Question?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bruce said:
longtimefan said:
I fully agree it did blow up in his face and I recall him saying that guards were easy to replace/or not WORTH the same amount as tackles..

But I can't put the entire blame on just him..He has people he takes advice from just like your boss in the real world....What he does with that advice is another matter..

I know that Brandt has a huge hand in how contracts are done..maybe he had a hard time getting something to fit with Wahle...

But TT does have the power to say do what ever it takes..

Your points are well taken, but Wahle and his agent say Ted showed no interest and made no effort -- that is completely on TT.

Wahle, Mike
View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

OL (#68)

Year: 1998

Carolina Panthers

Round: 2

Henderson, NV

Position: 33

Salary History
2005 1000000.00
2006 2100000.00
2007 2000000.00
2008 3000000.00
2009 3000000.00

per NFLPA.com

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
longtimefan said:
I fully agree it did blow up in his face and I recall him saying that guards were easy to replace/or not WORTH the same amount as tackles..

But I can't put the entire blame on just him..He has people he takes advice from just like your boss in the real world....What he does with that advice is another matter..

I know that Brandt has a huge hand in how contracts are done..maybe he had a hard time getting something to fit with Wahle...

Your points are well taken, but Wahle and his agent say Ted showed no interest and made no effort -- that is completely on TT.

I'm not asking for TT to be hung for his mistakes, but as Bruce and Lare pointed out he must be ACCOUNTABLE for his oversights.

Making excuses saying Wahle wanted to go elsewhere and we didn't have the cap room is not acceptable. When you are in jeopardy of losing both your starting guards, you get the job done, period. TT failed to do so, and at that, had no plan to replace them. It's careless.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Bruce said:
longtimefan said:

Wahle, Mike
View Stats at Players Inc Site

Player Info

Draft Info

OL (#68)

Year: 1998

Carolina Panthers

Round: 2

Henderson, NV

Position: 33

Salary History
2005 1000000.00
2006 2100000.00
2007 2000000.00
2008 3000000.00
2009 3000000.00

per NFLPA.com

Come on, you are making it look like it was IMPOSSIBLE to sign Wahle. You and I both know that you can find a way to get it done. Maybe cut loose some of the slackers, renegotiate some contracts,etc.

It's his job to do that, but he chose to let em both walk because "THE GUARD SPOT IS NOT IMPORTANT"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Zero, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the NFLPA site incorporates the bonus money, those are just base salaries right?

you are correct..just base...

Reaction score
Thanks longtime.

Pyle, I don't think zero was just trying to provide the numbers, not make a point that he couldn't of been signed.

IMO, I think TT must be accountable, but there is a mitigating circumstance in terms of Favre not being sure if he'd come back, because it did effect Whale's decision. But by no means does that mean that TT be given a free pass on this blunder (IMO).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
for the record...i think it was a big mistake letting Wahle go....just wish i was a fly on the wall when they were ( if they were) trying to come up with numbers to keep him

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I'm a believer that anything can be done given the effort. We would have had to work a very tricky contract to get him to stay. Wahle said he and TT did not see eye to eye or something on that line.

Could it have been done? yes, anything can be done.
Should it have been done? hindsight says **** yea and even some say it should have been done before he was cut loose

I have a scenario that could have played out in Ted's head, but everyone would most likely call me a Ted lover or something.

I really think there was more to this then money.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How confident would you feel about the Pack had we had Whale and Rivera going into this season with all of our other changes? I would be stoked to see them back there and my only concern would be with our kickers. Its funny how TT gets Woodson over here but doesn't flip the coin on the OL. Seems to me that CB's NFL life expectancy is less than a Guards, yet our O struggles without a quality OL yet our D did pretty good without Woodson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well our line improved last year with 1 substitution. when Klemm was pulled in around week 10, we suddenly had a nice oline. No it wasnt wahle\ruvera caliber(not many are), but it was improved, and the offense improved.

