r-e-l-a-x (?)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always been in my signature. Every year Packers fans need assurances that the floor isn't dropping out. Kind of ridiculous IMO. I'll find the right quote eventually for 2016

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always been in my signature. Every year Packers fans need assurances that the floor isn't dropping out. Kind of ridiculous IMO. I'll find the right quote eventually for 2016

Pure curiosity - to what does the bolded part refer?

The reason many of us don't relax is expectations and level of disappointment. If Lombardis are the goal, the bottom has indeed dropped out many, many times.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game really showcased what Rodgers is dealing with ...Receivers struggle to get ANY separation on a consistent basis.
So how do you explain him missing wide open receivers, which he has done many, many times?

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and right there late in the 4th quarter, they had the chance to put in the dagger and go for another TD.
As always, McMuffin is playing to not lose instead of playing to win.
We will not get to another SB with that attitude.
Sure, we had the game in the bag by then but why the hell not run up the score????
MM is horrible. Look at the way the offense was shut down in the 2nd half of the Felions game.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'relax' stuff has gotten real old. This team has all kinds of issues, #1 being Rodgers decline, #1A being they have no deep passing game. Hey, nice to win the other night, but this isn't a team that will beat the league's better teams.
If AR says "relax" one more time, or I see him in another State Farm commercial, I'm gonna scream!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this game really showcased what Rodgers is dealing with ...Receivers struggle to get ANY separation on a consistent basis.

Really? I seem to remember a quite well covered Adams on a back shoulder for a TD, and the pass was off by about 3 feet. Lucky for him Adams saved his ***. Followed by a play where no one was covering Adams in the endzone, and Aaron decides to throw is 6k miles per hour and a foot behind him. Lucky Adams made the adjustment, was a stupid pass considering no one was near him.

Also, please don't get all your information from an announcer who is trying to prove a point.

Aaron is good, no doubt and I don't want to make it sound different. But he has been far from being himself the year, he use to be able to throw people open. Now there are many times that I think he makes it worse on his receivers.

Last edited:

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is where I disagree with most people. Yes, it was injury that forced our hand to change the offense, but I have never though MM is unimaginative, stupid, blind, or without a plan. He could have been considered stubborn, I prefer to call him committed, because he's smart enough and proven enough for me to choose my words carefully when talking about him.

But what we saw, I thought, was his commitment to making this team better, by making the offense evolve. For a few years now, when it comes to winning one on ones we've come up short. When we've needed to get a first down to close out a nfccg we couldn't. Teams that can rush well with 4 and clog up passing lanes like the giants did, bring the offense to a halt. We needed to be able to run different offenses effectively.

I think MM was forcing them to grow thru adversity. It's no different than anything else in life, if all you ever do is play C,G, and D you can play some good songs, maybe even be famous, but you'll never be Prince, Clapton, Emmanuel, SV or SRV. Not that MM wanted us to struggle, but he recognized we had areas of weakness that needed to be better to compete in January and Feb.

I think last years struggles were different than this years. We have new issues this year and new hurdles to clear. As bad as things were/are, simply having better execution of the plays we did run would have resulted in more offense and more wins.

Long story short, we have work to do, but I have faith in this team and the coaches

I have no faith in MM at all. Whenever GB gets a big lead, he ALWAYS, and mean ALWAYS, shuts down the offense...I absolutely hate it when coaches choose to take their foot off of the throat of their opponents, and this team has lost its fair share of game by doing so, and will probably lose more because of it...it cost GB a trip to the SB two years ago...

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really? I seem to remember a quite well covered Adams on a back shoulder for a TD, and the pass was off by about 3 feet. Lucky for him Adams saved his ***. Followed by a play were no one was covering Adams in the endzone, and Aaron decides to throw is 6k miles per hour and a foot behind him. Lucky Adams made the adjustment, was a stupid pass considering no one was near him.

Also, please don't get all your information from an announcer who is trying to prove a point.

Aaron is good, no doubt and I don't want to make it sound different. But he has been far from being himself the year, he use to be able to throw people open. Now there are many times that I think he makes it worse on his receivers.

Don't forget throwing the ball all the way to Milwaukee when Cobb busted open in the endzone the week before.

Now I won't say that the receivers are open all the time, and sometimes I gotta wonder why some of the silly play action calls we run are called when they are and don't make any sense. Those seem to be the main plays that WRs run simple routes that don't throw DBs off of them. But there's definitely been plenty of plays available where Rodgers has chucked it and missed open receivers by a mile.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget throwing the ball all the way to Milwaukee when Cobb busted open in the endzone the week before.

Now I won't say that the receivers are open all the time, and sometimes I gotta wonder why some of the silly play action calls we run are called when they are and don't make any sense. Those seem to be the main plays that WRs run simple routes that don't throw DBs off of them. But there's definitely been plenty of plays available where Rodgers has chucked it and missed open receivers by a mile.

Agreed, he just hasn't been the same. Very rarely now do I see a throw and go "Damn only Aaron can do that!".

