Question?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure a grade is warranted at this time. What I do see is a new direction this team is going. TT is building a team that will have a stoudt defense and a good running game. He is far from achieving his goal, but has made dramatic improvements at safety and linebacker. I was sick and tired of pretty boys like Darlene Sharpier being more interested in posing from the one big play they made, but ******** up on all of his assignment responsibilities. I was a little upset with losing Walker, but when it comes down to it, Javon was a lot more like Irvin than he was Rice; so I am getting over that one slowly.

If you really take a look, TT is doing what Holmgren did when he got here, and that was build a defense first. I like this approach because it will re-establish Lambeau as a place that nobody wants to play.

Right now he gets a C+, but if we go 9-7 or better this year, you can beef up the grade. So far I am pleased with what I am seeing.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
warhawk.....every team has to rebuild sooner or later. We have been spoiled and put off cleaning house previously because Brett Favre kept us a playoff team for over a dozen years.

Please don't make excuses or feel sorry for TT. Just about every time a new GM is hired it is because the team has hit rock bottom. When TT was actually hired the Packers were divisional champions. As far as addressing the coaching situation is concerned he gave Sherman a two year extension and then fired him that same season. That is how he "addressed the coaching situation". A great GM can turn a team around in 2-3 years now with free agency and the draft. This is his second.....we should improve.

I would bet that you are the only one on this forum that "personally would not want TT's job". Every one of us wants to be the GM of the Green Bay
Packers which is what we are practicing for on this board.

I'm not making excuses for TT. What I was pointing out is that he came on board with the shell of a championship team. There is a big difference. Not all GM's, including MS, have to come in and vitually address every single phase of a football team. Once our offense left us we had nothing left.

Many here would have been happier if TT had gone out and signed four or five big name FA's and spent the money that way. Fix it now and worry about the long term damage later. I happen to believe he is going about it the right way for the longer term even if he has to take heat over it.

The fact that every single position that hasn't been shored up the way we would like to see it is a testimony to how far this team has had to go to catch up.

I'm not making excuses for the guy but I don't expect him to perform miracles either. Beyond Favre, Clifton, Taush, Driver, and maybe Henderson, and Green on offense, Kampman, Barnett, Harris, Collins and maybe KGB and a couple of young DL we were lacking everywhere.

"Well Ted, we're lacking in a lot of areas on offense. We've only got four or five guys that can play some defense. We've got really nobody to back up what we do have out there and our package guys aren't to good either. Our special teams stink, we lost our kicker, and, the punter hasn't done much either. On the other hand our long snapper is back".

"Good luck on your endevours".

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT, at least, should have tried to build a better team around Favre.

With better offensive weapons at WR and a decent offensive line, the Pack would have had a chance to compete now with Favre at the helm.

Now, i'm not so sure. Yes it's good to build the defense, but the offense should have been payed a bit more attention by TT.

imo.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roddy_Alberse said:
With two months left before the regular season starts, how does everyone think TT has done so far as the Packer GM?

There seems to be alot of question marks for various positions such as offensive line, wide receiver, and running backs, and I was wondering how everyone would grade TT up to this point in time?

(Also, there's alot of disrespect and garbage being slung towards #4, and personally I hope that he lights it up this year and shows alot of doubters that they can shove their extreme lack of football knowlege--and their opinions--(hear that pft.com?), up their proverbial *****.)

I think thompson has a lot of work cut out for him. It will take time to judge.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give him an incomplete thus far. While some of the picks from his first draft look promising, that's all there is at this point. I also have no idea how good any of the players from this draft class are, but unless there are two or three perennial Pro Bowlers, I'll have to knock it down a peg because you're supposed to be able to find solid players at the top each round of a draft - the real credit should be given to a guy who, when he has those high picks, turns them into a few impact players.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, as long as everybody else is getting a tired arm patting TT on the back, I'll give an opposing viewpoint.

IMO, most of TT's problems he created himself.

He's the one who fiddled around and didn't sign Franks until Training Camp last year (for the same money Franks was asking for all along).

He's the one who wasted millions of dollars signing Sherman to an extension and then firing him.

He's the one who pissed off Bates by stringing him along until the very end of the HC search. Handled differently he may still be our DC (either way we're still paying him).

He's the one who hasn't addressed the OL problems in 2 years.

He's the one who almost had Favre retire because of his inaction in rebuilding the team.

He's the one who hasn't added a viable starting RB or WR (or any offensive talent for that matter) in the last 2 years, in spite of having $35 million in cap dollars to work with this year.

