Quinten Rollins

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Gentlemen....Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and to express it within boundaries. That's why this is such a good forum in my honest opinion. :tup:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I assume from the smiley that this isn't as serious as the words would indicate, just as mine had one for the same reason. If so, a few points. I carry the Half Empty label on all the forums so that folks don't need to point out that I'm never satisfied. In this case, I don't hate what Ted did, just want to present a possible alternative for discussion. I'm sure you realize that the flip side of describing a Negative Nellie is describe another group as simply loving everything Ted does and letting it be known, and I doubt if that's really the case.

I understand that folks like me are a minority, but I have never quite grasped why it bothers the half full crowd so much. In things over which I have absolutely no control, such as the Packers' fortunes, I assume the "hope for the best, expect the worst" mantra and am therefore less upset by the 2011 and 2014 seasons; perhaps somewhat less pleased with 2010.

You're pretty close on the lottery ticket. The first thought would be 'why is he giving me a winning ticket?'. The tax thing would come to mind, but primarily as a choice between lump sum and yearly payout. The biggest concern would be "how do I handle this, how do I fend off the leaches, and how do I avoid ending up like all those folks on 'the lottery ruined my life' documentaries?". However, if you do have a winning ticket, I'd be happy to give it a try. :)

As noted above, the contrarian view is not intended to demonstrate intelligence (since, in most cases, there cannot be a right or wrong to discussing sports), but mostly to present the 'yes, however' option to a discussion. I've always been envious of folks who are hard over on any topic, whether important (e.g., gun control, abortion, immigration) or frivolous (e.g., sports). That way, no thought process is involved - if anyone questions my point, they're wrong. Along the same lines, what little hair I have left stands on end when someone concludes a post with "game over", "end of discussion", "game, set, match" or a similar statement that implies there can't possibly be a counter to their argument.

I understand why folks get tired of seeing nothing but my type of comment. I've been banned from one forum and asked not to post to another. However, remember that there are plenty of people who agree with the positive side of almost anything posted, so what does piling on contribute?

The cartoon is cute, but it actually addresses another pet peeve of mine on sports boards. Contrary opinions are often accompanied by the "game over" position that, because someone isn't now a GM, their thoughts aren't as valid. Nobody in this forum is a GM, but certainly not because we all tried and failed; we all just headed in a different direction. Put many of us in TT's position, give us the staff and resources he's got, and a little time, and I'll bet there'd be a number who could be just as successful. Heck, Matt Millen was GM for how long, despite running that franchise into th ground. I didn't choose to become a surgeon, and maybe I wouldn't have made it, but I would still feel confident in pointing out that "hey, you forgot to stop that bleeder before you closed", sort of like "hey, we've got no reliable ILB". :)

Anyhow, if anyone stuck with it long enough to get here, I'm done. Should you want to jump on the pile, feel free. Just want to make sure that the Half-to-Completely-Full folks had an explanation. ;)
Well said and yes, I was having a little fun with you. As a former debater (Lincoln Douglas) I can fully appreciate the the validity of looking at issues/topics from multiple angles. In reality I believe it's the best practice as it allows you to see both sides of the argument. If you keep an open mind you can find yourself forming a new opinion with your newly acquired insight. I didn't mean to offend if I did and am not a fan of lemmings and that my friend you certainly aren't! I can be a sunshine pumper sometimes but in this case I really do like the draft Ted put together but can appreciate the other side of the argument. Judging the draft is like a opinion essay as there's really not a wrong answer. To each their own. I was thinking of another name for you if ever you grow tired of Half Empty. X Files...question everything. It's perfect! Be cool man.

H

HardRightEdge

A glass that contains fluid to 50% of it's capacity is both half full and half empty. The distinction is meaningless.

What's important is whether the glass is leaking or it's being topped off.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether one chooses to criticize or be a cheerleader for TT and MM in some cases isn't as relevant as the quality of the argument. If someone can validate their position with sound reasoning and facts then their views surpass mere opinion. There are situations where TT and MM deserve criticism and other situations where they excel. If they totally sucked they wouldn't have the SB victory nor the winning seasons under their belt. However, given the fact that they have won only one SB with the best QB in the NFL, they can also be criticized for squandering their opportunities.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A glass that contains fluid to 50% of it's capacity is both half full and half empty. The distinction is meaningless.

No smiley, so I don't know if you really feel that way. Working backwards, IMO, the liquid level might be static, and the distinction is meaningless because (1) it speaks to the state of the individual (happy with the fluid in the bottom half or upset that it should be at the top?) and (2) it wouldn't generate so much discussion if it was. :)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gentlemen....Everybody is entitled to an opinion, and to express it within boundaries. That's why this is such a good forum in my honest opinion. :tup:

Agree, but now you've got me intrigued - what's your dishonest opinion? :) (Note the smiley, note the smiley)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether one chooses to criticize or be a cheerleader for TT and MM in some cases isn't as relevant as the quality of the argument. If someone can validate their position with sound reasoning and facts then their views surpass mere opinion. There are situations where TT and MM deserve criticism and other situations where they excel. If they totally sucked they wouldn't have the SB victory nor the winning seasons under their belt. However, given the fact that they have won only one SB with the best QB in the NFL, they can also be criticized for squandering their opportunities.

OK, I obviously could have made my point and been a whole less verbose at the same time. Well done (IMO, of course)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Agree, but now you've got me intrigued - what's your dishonest opinion? :) (Note the smiley, note the smiley)

My dishonest opinion Mr HE, is that you quite enjoy being an antagonist :D....note the grin.

