Question regarding traveling to Green Bay in December...

Section444

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My wife and I will be traveling to Green Bay for the Cowboys game on December 13th. Having never been to Green Bay before, I was hoping to gather some information on travel that time of the year. My biggest fear is that there will be an apocalyptic snow storm that will make travel into Green Bay impossible (particularly flyling in). From your experience, are we overreacting, or is that a legitimate concern? We're from the south, so snow is something foreign to us.

Thank you!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hrmmm, well, I hunt the WI deer season in Waupaca, so not too far from Green Bay. WI gun season is towards the end of November, and we've only had snow on the ground at our cabin 1 or 2 years in the last decade. Usually bare ground still. So you *should* be alright, but you never can know until the day comes.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you from Texas? Don't worry about the weather, it will be balmy. Short sleeves should be fine.:)

OP
OP
S

Section444

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am, from D/FW.

I appreciate the replies, I'm really looking forward to the experience.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My wife and I will be traveling to Green Bay for the Cowboys game on December 13th. Having never been to Green Bay before, I was hoping to gather some information on travel that time of the year. My biggest fear is that there will be an apocalyptic snow storm that will make travel into Green Bay impossible (particularly flyling in). From your experience, are we overreacting, or is that a legitimate concern? We're from the south, so snow is something foreign to us.

Thank you!
First and foremost, apocalyptic snow storm in Green Bay means anything over 36 inches. (I may be off on that number.) So, there is that. Could there be heavy snow? Yes. Will it close down Green Bay? I doubt it. Will it close the airports? Might slow them down. People in the area live with snow all winter. We learned to drive in it, take our drivers test on icy roads in the winter, hell, they even drive on frozen lakes. So, while I can understand your apprehension, unless they cancel your flight before you take off, you should be ok.

Just bring layers of clothing, like long johns, flannel shirt, sweeter, warm jacket, and good warm boots, and a hat, and gloves, or better yet, mittens for the cold, and scarf, and don't forget the sunglasses. Because if it snows and the sun comes out........blinding white.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will probably be snow on the ground. The odds of a storm that would prevent a flight on the day of your travel isn't likely, but is possible.

If you're particularly worried and have the time for it, giving yourself an extra day would be safe enough.

As far as during the game itself I second the recommendations from Raptor above. Also, I'd bring something to sit on like a cushion or blanket if you'll have a bleacher seat and waterproof pants.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There will probably be snow on the ground. The odds of a storm that would prevent a flight on the day of your travel isn't likely, but is possible.

If you're particularly worried and have the time for it, giving yourself an extra day would be safe enough.

As far as during the game itself I second the recommendations from Raptor above. Also, I'd bring something to sit on like a cushion or blanket if you'll have a bleacher seat and waterproof pants.
cardboard is sometimes popular too

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From weatherspark.com:

The likelihood of snow falling is highest around December 31, occurring in 50% of days.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Accumulation at this location in December is about as likely as not. The chances of there being snow on the ground are highest around December 31, occurring 51% of the time.

The snow is typically at its deepest on December 31, with a median depth of 3.9"; the depth exceeds 8.6" only one year out of ten.

Anything is possible, but history is on your side. Hope that helps, and enjoy the game.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
cardboard is sometimes popular too

Thick card board for putting on the cement under your feet helps too. Wear good insulated boots, not shoot kickers. I was there on a December night when it just started snowing, the heavy snow came the next day. Here is a pick of how we were dressed. I was warm (followed advice like Raptor's). I even had hand warmers and foot warmers in my gloves and boots. Wool socks help as well. Here are pictures of how we were dressed. My boys were pretty cold most of the evening, because they didn't follow quite all of the advice. (Oh, and watch how much booze you drink if it is really cold. The body metabolizes the booze slower in really cold weather. Then, when you get in the warm...whammo.)

fritothedog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am from Oklahoma and moved up here a few years ago. Down south we got the ice storms. Those were terrible. Up here we get snow. It is much easier to drive on than the sheets of ice that plague the south, if anything falls that is. Which brings me to the next point, down south not much falls and when it does, we weren't prepared for it. Up here, roads get cleared very fast and very well. (Again, the lack of ice makes it a little easier to clear.) You may be overreacting a bit. I have made it just fine through all the snow (I drove home from the Steelers game two years ago after Lambeau looked like a snow globe).

