Question Here

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no he could not negate, if the Chargers decided to trade him to the Packers the Packers would own the rights to him, he could however hold out the last season of the contract which was transferred to the Packers and then go into the FA in 2008.

Or he could just refuse to sign a contract extension with the Packers, play one season here and then go into the FA.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah im sure in the early negotiations, a contract extension would be agreed upon before any signings actually took place. but if he didnt want to play in green bay and we traded anyway, he would deny an extension and we would own him for the year. he could retire or just hold out. and we couldnt do anything except try and get money back. i dont think hes the type to deny a trade.... and hes been a back up to a star RB, im sure he wants to get his chance to start no matter where that might be.

ill go ahead and get this topic going in the direction its bound for.

trade for moss. OR

TT FREAKIN SUCKS...

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has to play a certain percentage of the season (I think its 6 games) to get the year vested towards free agency. Therefore, if he held out the entire year, we would still own his rights.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Pack did swing a deal for Turner, could Turner negate the deal if he didn't want to come to Green Bay?

Actually some players have such clauses written into their contracts, so it's possible with some players.

Of course Turner is not currently under contract, so that is not the case for him. If we traded for him, then he would be in the same situation with GB as he is with SD -- sign a new contract, sign the 1 year tender or hold-out.

In the end, I think Turner would at least sign the 1 year tender and play the season. The bet for him would be that he'd prove himself as a good starter and earn big bucks as a FA next year. On the other hand, if GB offered him a good 4-5 year deal, then he may jump on it to secure his future in case of an injury.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
ill go ahead and get this topic going in the direction its bound for.

trade for moss. OR

TT FREAKIN SUCKS...

NICE TRY:)

Actually a trade to GB might not be in his best interest, if he stays put in SD and racks put another great stat year (6 ypc) he would be set for a premier FA slot next year. If he comes here and struggles in a new system or a developing offense, his potential value would drop considerably.

So if I was in his shoes, it would be stay in SD (not much he can do but pray) or sign a long term deal with a new team capitalizing as much as I can on the value I have. Say a 3 to 4 year deal and hit FA again when I still can pull down another good contract.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think hes the type to deny a trade.... and hes been a back up to a star RB, im sure he wants to get his chance to start no matter where that might be.

I agree. He's been stuck behind the best tailback in the league for years now and thats why he isnt starting. I think he is good enough to be a starter for sure.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tend to look at things with a positive twist so I'm going to say he would like coming to GB and welcome the chance he would have here.

1) MM isn't kidding when he says he wants an effective running game.

2) The young guys on the line will do nothing but improve.

3) The zone blocking system produces for those RB's whose style fits.

We can stratagize all we want but the best way to get paid is pile up yards and I would suspect after getting 5 or 6 one hundred yard games out of guys last year he would kick tail here.

I wonder how many yards Turner would have had in that game last year that Herron broke 100. I can't guess but it would have been A LOT.

Members online

Latest posts