Quinn Gray to Sign with Texans - Cheap as well..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I would love for him to come here on a deal like that... wonder what happened here in GB?

Texans | Gray set to sign with team
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:30:54 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free-agent QB Quinn Gray (Jaguars) said he is set to sign a one-year contract with the Houston Texans. The team is giving him a one-year deal worth $635,000, including $40,000 to sign.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I would love for him to come here on a deal like that... wonder what happened here in GB?

KFFL said:

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free-agent QB Quinn Gray (Jaguars) said he is set to sign a one-year contract with the Houston Texans. The team is giving him a one-year deal worth $635,000, including $40,000 to sign.

Man I love the speculation, in the offseason

Damn, that would have been a win-win situation, even if it was a bit more expensive. Oh well, time to move on.

Would have been nice though.

DoddPower

Reaction score

KFFL said:

Check out this comment about Gray:

Good luck with Gray.. He was a cancer in the locker room, trying to undermine the starter... If he only supported the starting QB the way he supported the local Clubs and radio stations maybe our team would have went further than we did..

Maybe that's why he didn't come to Green Bay. Maybe Thompson didn't like his attitude?

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Good luck with Gray.. He was a cancer in the locker room, trying to undermine the starter... If he only supported the starting QB the way he supported the local Clubs and radio stations maybe our team would have went further than we did..

Maybe that's why he didn't come to Green Bay. Maybe Thompson didn't like his attitude?[/quote]

Good find.. that is plausibe. feel better now. ;)

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he is the guy we wanted anyway.
We need a tested veteran that can help coach Rodgers and be a sounding board as well as a backup.
Gray certainly didn't fit that bill.

DoddPower

Reaction score
DoddPower said:

Maybe that's why he didn't come to Green Bay. Maybe Thompson didn't like his attitude?

Good find.. that is plausibe. feel better now. ;)

heh heh, as do I!! I must admit though, considering the circumstances, he played pretty well this year. There has to be something up with him though.

A.) The Jaguars released him. He seemed to be a solid back up to Garradd (sp?) without changing the offense much.

B.) He might not have been that interested in coming to Green Bay, where he would seemingly have a chance at some significant playing time if Rodger's gets injured and he would be stepping into an extremely talented team.

C.) He only signed a cheap one year deal on a team that now has three decent quarterbacks--essentially he's going to have to compete to even be a #2.

Thinking about it, I'm glad he didn't come here. Thanks again TT!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that bothers me is that John McClain is a reporter now. He was such a good cop...

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Green Bay Packer Packers offer QB Quinn Gray a contract? I don't think, I saw or heard a report in the Green Bay media that Packers' GM Ted Thompson offered him a contract.

Green Bay Packers might have a good solid report that Gray was a problem in Jacksonville Jacquars locker room , not just as reporter's thoughts on Quinn.. I think the Packers had Quinn Gray in Green Bay for a work out, which could have been unsatisfactory. I think , Gray signing a 1 year contract for $635,000 and a $40,000 reportmg bonus with Houston Texans answered the question did the Packers really want Quinn Gray.? To me that means a resounding -NO!!The Packers have lots of salary cap money. That Contract Gray signed with the Houston Texans is just about NFL Veteran minimum NFL contract . If the Packers wanted him, that kind of money is no problem for the Packers.

Hammer posted "draft a backup QB".

A rookie Quarterback in the NFL coming to Packers would be a developmental QB. (3rd String)
not a back up (2nd string) to this first year starter Packer QB Aaron Rodgers. The Packers need an experienced NFL QB. to back up QB Aaron Rodgers

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Green Bay Packer Packers offer QB Quinn Gray a contract? I don't think, I saw or heard a report in the Green Bay media that Packers' GM Ted Thompson offered him a contract.

Green Bay Packers might have a good solid report that Gray was a problem in Jacksonville Jacquars locker room , not just as reporter's thoughts on Quinn.. I think the Packers had Quinn Gray in Green Bay for a work out, which could have been unsatisfactory. I think , Gray signing a 1 year contract for $635,000 and a $40,000 reportmg bonus with Houston Texans answered the question did the Packers really want Quinn Gray.? To me that means a resounding -NO!!The Packers have lots of salary cap money. That Contract Gray signed with the Houston Texans is just about NFL Veteran minimum NFL contract . If the Packers wanted him, that kind of money is no problem for the Packers.

Hammer posted "draft a backup QB".

A rookie Quarterback in the NFL coming to Packers would be a developmental QB. (3rd String)
not a back up (2nd string) to this first year starter Packer QB Aaron Rodgers. The Packers need an experienced NFL QB. to back up QB Aaron Rodgers

I think you are right on the money here. Green Bay obviously has the resources to sign a guy like Gray, but TT won't overspend for a guy and if this locker room cancer stuff is true, he probably brought him in to determine if he was Packer People or not. Obviously, we know the answer to that.

I was never sold on the guy anyway. I don't think Rodgers could have learned a whole lot from him. I think that's what TT and MM are looking for most, a guy who will teach Rodgers the ropes and talk to him on the sidelines when things aren't going his way. A vet who has got a bit of gas in the tank in case something catastrophic happens, but mostly is a "Yoda" type player. "Do or do not throw a completion, there is no try."

You won't get that with a rookie.

Members online

Latest posts