He's the one who's brought in such stellar free agent talent as Little, Freeman, O'Dwyer, Thompson, Klemm & Franz as well as re-signing great players such as Martin, Ruegamer, Truluck, Navies, Davenport, O'Sullivan & Barry. (Jury's still out on Pickett & Manuel even though it's disconcerting to see Pickett make it onto PFT's All Turd Team.)

He's the one who drafted only one starter last year (amazing, considering the crappy Sherman talent on the roster).

He's the one who caved in to Walker's trade demands.

He's the one who re-signed Driver to an extension with 2 years remaining on his contract, even though he told everyone else he doesn't do that.

He's the one who created the Harris discontent situation by signing an often-injued Woodson to the inflated contract he did.

He's the one who let Longwell walk, though then offering another kicker about the same much money.

Granted, some of these decisions were made based on extenuating circumstances at the time. But regardless, I don't think he's dealing with as many Sherman-created problems at this point as many people seem to believe.

Remember, the one word he mentioned at his first press conference was "accountability".

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
OK, as long as everybody else is getting a tired arm patting TT on the back, I'll give an opposing viewpoint.

IMO, most of TT's problems he created himself.

He's the one who fiddled around and didn't sign Franks until Training Camp last year (for the same money Franks was asking for all along).

He's the one who wasted millions of dollars signing Sherman to an extension and then firing him.

He's the one who pissed off Bates by stringing him along until the very end of the HC search. Handled differently he may still be our DC (either way we're still paying him).

He's the one who hasn't addressed the OL problems in 2 years.

He's the one who almost had Favre retire because of his inaction in rebuilding the team.

He's the one who hasn't added a viable starting RB or WR (or any offensive talent for that matter) in the last 2 years, in spite of having $35 million in cap dollars to work with this year.

He's the one who's brought in such stellar free agent talent as Little, Freeman, O'Dwyer, Thompson, Klemm & Franz as well as re-signing great players such as Martin, Ruegamer, Truluck, Navies, Davenport, O'Sullivan & Barry. (Jury's still out on Pickett & Manuel even though it's disconcerting to see Pickett make it onto PFT's All Turd Team.)

He's the one who drafted only one starter last year (amazing, considering the crappy Sherman talent on the roster).

He's the one who caved in to Walker's trade demands.

He's the one who re-signed Driver to an extension with 2 years remaining on his contract, even though he told everyone else he doesn't do that.

He's the one who created the Harris discontent situation by signing an often-injued Woodson to the inflated contract he did.

He's the one who let Longwell walk, though then offering another kicker about the same much money.

Granted, some of these decisions were made based on extenuating circumstances at the time. But regardless, I don't think he's dealing with as many Sherman-created problems at this point as many people seem to believe.

Remember, the one word he mentioned at his first press conference was "accountability".

Lare, this is an amazingly accurate post! Hats off to you.

I think the point that its TT's job to plan for these situations ahead of time. To many times we get put in a bad spot and the fans give TT a free pass. They pass the problems off on Sherman, unfairly. The majority of your concerns could have been addressed by TT.

1. He's the one who fiddled around and didn't sign Franks until Training Camp last year (for the same money Franks was asking for all along).

TT's Fault!

2. He's the one who wasted millions of dollars signing Sherman to an extension and then firing him.

Now this irks me and I know I will be bombarded by the Anti-Sherman crowd but how can you commit to a guy who has been a winner the majority of his Career and then fire him after one 4-12 season that was caused by a plethora of injuries. It's funny that people let Brett slide because of the injured supporting cast but then they blame Sherman. Not only did he cut bait to soon in my opinion, but he replaced him with a virtual nobody.

TT's Fault!

3. He's the one who pissed off Bates by stringing him along until the very end of the HC search. Handled differently he may still be our DC (either way we're still paying him).

Right on again, Man how I wish Bates would have been given the chance to be the Head Coach. Hell, I wish he was still the DC.

TT's Fault

4. He's the one who hasn't addressed the OL problems in 2 years.

The worst and most boneheaded one of them all. I mean was this is MASTER PLAN for replacing Wahle and Rivera? Colledge and a bunch of late round rookies? Combine this with his "Rebuilding" of the WR's at the same time and I am dumbfounded? It doesn't take a genuis to know that you can't rebuild these to spots at the same time.