H

HardRightEdge

No smiley, so I don't know if you really feel that way. Working backwards, IMO, the liquid level might be static, and the distinction is meaningless because (1) it speaks to the state of the individual (happy with the fluid in the bottom half or upset that it should be at the top?) and (2) it wouldn't generate so much discussion if it was. :)
I was dead serious. It might speak to the individual but not the situation in fact.

Discussion should come from the varying measurements of the fluid, not hopes and wishes or unsupported negativity.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

A better question is why didn't you just use a glass half the size?

Sky King

Reaction score
If one always had the only correct answers then they could merely spend all their time sitting in a room talking to themselves. Personally, my enjoyment on this forum comes from reading the varied perspectives of others. Opinions aren't right or wrong. They're only wrong when somebody stubbornly insists that their opinions must be accepted as fact.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rollins was targeted 65 times last season and allowed 35 completions for 436 yards and two TDs. He picked off eight passes for a rating of 45.8.

Only three draft-eligible players earned a higher coverage grade over the 2014 season and only two corners a higher overall grade by College Football Focus.

In addition he either picked off (eight) or broke up (eight) 16 passes this season, or 24.6% of the targets sent his way.

I like the pick. While Rollins is extremely raw he has a ton of upside.
Kiper said he can see him being a future Pro Bowler. You can either play the ball or you can't. I don't mind raw especially when the foundations of a stellar player are evident. How about the Patriot kid Malcolm Butler? The one who sealed the deal in the SB. He was undrafted out of a tiny school, West Alabama, and finished the season a SB hero that will have his name mentioned until the end of time. My point is you just never know who's going to do what and the fact that Rollins already has such tremendous ball skills this early on excites the hell out of me! He may bust. He may be middle of that road. He may be a HOF'er by the time it's said and done for all we know?! The bottom line is I love the fact that Coach Whitt gets to work with this kid and I am of the mindset that sky's the limit!

G P G!!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think both our young CBs are the same. Besides physically. 5'11" Bigmac under 200 pounds. about 4.5 speed. But both can tackle good (in college). These types of guys might be considered "tweeners" by some. But we just seen two "tweeners totally change the dynamic of our defense. Hyde and Dix were the catylist that got the veterans playing harder. Burnett definately played better than in years past. Hayward, and Sheilds played with discipline. While Hyde and Dix played fast and hard. One or the other in on every tackle it seemed. Burnett did it all, like Collins, Sharper, and Butler before him. The Burnett investment is paying great dividends.

Sooooo if Hyde, and Dix changed everything. With Williams, and House in the equasion, it was over dose of good CBs and two tweeners that had to be on the field... Now we have two more difference makers, and our lock down CBs are becoming scarce.....

Scarce by design?

I suspect we will see a lot of zone with these tweeners all over the place.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think both our young CBs are the same. Besides physically. 5'11" Bigmac under 200 pounds. about 4.5 speed. But both can tackle good (in college).

Randall is significantly faster than Rollins, on the other hand Rollins is the superior tackler.

Burnett did it all, like Collins, Sharper, and Butler before him.

Collins and Sharper played free safety though.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it appears Mr. Rollins brought his ball hawking capabilities with him from Miami. Look, I know it's rookie camp/orientation but results are results at the end of the day. Yesterday Rollins, as I am sure you've read, jumped a route and picked off Hundley and housed it. Talk about making a statement on your first day in the NFL! I have said it since the pick was made that you either have ball skills or you don't and clearly QRo does. Again, I am not saying he is the next Revis (as discussed in the Ask Vic column on Packers.com) but I am saying that top notch ball skills translate to the league and will help a guy that doesn't run 4.3 compensate for the lack of Sam Shields speed. I'm sure there are going to be some growing pains early next season with all the reshuffling in the back-end but I will be really disappointed if by say Week 4-5 our guys aren't ball-hawking! I am really excited about this kid and his demeanor is fantastic. 5/8/2015: A day that will live forever as it was the first of many pick 6's to come my friends!

G P G!!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it appears Mr. Rollins brought his ball hawking capabilities with him from Miami. Look, I know it's rookie camp/orientation but results are results at the end of the day. Yesterday Rollins, as I am sure you've read, jumped a route and picked off Hundley and housed it. Talk about making a statement on your first day in the NFL! I have said it since the pick was made that you either have ball skills or you don't and clearly QRo does. Again, I am not saying he is the next Revis (as discussed in the Ask Vic column on Packers.com) but I am saying that top notch ball skills translate to the league and will help a guy that doesn't run 4.3 compensate for the lack of Sam Shields speed. I'm sure there are going to be some growing pains early next season with all the reshuffling in the back-end but I will be really disappointed if by say Week 4-5 our guys aren't ball-hawking! I am really excited about this kid and his demeanor is fantastic. 5/8/2015: A day that will live forever as it was the first of many pick 6's to come my friends!

G P G!!

By way of tempering the enthusiasm, he was probably just the first DB in line for that one. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Taking draft & develop to a new extreme.
agreed there sir
So MadCat and The program 61 are against the Rollins pick. I didn't go through the entire thread so is there anyone else that wants to go on the record against it?

I think it was a good pick in spite of Rollins' playing just one college season of football. Of course none of us know what's in store for Rollins, or any other rookie's career, but it will be interesting to look back at this in a few seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I think a lot is being placed on Joe Whitt's shoulders. He's got talent to work with in Randall, Rollins, Goodson, Dix and Hayward. Should be interesting to see how all the pieces fit, and players progress.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So MadCat and The program 61 are against the Rollins pick. I didn't go through the entire thread so is there anyone else that wants to go on the record against it?

I think it was a good pick in spite of Rollins' playing just one college season of football. Of course none of us know what's in store for Rollins, or any other rookie's career, but it will be interesting to look back at this in a few seasons.
I was half joking, with the emphasis on "develop." I am not against the pick.

Members online

Latest posts