r-e-l-a-x (?)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably wanted to force the Bears to play a dime defense. Just because Ty lines up at RB doesn't mean the defense is going to play base. Put Rip in the game and the Bears can keep a LB on the field. Coaches probably felt that the Bears had better linebackers than corners and wanted to force the Bears to play bad cornerbacks. That's what's awesome about actually being versatile and letting Ty play RB. If the defense stays in base to stop the run, Montgomery can shift out wide and now you have a mismatch with a LB on Ty. If the defense goes to dime then you can run the ball with Montgomery.

Your analysis sounds sensible but they didn't get the td anyway. It just seems to me that in that situation with a big, powerful fullback and a line that could run block on that defense for a 4th and goal at the 1 at that point in the game the Pack probably would have gotten 7 more had Rip been the man on that play.

That game could have been 37-3 for the Packers with a td there, no ARod fumble and no missed PAT and blocked field goal. Now that would have been a game to crow about.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Give it time. There is much to be optimistic about imo. I'm seeing a lot of positives uabout this team. Certainly room for improvement but I'm encouraged by the overall natural talent and the development of our young players. I think we're going to be fine if some of our veteran stars play to expectations.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see any reason to be relaxed because of beating one of the worst teams in the league. It will take a good performance against another contender to accomplish that.

from this game it appeared as though a LARGE part of our offensive problems is the speed of our receivers. NO separation until the second half.

The Packers wide receivers lack of speed is only part of the problem. In addition route running has to significantly improve.

Sorry but we should have beat the Jags by more than 3.

I guess you will be excited to hear that the Packers did. :D

The stats or the facts do show that when teams go for it on 4th down, the majority of the time, they do reach the line they are going for.
Kicking the ball away is always foolish since that is giving the team back the ball and saying, "Here ya go. Score on us."

Do you have any link to a site providing evidence for your statement??? BTW the Packers didn't kick the ball away late in the fourth quarter but tried a field goal on fourth-and-five.

Packers averaged 5.8 yards per pass against the Bears. Last season, when the Packer's offense was one of the worst in the NFL, they averaged 5.8 yards per pass....only difference in Bears game was that the Bears are terrible and were starting their third string QB.

The Packers have significantly changed their offensive scheme over the last two games relying on short, high percentage throws. Therefore yards per attempt isn't a good indicator of the unit's performance.

Now when we play Seattle, Minn, Philly... You're going to need more than 50 5 yard passes to win. Corners like Sherman aren't going to stand back 7 yards and let you do that all day. Bump press has always been hard for this team to handle for whatever reason.

Constantly completing passes of five yards moves the chains no matter which team you're playing. Facing more aggressive cornerbacks it opens up play action passes as well as Rodgers using bump fakes.

I still think you'd need a healthy Shields on mr tall speedy number 11, to have a chance of locking it down.

Unfortunately Shields was placed on injured reserve last week.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have any link to a site providing evidence for your statement??? BTW the Packers didn't kick the ball away late in the fourth quarter but tried a field goal on fourth-and-five.
The thing that gave me this idea, of the odds being in a teams favor when they go for it on fourth down instead of giving the ball back, was this segment of a HS winning football coach which aired on HBO Real Sports.

Take the time to watch it.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You may not agree with that but I would rather see a gutsy GB coach instead of the same old conservative playing to not lose, which looks like we are still playing that way.

Is it any wonder why we keep on losing playoff games, which I expect to happen yet again if we get there?

D

Deleted member 6794

The thing that gave me this idea, of the odds being in a teams favor when they go for it on fourth down instead of giving the ball back, was this segment of a HS winning football coach which aired on HBO Real Sports.

I'm sorry but a high school football coach going for it on fourth down doesn't work as evidence that it's smart to do it in the NFL as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 'relax' stuff has gotten real old. This team has all kinds of issues, #1 being Rodgers decline, #1A being they have no deep passing game. Hey, nice to win the other night, but this isn't a team that will beat the league's better teams.

Reaction score
The Chicago game was practice. The fact we let them stay in the game a whole half was disheartening.
Atlanta has an explosive Offense and Matty Ice will rip this secondary apart if we don't get pressure early and often
On the other hand the Atlanta D is suspect so if Aaron is dealt a hot hand this could be a shootout in OK Corral
Atlanta 33 GB 30

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You may not agree with that but I would rather see a gutsy GB coach instead of the same old conservative playing to not lose, which looks like we are still playing that way.

Is it any wonder why we keep on losing playoff games, which I expect to happen yet again if we get there?
Even IF the stats show that more 4th down attempts are made than not, this in no way suggests that the odds are in your favor simply because you have that decision to make. Logic would suggest that in the select group of plays we are examining, that since the offensive coach decided to make the attempt, he has particular knowledge about things like matchups, scouting reports etc... that would give the offensive team good odds of being successful in moving the chains. If the coach decides not to go for it for similar reasons, these results are not considered in this scenario.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but a high school football coach going for it on fourth down doesn't work as evidence that it's smart to do it in the NFL as well.
Did you watch the segment?
If not yet, you should.
Or at least at the parts with the numbers expert at 7:30 and at 10: 10.