TT's Fault

5. He's the one who almost had Favre retire because of his inaction in rebuilding the team.

Agreed again, it's sad when our QB has to force TT's hand to make a team competitive. Shouldn't he want to do that anyways? Did he think Little, O'Dwyer, Thompson, etc were going to make this team competitive or did he bring in a bunch of bargain guys hoping he could strike gold. If he does, Great Job Ted, but, if not he must be held ACCOUNTABLE!

TT's Fault!

6. He's the one who hasn't added a viable starting RB or WR (or any offensive talent for that matter) in the last 2 years, in spite of having $35 million in cap dollars to work with this year.

Again, tight Teddy won't open up the pocketbook.

TT's Fault!

7. He's the one who's brought in such stellar free agent talent as Little, Freeman, O'Dwyer, Thompson, Klemm & Franz as well as re-signing great players such as Martin, Ruegamer, Truluck, Navies, Davenport, O'Sullivan & Barry.

Yeah, this is what we did with the money we could have used to re-sign Wahle last year. On the positive side at least he re-signed the potential all-pro David Martin. That's 500,00 or so we could have gave to Wahle. Take that 500,000 and multiply it by the numbers of stiff TT has paid and we could have resigned Wahle and probably got Bart Starr, and ol 66, to come back and play.

TT's Fault

8. He's the one who drafted only one starter last year (amazing, considering the crappy Sherman talent on the roster).

Yeah we all love Collins but the other guys are a long way from amounting to anything. Great point on Sherman as well.

To early to tell on this one

9. He's the one who caved in to Walker's trade demands.

COMPLETELY CAVED! When this whole WAlker messstarted everyone was saying "Let Him Sit" and then TT gives him away and everyone's like "Great Job TT!" Most of the fans flipped right along with Teddy. Now they will be baffled as to why Al Harris is considering holding out. Gee.....let me think

TT's Fault

10. He's the one who re-signed Driver to an extension with 2 years remaining on his contract, even though he told everyone else he doesn't do that.

Hey, at least he spent some money on a quality guy. To bad he showed how much of a flip-flopper he is

TT's Fault

11. He's the one who created the Harris discontent situation by signing an often-injued Woodson to the inflated contract he did.

Thats actually 2 problems in one. Let's sign a guy who's often injured to a huge contract, well the guy on the other side who plays 16 games a year is not rewarded. I think All should show up and play for his contract but it's sad that Woodson was given so much money. I bett TT never thought of that, because that would take forsight!

TT's Fault!

12. He's the one who let Longwell walk, though then offering another kicker about the same much money.

Yeah but now we have Cundiff...........arghhhhh

TT's Fault!

I don't hate TT, I really don't, I like alot of things he has done, but, the things that he has failed to do seem to me like rookie mistakes.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since it has been asked, here is my assessment of TT's job performance thus far. Some of these points may have already been covered:

Positives:

Improved our Defense:

This is the singlemost important part of building a championship team. The Kampmann, Picket, Manuel and Woodson signings are all either improvements over what we had, or will add much needed depth to a defense that has been ignored for years. The additions of Hawk and Collins through the draft has shown TT has a penchant for drafting quality players.

Eliminated Impending Cap Hell

Last season, TT had his hands tied. GB was strapped for cash, and as a result lost premium guards Wahle and Rivera. However, by being conservative on spending, he has vastly improved our cap situation. It was a bitter pill to swallow but we are in much better financial shape as a result.

Making the Most out of the Walker Fiasco:

TT made the most of a bad situation by trading Walker. Walker could have sat 10 weeks, made a mediochre showing through the last 6 games, and walked as a FA at the end of 2006. Instead of letting this become a possibility, TT dealt him through the draft, and turned the trade into a pile of prospective talent. I liked Walker as a receiver, but objectively TT's move was the best for the team (since the NFLPA negotiated the "T.O. Clause" in the last contract agreement).

Firing Sherman:

Before the pro-Sherman crowd jumps on my back, I just want to say this. MS had a good run as coach of GB. However, MS also had 3 time NFL MVP playing QB for him. Now, did GB have such an awesome record because of Sherman's abilities as HC or because of the gunslinging abilities of Brett Favre? IMO, there is a reason Sherman was unable to obtain a HC gig for 2006, despite his impressive record in GB.

Drafting as a Whole:

TT has shown he is light years ahead of MS when it comes to drafting young talent. He has definately excelled at this part of his job.