Of course you should be cautious and drive a slower at times, but you will most likely not have anything to worry about. One of the weirdest things for me to get used to up here was seeing white as far as the eyes could see but the roads are completely clear.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
As to gloves. Either get a pair of good ski gloves, or use mittens. Some guys don't like the idea of mittens, but, your fingers are next to each other and the they actually keep your hands warmer than gloves. If you don't want to invest in ski gloves, get several pair of gloves and layer them. Best is a thin cotton next to skin, then wool then leather. Silk next to skin is the ultimate and will keep your hands real warm with a wool layer over the top. When I lived in Superior, WI I worked outside in the winter. I used a red union suit underneath. Cotton on the inside and wool outer. Nice and toasty.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I've found the stretchable one-size-fits-all knit gloves work great, especially as a liner inside another pair. I usually go to the women's department to find them large enough. For deer hunting I have a pair with the fingertips missing over the top of another pair. Put a hand warmer between layers in each palm to curl your fingers in to as needed. Works to rub a cold nose too. Stop by FleetFarm or Shopko to get the hand and toe warmers. Maybe tape the large body warmers to a t-shirt. I also tape toe warmers inside my collar to rub my cheeks against if needed.
If wind is in the offing, you definitely need to stop that. No matter how many layers, if the wind gets through, you are done. For hunting in brisk winds or sleet I've worn cheap plastic rainsuits under my outer layer. Expect it to be destroyed by the cold. Or like Raptor said, leather. Maybe a tight mini for the missus perhaps? ;)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I've found the stretchable one-size-fits-all knit gloves work great, especially as a liner inside another pair. I usually go to the women's department to find them large enough. For deer hunting I have a pair with the fingertips missing over the top of another pair. Put a hand warmer between layers in each palm to curl your fingers in to as needed. Works to rub a cold nose too. Stop by FleetFarm or Shopko to get the hand and toe warmers. Maybe tape the large body warmers to a t-shirt. I also tape toe warmers inside my collar to rub my cheeks against if needed.
If wind is in the offing, you definitely need to stop that. No matter how many layers, if the wind gets through, you are done. For hunting in brisk winds or sleet I've worn cheap plastic rainsuits under my outer layer. Expect it to be destroyed by the cold. Or like Raptor said, leather. Maybe a tight mini for the missus perhaps? ;)
You need something like these.

http://www.walkerglove.com/

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I liked Superior...except that two feet of snow overnight was the norm...and the drive to the Iron Range part of Duluth.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I liked Superior...except that two feet of snow overnight was the norm...and the drive to the Iron Range part of Duluth.
Went to school there. and stayed for about 3 years after. Back then unemployment in the area was about 18%. I was lucky to have a job.

Fwoodpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to the Falcons MNF game at Lambeau last year in December and was well wrapped up - turned out I was far too warm as it was very mild. Probably best to be prepared though, can always take layers off.

Nb. Flying in from the UK for the Cowboys game this year, can't wait. Presume you have your hotel booked as GB is almost full - hopefully not with Cowgirls ;-)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Presume you have your hotel booked as GB is almost full - hopefully not with Cowgirls ;-)

I have no problem with the hotels being full of cowgirls. It's their oil money sugar daddies that come with them I can't abide.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Went to school there. and stayed for about 3 years after. Back then unemployment in the area was about 18%. I was lucky to have a job.

We lived in Superior but both worked in Duluth. Wife got 3/4 up a hill and slid backward 500 ft back down. Haha...goes without saying that Momma wasn't enamored with the area...but she didn't even like living on Lake Michigan in Manitowoc. I think my reason for being has been in a bad mood for... Oh... 30 years or so. :eek:)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We lived in Superior but both worked in Duluth. Wife got 3/4 up a hill and slid backward 500 ft back down. Haha...goes without saying that Momma wasn't enamored with the area...but she didn't even like living on Lake Michigan in Manitowoc. I think my reason for being has been in a bad mood for... Oh... 30 years or so. :eek:)
In Manitowoc right now fo grade school co-ed futbol. 45Deg F with 15mph NE wind. Was mid80s three days ago.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
That which doesn't kill ye, only makes ye stronger? Nah, that's just friggen cold...

SirStoney

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Went to the Falcons MNF game at Lambeau last year in December and was well wrapped up - turned out I was far too warm as it was very mild. Probably best to be prepared though, can always take layers off.

Nb. Flying in from the UK for the Cowboys game this year, can't wait. Presume you have your hotel booked as GB is almost full - hopefully not with Cowgirls ;-)

Having my own solo pilgrimage to Lambeau from the UK to see the Packers vs Cowboys game in December also, could perhaps meet at a tailgate? I'm looking forward to the Lambeau atmosphere and meeting some fellow Packers fans!

Members online

Latest posts