Pro or High School level.
Doesn't matter.
The numbers show that it is foolish to give the ball back to the other team to let them score on punts and kickoffs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even IF the stats show that more 4th down attempts are made than not, this in no way suggests that the odds are in your favor simply because you have that decision to make. Logic would suggest that in the select group of plays we are examining, that since the offensive coach decided to make the attempt, he has particular knowledge about things like matchups, scouting reports etc... that would give the offensive team good odds of being successful in moving the chains. If the coach decides not to go for it for similar reasons, these results are not considered in this scenario.
You are overthinking something that is simple way too much.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are overthinking something that is simple way too much.
No actually I am not, while it is difficult to express it in words that make it easily understood, the bottom line is that Your simplistic opinion that "Teams should just go for it" because you think they should... does not make it a good decision.

D

Deleted member 6794

Did you watch the segment?
If not yet, you should.
Or at least at the parts with the numbers expert at 7:30 and at 10: 10.

Pro or High School level.
Doesn't matter.
The numbers show that it is foolish to give the ball back to the other team to let them score on punts and kickoffs.

I don't have to watch the video to understand that suggesting to go for it on fourth down in the NFL no matter what is a terrible idea.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

McCarthy and Rodgers have lost twice in their time together after having a two score lead. Only twice. (NFC Champ and Bengal game 2013).

It's also not a coincidence both games had plenty of late game mistakes by players that contributed to losing.

They are also 40 something and 1 at home after having any 4th quarter lead.

Yet, some people still like to think the Packer lose all the time after having a lead.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your analysis sounds sensible but they didn't get the td anyway. It just seems to me that in that situation with a big, powerful fullback and a line that could run block on that defense for a 4th and goal at the 1 at that point in the game the Pack probably would have gotten 7 more had Rip been the man on that play.

That game could have been 37-3 for the Packers with a td there, no ARod fumble and no missed PAT and blocked field goal. Now that would have been a game to crow about.

I agree but playing the result doesn't make any sense. I'm just happy McCarthy is trying new things. Sure, it took injuries to force him to start thinking up new ideas but I'll take it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have significantly changed their offensive scheme over the last two games relying on short, high percentage throws. Therefore yards per attempt isn't a good indicator of the unit's performance..

How did the Packers become the only offense that shouldn't have yards per attempt as a good indicator? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'd just like to know what the Packers are doing that no other team in the NFL the past decade has done; because other teams should do it too. I mean, if the Packers can have one of the least efficient passing games in the NFL and yet still have a good offense, then McCarthy has stumbled into one of the biggest offensive breakthroughs of the past two decades.

D

Deleted member 6794

McCarthy and Rodgers have lost twice in their time together after having a two score lead. Only twice. (NFC Champ and Bengal game 2013).

I agree with your conclusion but FYI only 51 teams have lost a game when leading by at least 16 at any point since 2008 with the Packers adding another one at Indianapolis in 2012.

Green Bay having only lost two home games when leading at any point in the fourth quarter over the last nine years is impressive though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is where I disagree with most people. Yes, it was injury that forced our hand to change the offense, but I have never though MM is unimaginative, stupid, blind, or without a plan. He could have been considered stubborn, I prefer to call him committed, because he's smart enough and proven enough for me to choose my words carefully when talking about him.

But what we saw, I thought, was his commitment to making this team better, by making the offense evolve. For a few years now, when it comes to winning one on ones we've come up short. When we've needed to get a first down to close out a nfccg we couldn't. Teams that can rush well with 4 and clog up passing lanes like the giants did, bring the offense to a halt. We needed to be able to run different offenses effectively.

I think MM was forcing them to grow thru adversity. It's no different than anything else in life, if all you ever do is play C,G, and D you can play some good songs, maybe even be famous, but you'll never be Prince, Clapton, Emmanuel, SV or SRV. Not that MM wanted us to struggle, but he recognized we had areas of weakness that needed to be better to compete in January and Feb.

I think last years struggles were different than this years. We have new issues this year and new hurdles to clear. As bad as things were/are, simply having better execution of the plays we did run would have resulted in more offense and more wins.

Long story short, we have work to do, but I have faith in this team and the coaches

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's also not a coincidence both games had plenty of late game mistakes by players that contributed to losing.

Yet, some people still like to think the Packer lose all the time after having a lead.
A lot of people act like it's a crime for a team to run up the score.
Networks will switch to another game when that is happening.
I don't see anything wrong with it.
It is not poor sportsmanship at all.

I was hoping the Packers would do that to the Bears and when they didn't get in the end zone, well, maybe it wasn't McMuffins fault even though it's easy to think it is with the way he has almost blown and blown games by playing not to loose instead of to win. He plays it way too safe.
I'm just worried that as long as he is the HC with his conservative play calling we will not win any more playoff games.
In my book, he is an overrated coach.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have to watch the video to understand that suggesting to go for it on fourth down in the NFL no matter what is a terrible idea.
Is it any more of a terrible idea than a team that has 4th and 1 and all they do is just sit there for the QB to try and draw the defense offsides with a hard count and when they don't budge then the QB has to waste a timeout?
I dunno about you, but I tune in to watch football. To watch these guys play. Not that boring wimpy stuff.

I find it odd at how you asked me to back up my claims with sources and I do and then you just blow it off instead of engaging in any kind of open minded discussion about it.
We may have to agree to disagree but the numbers don't lie.
Stats show that when a team goes for it on 4th and 1, the odds are in their favor with a 75% chance at getting the first down.
Knowing this, it really does make them all look like wimps and idiots when they give the ball back by punting.
They get 4 chances. Why not use all four instead of just 3?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their schedule looks a little softer even than ours from here on out, and they may only have 1-2 losses in there if their D and ST keep playing the way they are. Christmas Eve matchup... hopefully we're keeping up our end of the bargain so it's a real showdown.

Members online

Latest posts