I think he will work his way out of it. But I don't think playing the Bears and their 3rd string quarterback, and two undrafted corners was a real indication of him being back yet.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, he just hasn't been the same. Very rarely now do I see a throw and go "Damn only Aaron can do that!".

I think he will work his way out of it. But I don't think playing the Bears and their 3rd string quarterback, and two undrafted corners was a real indication of him being back yet.
Agreed, however, if he is ever going to "get back" he needs to build from games like this one. Unless we are thinking there is something physically wrong with him, it seems clear that his mental errors need success to build back his confidence or whatever it is his head needs to get "it" back.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pure curiosity - to what does the bolded part refer?
The quotes in my signature. Every season there is a new reason that fans freak out, and every year we do pretty good.

I know what you're thinking. Pretty good isn't good enough. You said that winning the Super Bowl is the goal. I agree. If we equate that to Lombardi's ageless quote about perfection not being attainable but catching excellence if we purse perfection. Most people outside of this organization seem to say that the Packers franchise has been excellent for the past 25 years. Individual years do vary but we have and continue to be an excellent franchise. I take the long view, so I get a chuckle out of all of the sky is falling opinions after the first six games this season.

Some of you should go back and read the Week 4-5-6 posts from 2010. Who knows where this season will go.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, how one feels is even more subjective than evaluating the players, coaches, drafts, plays, et. al., and those are impossible to nail down. Whatever works for the individual is fine - I'm happy with expecting the worst and hoping for the best. 2010 is a good example of one side of the coin, the next year the other side.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? I seem to remember a quite well covered Adams on a back shoulder for a TD, and the pass was off by about 3 feet. Lucky for him Adams saved his ***. Followed by a play where no one was covering Adams in the endzone, and Aaron decides to throw is 6k miles per hour and a foot behind him. Lucky Adams made the adjustment, was a stupid pass considering no one was near him.

I agree 100%

Heard something from TJ Lang on wssp... I also had heard this from another source...

He IS trying to go for the big play to quiet people.

It has been addressed and according to what I heard, he may have finally decided to stop playing that way , and go back to what we expect .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If true then I hope that some how, some way, it helps him hit screen passes accurately as well.
That was my reply . . But what they are refering to is his progression reads. . If 1st isn't there, he wants the big play. And waits and waits and waits

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree 100%

Heard something from TJ Lang on wssp... I also had heard this from another source...

He IS trying to go for the big play to quiet people.

It has been addressed and according to what I heard, he may have finally decided to stop playing that way , and go back to what we expect .
This is a case where listening to the outside noise is not good. It's a double-edge sword for Rodgers. In the past, he has used it to his advantage by having that chip on his shoulder. I hope we see more of the short stuff this week setting up the opportunities for the longer throws. I think the Falcons defense is very vulnerable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no faith in MM at all. Whenever GB gets a big lead, he ALWAYS, and mean ALWAYS, shuts down the offense...I absolutely hate it when coaches choose to take their foot off of the throat of their opponents, and this team has lost its fair share of game by doing so, and will probably lose more because of it...it cost GB a trip to the SB two years ago...

The Packers have a record of 73-3 under McCarthy in games in which they led by at least 14 points at any point.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, if the 'GOAT' has to become a 'game manager' for a while until he gets his feet back under him, fine.
It's about P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is at about the same spot in his career where Favre fell apart for a few years. The difference was that the Pack had Ahman Green to shoulder the load through those years. Rodgers hasn't forgotten how to play and is in a "when" situation instead of an "if" he gets his mojo back.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a record of 73-3 under McCarthy in games in which they led by at least 14 points at any point.
How many of those games did they barely win because of MM taking his foot off the gas? I would say it was quite a few of them, and one they did lose cost them a Lombardi trophy, IMO...

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is at about the same spot in his career where Favre fell apart for a few years. The difference was that the Pack had Ahman Green to shoulder the load through those years. Rodgers hasn't forgotten how to play and is in a "when" situation instead of an "if" he gets his mojo back.
I'm glad you feel confident AR will get his mojo back, I'm not so confident...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of those games did they barely win because of MM taking his foot off the gas? I would say it was quite a few of them, and one they did lose cost them a Lombardi trophy, IMO...
last I checked... barely won looks the same as a landslide in the standings. However, a loss because you didn't burn enough clock and allowed the opponent to get back in the game is still a loss. We don't disagree as much as it may sound, however your argument is so absolute that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

H

HardRightEdge

It has been addressed and according to what I heard, ahe may have finally decided to stop playing that way, and go back to what we expect .
I don't think many expected 56 tosses with 5.8 yds per. The style of play was not an issue to most observers...until it stopped working.

Don't get me wrong. I have no objection to a ball control passing offense if that's what it takes. But it is surely not what is expected.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
last I checked... barely won looks the same as a landslide in the standings. However, a loss because you didn't burn enough clock and allowed the opponent to get back in the game is still a loss. We don't disagree as much as it may sound, however your argument is so absolute that it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
I still say MM shuts down the offense way too much...the Lions game was the perfect example of this...he needs to use the Bilichick approach of never letting up no matter how far ahead the team may be...

Members online

Latest posts