R.I.P. Jethro Pugh

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be nice if they give a moment of silence to both Fuzzy and Jethro prior to the game this weekend. Both were instrumental to both franchises and played important roles in the one and only Ice Bowl. Pugh was a pretty good player on a bunch of good Dallas teams. Four SBs is nothing to sneeze at. Thanks for the memories Jethro.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...owboys-defensive-standout-jethro-pugh-dead-70

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jethro was kind of made the scapegoat in the ice bowl. Both Bowman and Kramer were hitting him. He really did not have much of a chance. And if you watch the replay; it looks like Chuck Howley (I think) was rushing hard from the defensive left side and if Starr had tried to hand off the ball; he might have made the tackle in the backfield.
Fuzzy was awesome! What a pulling guard for the Green Bay Packer power sweep.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
R.I.P. Jethro ... loved watching this guy play when I was a youngster.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, Fuzzy played no role in the Ice Bowl. Gale Gillingham had taken his job that season.

Unfortunately for Jethro, he will always be remembered for his role in that game. He had a long and productive career.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
How ironic is that?

The Packers had seen on film that Pugh came up too high out of his stance on the snap and realized they could get underneath him and cut him down on a QB sneak. Good prep work. Details, details, details.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How ironic is that?

The Packers had seen on film that Pugh came up too high out of his stance on the snap and realized they could get underneath him and cut him down on a QB sneak. Good prep work. Details, details, details.
True except the only two who knew it was going to be a sneak was Starr and Lombardi.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
“Run it and let’s get the hell out of here!”

Kramer has recounted how during film sessions before the game he pointed out how Pugh got too high in short yardage situations. Starr has said that was important because in short yardage, the rest of the Dallas DL would ‘submarine’ so the OL couldn’t get under their pads and drive block. They tried that wedge play aimed at Pugh previously in the game and it worked. Of course Lombardi knew that and when Starr suggested he could 'shuffle his feet' instead of risking a RB losing his footing, Lombardi said...

Members online

Latest posts