Now Klemm is like 3rd string(or backup tackle or something), and we have young, athletic players who fit the system(Colledge,Spitz, even Coston).

Reports are that they are doing very well, and we will find out more in a couple weeks when pads come on, and these kids either

A. get pushed around like children
B. Show nasty streaks which we have heard about since drafted

But the reports up to this point are good...so freaking out and predicting the line will suck is ...well...stupid.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
I think he's saying you can't count the Lions as a rebuilding team due to them drafting a WR three years in a row in the first round. And the 'competent' part I think is him saying the Lions Matt Millen & Co are fools.

You got it! :lol:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
I have not got time to jump into this thread with a complete response, but I though it important to remind you that Wahle claims that Ted Thompson would not engage in talks with his agent (they called several times in the months and weeks leading up to his leaving for Carolina) and only made a token offer after releasing him and waiting for Carolina and several teams to call with offers that made Ted's token offer look like the face saving joke that it was. Wahle has consistently said that he never thought for a second that he would not need to renegotiate before his signing bonus and thought for sure it would be keep him or Rivera -- he never for a moment thought GB would let both leave.

GB offered TT a contract. Wahle said so himself. It was with an interview with Wahle last year as the Packers were getting ready to play the Panthers on Monday Night. Wahle and I quote Wahle said "The contract GB was offering was a "joke" compared to what Carolina was offering."

Green Bay made an offer. It just wasn't near in the range as Carolina. If you need to dig up the article it's from the Green Bay Press Gazette.

It is too early to see if Ted recklessly throws money at players -- we have not seen Woodson and his huge contract at any of the workouts and it sure has had a negative effect upon Harris's attitude and work ethic. Further Kampman (knock on wood) has yet to take a snap with his new mega-contract. Remember everyone thought Joe Johnson (who was only 28 at the time) was a top 5 DE when Sherman rolled the dice and signed him. An injury can change things quite fast. Some would argue that signing Driver to a new contract while still under contract set a bad precident and involved risk given his age.

While this is true, Sherman did give poor money to Robert Ferguson, Cledius Hunt, and KGB. The Joe Johnson signing wasn't a bad move, it was just unfortunate that Johnson got injured every other week.

Thompson has rewarded, Donald Driver who in my opinion is worth every penny. Donald Driver is what I would say is the best ro model on the Packers along with Favre. He gives you everything on the field and goes about himself well off the field.

He did give Aaron Kampman a big deal and Kampman again is another hard worker, not known to be lazy and might not be very productive, but gets the job done one way or another. Those 2 signings aren't reckless in my opinion, they're solid signings to two proven players. He also signed a lot of one year deals this year. The one deal I question is Charles Woodson. Time will tell with him.

We went from a playoff team to 4 - 12 under Ted, I am willing to give him time, but think he should be judged by his decisions and the teams performance -- like any GM. So far it has been far from impressive.

That wasn't Ted Thompson's team. He had 14 or 15 players that he brought in to compete. It was mainly still Mike Sherman's players and Mike Sherman's team. Blaming Thompson for a 4-12 team is uncalled for. Should he be part of the reason. Yes a little but for half the fans on this board just despise Thompson for last year and then call him out for not signing any big name players. Then when he does sign big name players, those very same fans then criticize the signings. That’s hypocritical and plain ridiculous. (not you Bruce but they're are some on this board)

If GB goes 8-8 this year, I think that tells you more about Mike McCarthy's ability as a Head Coach than Ted Thompson‘s as a GM. Next season (as in 2007) is the year to judge in my opinion. Thompson will also be approaching the end of his contract. So he'll be fighting for a new one.

Every GM deserves a 3 to 4 year run with a team to get they're players set and ready to work. We now have about 50-50 in Thompson’s guys and still Sherman's guys. It won't surprise me too see a lot of guys brought in by Sherman get cut come training camp and in the next year. Every GM cleans the previous mess so they can bring they're own mess or genius (whatever you want to call it) into play. It's too early to praise him although on paper this off season does look nice and it's too early to rip him apart.

