kentucky Derby.

18) If you could live anywhere where would it be?

I am living there. All over this great country. I spend 42 weeks a year all over this country, generally 6 week cycles in one region. I rent a furnished apartment usually from Oakwood Corp. Housing and it has all of the amenities of home. When I am not in the U.S. I am home in B.C. one of the most beautiful regions in the world, which also has the best fishing in the world.

19) Name your favorite 5 Packers all time and explain the reason for one of them.

Vince Lombardi, Brett farve, Ray Nitschke, James Lofton, and Ted Thompson. Smile I am not going to explain why I like T.T. it will cause a war.

20) Up to this date, what is one of your favorite Packerforum memories?

There have been many. But the most memorable was my worst Packer Forum memory. That was when I was messing around with the forum and accidentally "IGNORED MYSELF." I could not figure out how to Un-Ignore myself so finally I had to bite the bullet and ask how on the forum. I took a serious ribbing from many of you.

Who would you like to nominate to be interviewed next?

I would Like to nominate Trom... But I am not sure if he would be serious.
    So I choose Arrow.

2. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Great read.

Let me know where to send those scorecards. It's right around the corner.

3. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    RP - Let's definitely hook up when you come around the S.F. area.

Love history. Love this country. Love the outdoors. And of course, love the Packers, especially Brett Favre and James Lofton. the cemetery thing isn't too weird. A lot of history in cemeteries.

4. gopackgo

gopackgo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with being in the "war room". All the trade talk, who to pick, see what everyone's opinion is, that would be very cool to see.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    Nice Read RP :)

6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Excellent read there RP.. I figured it would be. 20 minutes a night, I read probably at least that on the tech forums, lol.

Drop me a PM for an addy on the scorecards.. between myself and my father in law we will send you a good number of different courses.. especially the father in law.. retired so he golfs all over the states.

Want a visitor for a little fishing in BC? :)

7. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Bump..

One other question... compare a steak in Omaha to Texas, which one do you choose?

8. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeeeeaaah, RP is a ladies man. Niiiiice.

I totally just got shafted.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Good read RP!
    I like to visit graveyards too. It's a neat way to view history.

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    my dad tells me stories about working at the slaughterhouse. they are not pleasant!

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    So RP is every bit as interesting as I thought he would be. I enjoyed the interview. It's a nice idea, Ryan, especially for the off-season.

12. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    RP awesome stuff man!!

13. vikesrule

vikesrule Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good to know some more about ya RP!!

Great stuff

14. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Good stuff RP!!

15. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great read, RP! These things were a great idea!