Question regarding Play calling.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was going to ask this in a reply to a previous thread, but I felt it was to important for it to be buried.

Has McCarthy said he would be calling Offensive plays or will that be the responsibility of Jag?

My reasoning is this . . . Sherman record-wise was a good head coach, he just had bad support staff, which he hired. When Sherman DID call plays he did well.

McCarthy was an Offensive Coordinator. Jags was not. Will McCarthy be calling plays or will he leave this duty up to his buddy? Has he stated in any press conferences? If Jag calls the plays is he up to the task? I don't know enough about Jag to answer this question.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question RY. I have seen the past few press conferences and have not heard MM say anything about that yet.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM hasn't actually stated outright - just how things will work - but I gathered from his expressions, that it would be a team (coaches, that is) concept.

By the way Jags balked at Sherman after being fired - it smelled more & more like Mike McKenzie had a legitimate *****, remember that?

Maybe this issue (now buried, probably for all time) appears to be removed from the situaiton - and with new Coaching Staff(s) - the Packers gain a new beginning - the lethargy of the last 5 years is a distant memory, for me - no more wiping the brow, as if there's no certainty of progression - in a game or otherwise... the whole team can now proceed with a blank slate - make their own successes and mistakes....

And, remember it, or not - even ol' Vince Lombardi made his mistakes....
It's just that the rules of football and free agency weren't his to worry about. Lombardi ruled with an iron fist - and all the players will tell you that.

These days? I don't think Ol' Vince would survive the NFL - he'd walk away calling everyone a bunch of panzies - with all this Michael Irvin PC crap going on... and all the "accepted" criminal behavior(s) being applauded by the likes of ESPN - think about it.

So far - with such incidents as when James Lofton got into trouble and with the Mark Chmura incident, and nowadays what happened with Mike McKenzie -- the Packers have managed to at least keep their noses clean --- we all have to be grateful for that. Would you rather have had Michael Irvin playing for the Packers? Not me! Down here in Indy - look what happened to No.24 just before the game.... uh-huh, not liking that caliber of player being allowed around here - but Indy's no clean - squeaky, that is - city... Crime around here is rampant in many neighborhoods.

I'll take these new changes in Green Bay - with a grain of salt... let's see how it works out... I'm looking forward to the Free Agency period and then the Draft ---- TT may end up surprising many of you.

With MM onboard and his knowledge of other players who may become available, along with the FACT that we NOW have some cash in the bank, no thanks to Mike Sherman - it's possible that FA may be a good session for the Packers, this time around!

In the end - I see both Jags & MM calling the plays together - possibly even seeing the both of them out on the side of the field together - staying in the thick of it - rather UN-like Rossley would do.... A good OC assistant can watch the field from above - it don't hurt the OC one friggin bit, to be down there near the blood and sweat which makes a game.... not at all.

I would even bet they let the QB have a say in things aside from changing plays once the clock starts out of necessity - Holmgren used to do it....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was asked at his introduction and he said he probably would call the plays but it would depend on who he hired. Judging from who he hired, MM will call the plays. He hired Jag to put together the running game.

PackFanatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
play calling will be shared listen to the jag // off interview. i am starting to like what MM is doing. all this appeals to #4 coming back and also when we hire the new DC you can bet they wont use the prevent D which prevents nothing

Members online

Latest posts