Oh and when Thompson took Rodgers in rnd 1 last year, he put his job along with it in my opinion. Amazing how important a QB can be but Aaron Rodgers is the future of this team and if he's a hit, GB will be as well. If not then I would expect changes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
5 years sounds fair. If he cant get us seriously contending...get da F out.

It was said Ted was wanting Sherman gone because he wanted his 'own' guy. He even hinted towards that being part of the decision process on the firing of Sherman.

Like Ted wanted his 'own' guy. Do you(or anyone) think the man(John Jones) replacing Bob Harlan will fire Ted after a year because he wants his 'own' guy?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah, he doesnt seem the type to say(in so many words) "Bob Harlan was wrong." Jones seems the type to honor that deal...but he will want results..like Harlan.

and besides, TT is all involved in that process. I bet TT kisses major butt with jones. lol.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
nah, he doesnt seem the type to say(in so many words) "Bob Harlan was wrong." Jones seems the type to honor that deal...but he will want results..like Harlan.

and besides, TT is all involved in that process. I bet TT kisses major butt with jones. lol.

I bet he does too. I bet Sherman did to TT as well. The fact that people are actually blaming only TT for last years mess and nobody else is ridiculous. GB has to be smart. they can't let him go too soon like some teams do but they can't keep him here like Matt Millen in Detroit.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:

Wouldn't Jones look like a *******? I mean, hell that's literally biting the hand that feeds you! Harlan hand picks this guy who then says I'm gonna fire YOUR guy because hes not MY guy. Oh snap, do you think that could make Jones hang on to Ted longer than he deserves?

I'm freaking out!! I need to stop thinking...

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Packers look like they have a real good chance at finishing last in the division and he did very little to improve on last years mess.... I give him an A+.
I am really happy with what he has done from the draft to the new coach to the lack of impact free agents to the Javon Walker thing to the way he handled the whole Favre soap opera.
:D

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed.

Charles Woodson who?

Ryan Pickett what? Led the NFC in DT tackles? pshhhh.

Marquand what? played in the superbowl?

Drafted Who? AJ who? Greg Jennings? Runs great routes? Good hands? Pshhh what a waste.

FIRE TT NOW!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
agreed.

Charles Woodson who?

Drafted Who? AJ who? Greg Jennings? Runs great routes? Good hands? Pshhh what a waste.

FIRE TT NOW!

Shhhhhh ... He's speaking out of BearVision. That vision is where Bear 'fans' claim other teams did nothing to make themselves feel better until the pads start clashing.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
agreed.

Charles Woodson who?

FIRE TT NOW!

Yes, Woodson who? Often injured, overrated and overpaid. If you were going to shell out big bucks and over pay someone then he should have given it to Arrington. A LB core of Arrington, Barnett and Hawk would have been pretty damn good.

Ryan Pickett led the NFC in DT tackles? A trivial stat at best.

Marquand played in the Super Bowl? So have thousands of other players. So did Willie Gault and no one is going to say that he was a great WR.

AJ Hawk was a very good pick but I have seen a lot of Packer fans that were not real happy with the rest of their picks this year.

Do you really believe that he did a great job at improving this team?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah. he addressed the offensive line(the coaching change helped as well, cuz players we already had fit the system[coston] ). Klemm was a starting guard last year....now hes a backup tackle...

The defense is solid, i dont care how 'trivial' you think the stats they put up are. lol.

the kicking game is kinda scary, but its not even TC yet.

WRs were addressed. Last year, after javon and driver, it went to hell. Now, after driver, it wont go directly to hell. no its not a all pro depth chart, but guys who can be reliable...oh...and 'big' which the coaching staff\Qb like...but what do they know, phil, u know it all!

but yeah, phil...some of these guys have put up 'trivial' stats, so who cares. lol.wow.

Members online

Latest posts