Negatives:

Holding on too Tightly to the Pursestrings:

As stated before, TT successfully brought GB out of cap hell. Unfortunately, he refuses to spend money where it is needed. Regardless of what some people would have you believe, there was a lot of talent in the FA that could have improved this team, and we were in a position to afford it. However, TT chose to sign existing talent, while ignoring quality FAs that were available that would have improved GB overall. Only when Brett Favre threatened to walk unless TT did something, did TT sign Woodson to an overpriced contract that alienated Al Harris. While I am happy with Woodson, I still think he is being overpaid by TT, and this signing just showed that TT will only spend money when his hand is being forced. The fact is that if Favre had of announced his retirement, GB would have been the first team ever to be under the minimum salary total for an NFL team.

Ryan Longwell:

Despite blaming holders, weather and/or Acts of God for his missed FGs, Longwell was a clutch kicker and fantasy football favourite for a reason. TT let him walk after one bad season (which seemed to affect every aspect of the 2005 campaign with the exception of the defense). Unfortunately, he had no one in mind to replace Longwell with, and as such our kicking situation is one of the biggest on the team.

Jim Bates:

As stated, the one shining star of the 2005 campaign was the defense. Jim Bates was the one who made this possible. IMO, he should be HC right now. Unfortunately, he is no longer with GB and there is no one to blame but TT for his departure.

Final Grade: C+

All in all, TT has done some good things in GB. He has also made some poor judgements as well. I reserve my opinion until the end of the 2006 season before I decide whether I like or hate the guy. As it is right now, I will give him an optimistic C+.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has shown he is light years ahead of MS when it comes to drafting young talent. He has definately excelled at this part of his job.

That's crazy. In 2 years he has drafted 1 guy who really contributed. Giving him credit for Hawk is insane. It's because our team sucked so bad lastyear that we were in the spot to take him. Sherman never had the luxury of Drafting #5 because the Packers won year after year

Last season, TT had his hands tied. GB was strapped for cash, and as a result lost premium guards Wahle and Rivera. However, by being conservative on spending, he has vastly improved our cap situation. It was a bitter pill to swallow but we are in much better financial shape as a result.

Strapped for cash? When you sign O'Dwyer,Little,Thompson,Freeman,etc, and they contribute nothing this is a good move? Money that could have been used to resign Wahle went to these clowns. We were strapped for cash when TT took over but then he spent what little we had on garbage.

Making the Most out of the Walker Fiasco:

TT made the most of a bad situation by trading Walker. Walker could have sat 10 weeks, made a mediochre showing through the last 6 games, and walked as a FA at the end of 2006. Instead of letting this become a possibility, TT dealt him through the draft, and turned the trade into a pile of prospective talent. I liked Walker as a receiver, but objectively TT's move was the best for the team (since the NFLPA negotiated the "T.O. Clause" in the last contract agreement).

I call this caving in. Walker wanted more money and he got it.....yeah great move TT.....Next is Harris,etc.

Firing Sherman:

Before the pro-Sherman crowd jumps on my back, I just want to say this. MS had a good run as coach of GB. However, MS also had 3 time NFL MVP playing QB for him. Now, did GB have such an awesome record because of Sherman's abilities as HC or because of the gunslinging abilities of Brett Favre? IMO, there is a reason Sherman was unable to obtain a HC gig for 2006, despite his impressive record in GB.

And there is also a reason the McCarthy led SF offense was a disaster.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
That's crazy. In 2 years he has drafted 1 guy who really contributed. Giving him credit for Hawk is insane. It's because our team sucked so bad lastyear that we were in the spot to take him. Sherman never had the luxury of Drafting #5 because the Packers won year after year

Collins was a solid pick. Rodgers, while unproven, was the proper choice at the time especially when your HOF starter is flirting with retirement. Poppinga was showing promise prior to his injury. T-Murph was looking like a solid receiver, unfortunately he had a spinal condition that ended his career (a condition, BTW, which neither TT nor anyone else could have predicted).

Granted only Collins has contributed, but the other players mentioned had the makings of a good draft class. So how can you imply the only two good players TT drafted are Collins and Hawk?

Strapped for cash? When you sign O'Dwyer,Little,Thompson,Freeman,etc, and they contribute nothing this is a good move? Money that could have been used to resign Wahle went to these clowns. We were strapped for cash when TT took over but then he spent what little we had on garbage..

I never said those signings were a good move. I stated TT got us out of impending cap hell. I also said that since getting us out from impending financial disaster, he has done very little to improve the team overall, save for when Favre pointed a gun at his head.

