Ra’Shede Hageman

D

Deleted member 6794

Further, Peppers may be a band-aid, but his contract is structured as a 2-year band-aid...he has a $5 million dead cap number in 2015.

Even with Peppers counting $5 million in dead money against the cap in 2015 I would be surprised if he's back as he would count $12 million against it while being on the roster.

H

HardRightEdge

Even with Peppers counting $5 million in dead money against the cap in 2015 I would be surprised if he's back as he would count $12 million against it while being on the roster.
If it were a GM other than Ted Thompson I might agree with you. If Peppers plays in 2014 up to the level of 2013, which is not a particularly high bar, and he does not get hurt, he'll be back. Thompson hates dead cap.

D

Deleted member 6794

If it were a GM other than Ted Thompson I might agree with you. If Peppers plays in 2014 up to the level of 2013, which is not a particularly high bar, and he does not get hurt, he'll be back. Thompson hates dead cap.

I agree 100% that TT hates dead money counting against the cap. But I really have a hard time seeing Peppers coming back at age 35 for a $12 million cap hit. There 's always the possibility of restructuring the contract though.

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition maybe TT looks at it like a one-year, $8.5 million deal as it actually doesn't make any difference if he would count that much against the cap this year or $3.5M this year and $5M in dead money next year.

Either way, I would be furious if they let Nelson or Cobb walk away because they didn't want to have dead money counting against their cap and because of it gave up $7 million of cap space.

H

HardRightEdge

In addition maybe TT looks at it like a one-year, $8.5 million deal as it actually doesn't make any difference if he would count that much against the cap this year or $3.5M this year and $5M in dead money next year.

Either way, I would be furious if they let Nelson or Cobb walk away because they didn't want to have dead money counting against their cap and because of it gave up $7 million of cap space.
I'm reminded of Hawk's dreadful 2011 season after which he should have been cut or renegotiated. The dead cap was too large to give Thompson any leverage in renegotiation so he was stuck with the player and the contract. Burnett is in a similar situation today...not only do we have to pay him, we have to play him with optimism that he'll snap back.

Taking a $7 mil cap hit in 2015 with the expectation that we'll have the 2013 version of Peppers for one more season is within the bounds of reason. You also need to consider the cost of replacement. That's why the deal is structured the way it is to the players benefit.

If Thompson drafts Hageman or a somewhat lesser light in the second round who fits the 5 tech / 3 tech "length" profile, I will admit to having misread the situation. But it seems to me that with the signing of Peppers that ship has sailed for this draft.

Besides, you should look at some of Hageman's tape on youtube or nfldraftscount.com. As I noted earlier, the guy plays high in his stance and has a habit of standing up at the snap. That might be fixable. Or maybe he needs to do that for visibility given some peculiarity in his build. There's a big risk here that he's more athlete than football player. Or perhaps he's really a standup player by nature pumped up to play the line; we already made that mistake once with Neal.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Besides, you should look at some of Hageman's tape on youtube or nfldraftscount.com. As I noted earlier, the guy plays high in his stance and has a habit of standing up at the snap. That might be fixable. Or maybe he needs to do that for visibility given some peculiarity in his build. There's a big risk here that he's more athlete than football player or he's really a standup player by nature pumped up to play the line, and we already made that mistake once with Neal.

I totally agree with you that the Packers shouldn't draft Hageman.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO Hageman! This guy plays on "roller skates". Let the sea-chickens get suckered into drafting him.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree that he shouldn't be our first round pick but he's a guy with enough potential that I could see using a late second rounder on him.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He won't be there at the end of the secound round though.

Eh, then I wouldn't draft him. I mean, if we trade back from 21 and have an early secod rounder and mid-second rounder (somehow) then I'd be ok taking him around the middle of round two. The guy has the athletic potential of JJ Watt but the bust potential of Vernon Gholston.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yeah. I don't know why people cant let this go. He looks great in the uniform but if you watch his film all the excitement goes away. He looks way to risky for 21. IF they reach for Trent Murphy in the second that will already be enough to digest.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eh, then I wouldn't draft him. I mean, if we trade back from 21 and have an early secod rounder and mid-second rounder (somehow) then I'd be ok taking him around the middle of round two. The guy has the athletic potential of JJ Watt but the bust potential of Vernon Gholston.

Actually I have no interest in him at all, no matter at which position the Packers end up picking.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts