1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Race Card 101

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by FrankRizzo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Today's Episode of "The Race Card" is brought to you by the United Negro College Fund, where a (black) mind is a terrible thing to waste.

(CNN) -- A Chicago, Illinois, couple, their real estate agent and a real estate broker face charges of violating the federal Fair Housing Act for refusing to sell a $1.8 million home to black radio personality and comedian George Willborn, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development said.

The five-bedroom, 8,000-square-foot home was listed for $1.799 million by owners Daniel and Adrienne Sabbia and their real estate agent, Jeffrey Lowe, the housing agency said in a statement Tuesday.
    The charge alleges the Sabbias and Lowe stalled negotiations and took the property off the market after receiving a $1.7 million offer from Willborn and his wife, Peytyn -- the highest offer the Sabbias had received in the two years the property was listed, according to HUD.

The Sabbias accepted the offer, but refused to sign the sales contract, according to the HUD complaint. Six days after the offer was accepted, the Willborns' agent asked about the issue, and Lowe told her that the "'reality" of selling the house was 'just hitting'" Adrienne Sabbia, the complaint said. The woman said she didn't believe that, since the house had been listed for two years, according to the complaint.
    Lowe sent the agent a text message the following day saying he did not believe it was about race, and believed it to be a "seller vs. seller issue not a seller vs. buyer issue."

But the next day, Lowe told the Willborns' agent that the Sabbias were not signing the sales contract and taking the home off the market.
    "Respondent Lowe gave complainants various reasons for why the Sabbias had decided not to sell," the complaint said, including that Adrienne Sabbia had changed her mind, that the Sabbias could not find another home, and they wanted to keep their children in their current schools.

The Sabbias told HUD investigators they refused to sign the sales contract because Adrienne Sabbia wanted the full asking price for the home.
    Conrad Duncker, named as the Sabbias' attorney by the Chicago Sun-Times, did not return a call from CNN seeking comment Wednesday.

The Willborns filed an initial HUD complaint in January, amending it in March and July. The couple learned that the Willborns had filed a HUD complaint on January 29, the complaint said, and a few days later told Lowe to offer the Willborns the opportunity to buy the home with all its furnishings for $1.799 million.

"When the Willborns learned that the Sabbias only offered to sell the subject property to them after receipt of the HUD complaint, they canceled a scheduled showing and declined the offer," according to the complaint.
    Lowe told investigators that while he was representing the Sabbias, Daniel Sabbia told him he would prefer not to sell the home to an African-American, but added "if it was for the right price he did not care who bought the house," the complaint said.

However, the agency "has determined that reasonable cause exists to believe that a discriminatory housing practice has occurred in this case based on race and has authorized and directed the issuance of this charge of discrimination," according to the complaint.

The charge will be heard by an administrative law judge unless a party elects to have it heard in federal district court, HUD said. If the judge finds discrimination occurred, damages may be awarded and fines may be levied. Punitive damages can also be awarded if the case is heard in district court.
    Besides the Sabbias, the Lowe Group Chicago Inc. and real estate broker Prudential Rubloff Properties are also named in the complaint.

"Racial fairness is important at all income levels. Civil rights enforcement must be the effective shield against housing discrimination that in this case wealth was not," stated John Trasvina, HUD assistant secretary for fair housing and equal opportunity.
    Willborn is a radio personality who co-hosts the syndicated "Michael Baisden Show." He also has appeared as a comedian on television and in films, the complaint said.

CNN's attempts to reach Willborn were unsuccessful.
    "I think it's unfortunate, sad and disgusting," Willborn told the Chicago Sun-Times. "It jolts you to your core beliefs. . . . No one has the right to dictate the American dream."

"Complainants George and Peytyn Willborn have suffered emotional distress due to respondents' discriminatory acts," the complaint says. Willborn has indicated he is less trusting of people and their actions, and "he feels respondents have denied him the American dream he worked so hard to attain. They are surprised that something like this could happen in the year 2010."

The Willborns' children "were disappointed at the loss of certain features of the house, and ... felt fear because of how they might be treated because of race," the complaint said. "The Willborns' daughter felt hurt and angry and now worries that if this happened to her parents that it may happen to her one day in her own search for housing as an adult."

2. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    I dont get it, Mr Limbaugh...
    The seller said he would prefer to not sell to an african-american.....Which is pretty ******

Then the whole bolded header, with the clever (BLACK) ...

Then a black man (DD) in your sig...

I dont understand the point....

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That's a false accusation that the seller said he'd prefer not to sell to an AA. That's bogus. That's the whole basis of this BS.

I sold my last house to an A-A and I'm not a big fan of most of their lifestyles. But when you are selling, and moving, you simply take the best offer, if you are selling. The fact that these sellers decided not to sell after all, they are staying......

We had our house here on the market for 6 months this year. No offers. We decided to stay.

It's not as if the seller in the story had 2 offers with the A-A's being the highest, and they chose to sell to the E-A for less money. They simply are staying put in their house. There's no racism there.

4. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    I didnt get it either.

5. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    Well, if they're able to buy a house, especially one thats listed over 100K, I'd say their lifestyle is pretty decent...
    Unless they're selling a lot of crack and rap cd's...right?

6. bad93ex

bad93ex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Well it did happen in Crook County right?

7. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,803
    I'm not one to judge weather or not this is a racial issue.
    The only ones who know for sure would be the sellers.
    I guess it will be up to a judge now.
    However it isn't right for someone to be accused of racism when it isn't there in the first place and this could be one of those times. That's could be.

8. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Maybe the sellers simply didn't like the buyers and didn't want them to own their home. You can dislike people of the opposite race, but it is unjustified to dislike them just because they're the opposite race. If it turns out they refused to sell simply because the buyers were black, they deserve a ticket straight to hell.

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    In law school these subjects were intensely debated.

You want to protect the right, protect the person's integrity. On the other hand, you definitely don't want to give people "unfair advantages".

Like JBlood said, if it was indeed due to race, the sellers deserve hell. But the buyers can't act like jerks and get away accusing the sellers of racism.

10. Murgen

Murgen MechaPackzilla

Ratings:
    +585
    If your selling a house who the hell cares who you sell to since your moving out of there anyway. As long as the moneys good I'll sell my house to the super racist group memebers of the NAACP or KKK.

Sounds like the buyers should have just bought the house through their lawyer if they are that sensitive about race issues.