I call this caving in. Walker wanted more money and he got it.....yeah great move TT.....Next is Harris,etc.

Walker would have sat 10 weeks, suited up for 6 and walked out the door a FA at the end of 2006. We would have got nothing for him at all, and TT and the GB organization would have looked like chumps to the media, and hardliners to prospective replacemet receivers. Instead, we got a whack of young talent for dealing Walker, and was ranked by several media pages as the #1 draft class over all.

You may say this is a bad thing, as Walker got the paycheque he cried for. However, you may firxt want to ask Mike Mackenzie for a second opinion about how the "demand a trade" thing works.

And there is also a reason the McCarthy led SF offense was a disaster.

I personally wanted Jim Bates for HC.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Ted Thompson is evolving. Quite honestly, I thought his first year with the Packers was pretty bad, and I made it known here and elsewhere. But I think Ted is beginning to see that a total rebuild job was not necessary and the "Packer Faithful" aren't very patient folks anymore. The modern generation won't tolerate losing like their parents did. I think initially he thought he could come in and do a complete overhaul and everyone would sit by and let him do it without comment. Didn't work that way. But after the Sherman/Bates fiasco, he's righted the ship somewhat. He realized Aaron Rodgers isn't ready yet, so he encourgaged Brett to return one more year. Brett Favre is still their best option at QB, especially since he's under contract. By the end of this year, though, that might not be the case.
The best I can give him is a C-. If the team makes another dumpster dive this year, he won't be able to blame Mike Sherman or anyone else since more and more of the team is "his".

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said: "Walker would have sat 10 weeks, suited up for 6 and walked out the door a FA at the end of 2006. We would have got nothing for him at all, and TT and the GB organization would have looked like chumps to the media, and hardliners to prospective replacemet receivers. Instead, we got a whack of young talent for dealing Walker, and was ranked by several media pages as the #1 draft class over all.

You may say this is a bad thing, as Walker got the paycheque he cried for. However, you may firxt want to ask Mike Mackenzie for a second opinion about how the "demand a trade" thing works."

I also didn't want to see TT "cave", but what you said here summed it up perfectly. I didn't want Walkout to "win", but TT was in a no win situation, and had to do whats best for the team in the long run. This kind of crap is happening all over the NFL, as the premadonnas pull this kind of crap. His choice was let Walkout sit, and get nothing, or get what he could. He got what he could. I honestly think Walkout would have come in after 10 weeks, and faked an injury or at the very least, whinned the rest of the season, causing even more problems.
You can't blame TT for players that act like children, and don't man up!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am on the fence with TT because it seems too early to judge but when you read two well thoughtout arguments from Lare/pyle vs. Anubis I tend to lean toward the Lare/pyle.

Anubis.....you listed as a positive the firing of Sherman. I don't have a problem with that but if that's the case you should list as a negative the throwing away of more than 6 million dollars by extending Sherman's contract less than a year earlier.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
I am on the fence with TT because it seems too early to judge but when you read two well thoughtout arguments from Lare/pyle vs. Anubis I tend to lean toward the Lare/pyle.

Anubis.....you listed as a positive the firing of Sherman. I don't have a problem with that but if that's the case you should list as a negative the throwing away of more than 6 million dollars by extending Sherman's contract less than a year earlier.

I see where you're coming from on extending the contract/6 million but he did what was best for the team. If he hadn't then the coach an players would be wondering what was going on. This extension left little doubt which let the team focus on going 4 - 12 instead of worrying bout their HC.

I see the firing a positive of 10
and the extension a negative of 4

make sense or my 8:08am ramblings confusing u too?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT gave him the bonus as a thank you for the good years.

My problem with Sherman will always be the cheese whiz defense he allowed to matriculate under his regime. You guys can tangent argument every TT transaction all you want, but at the end of the day, Sherman was turning the Packers into a mirror image of the Denny Green Vikings, and that is a team that gets to the playoffs every year, but doesn't have the chops to win because the defense is horrible.

TT is rebuilding the defense, and I for one approve 100%. I just feel a little bad for Brett, because I don't think he will get to go out like Elway, unless he commits to playing 3 more years.

I'll take a good defense and a good running game in a cold weather city any day.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
I think TT gave him the bonus as a thank you for the good years.

My problem with Sherman will always be the cheese whiz defense he allowed to matriculate under his regime. You guys can tangent argument every TT transaction all you want, but at the end of the day, Sherman was turning the Packers into a mirror image of the Denny Green Vikings, and that is a team that gets to the playoffs every year, but doesn't have the chops to win because the defense is horrible.

TT is rebuilding the defense, and I for one approve 100%. I just feel a little bad for Brett, because I don't think he will get to go out like Elway, unless he commits to playing 3 more years.

I'll take a good defense and a good running game in a cold weather city any day.

Those "playoff years" look pretty damn good right about now :lol:

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack my friend, the playoff years under Holmgren look pretty damn good; the Mike Sherman playoff years are very forgetable. If the NFC north championship is the bench mark of success for some of you guys, then I concede the Sherman argument to you guys.

I want to get back to the team whose defense stomped mud holes in people. Winning football games because you get the ball last and you have a good 2 minute drill quarterback isn't good football in my opinion.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SO FAR>>>>>>>let's compare the, Sherman the GM years, to TT the GM years. This is his second year and like I said......losing in the playoffs would feel pretty good right now!!!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
SO FAR>>>>>>>let's compare the, Sherman the GM years, to TT the GM years. This is his second year and like I said......losing in the playoffs would feel pretty good right now!!!

We wouldn't have hardly any of our Draft Picks though. Hawk for sure.

We were making the playoffs on a depleting roster that was not gonna get us far into the playoffs. With losing bad, very badly we got ourselves way high in the draft to build a team stronger and longer.

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to shed light on a different perception.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

We were making the playoffs on a depleting roster that was not gonna get us far into the playoffs. With losing bad, very badly we got ourselves way high in the draft to build a team stronger and longer.

I agree....and I'm HOPING TT accomplishes that, but I'm older than you guys......I lived through the 70's and 80's. Rebuilding doesn't always work out. Just ask the Lions, Cards, Saints etc

In the 70's and 80's just getting into the playoffs was a major treat. Hence the Sherman years weren't as painful to me as they seem to be to you guys! It could get a helluva alot worse......for a loooooong time :roll:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree....and I'm HOPING TT accomplishes that, but I'm older than you guys......I lived through the 70's and 80's. Rebuilding doesn't always work out. Just ask the Lions, Cards, Saints etc

In the 70's and 80's just getting into the playoffs was a major treat. Hence the Sherman years weren't as painful to me as they seem to be to you guys! It could get a helluva alot worse......for a loooooong time :roll:

That's true. I didn't really get 'hooked' on the Packers until the game where the Packers beat the Bears from a scramble then pass by Majik to Sharpe. I think the score was 14 - 13. I was like 8-9. The excitement from that game made me want to see every Packer game hoping it would be that exciting.

I remember hearing about the Packers before that though. In the bars my dad would always say in the first quarter of the game 'hey guys, drink up there's always next year' or something like that and the game wasn't even over! Hell the season wasn't over. It took me a few years to truly understand the comment lol

Or "the pack is back!' ... 'wayyyyy back' ...

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:

True DePack. But with Favre on your team you really should expect alot more than an early exit in the playoffs. Someone mentioned that they feel sorry for Favre because he is not going to go out like Elway, and in my book that's on Wolf, Harlan, Mike Sherman and TT.

Something could have been done to make it happen.

They just didn't "get er done".

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THE most important thing that TT has done/is doing is getting rid of all the friggin nancies that littered our roster and replacing them with tough, hard, dedicated football players. This team, if nothing else, is going to have a toughness to them that we have not seen since the Holmgren years. Too many of MS's picks (those he didn't throw away) were phenomenal athletes who were marginal football players. Someone mentioned earlier a comparison between Denny Green and Sherman...here is another similarity.......both of these guys reached terribly throughout their draft board every year to scrounge up some diamond in the rough who would validate their abilities as GM when they turned these no-name players into stars. And just like Denny Green, most of those guys never panned out.

I will promise you right now....this team will show a significant improvement in mental/physical toughness that will be visibly evident in hard hitting, sound tackling, motor running at full speed intensity.

****, man....Sherman damn near turned us into the Rams...that is how soft this team had become...especially on defense. A bunch of friggin matadors waving capes for the opponents...avoiding contact at all costs.

I will judge the job of TT in several years as that is how long it will take to do so with any integrity. That said...I really like the job he has been doing.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...the 1970s and 1980s were very different in that players were essentially indentured servants to the team that selected them. With unfettered free agency...any team who ponies up will sign impact players. Combined with solid drafting...something that NEVER occurred in the lean years, and any team can turn it around quickly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts