Question for Direct TV NFL package users

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually average 30mb on a 60mb connection, though usually I'm not even 10 feet away from the router, and it deprecates from there

Exactly which 802.11[letter] you're using will matter, but I wouldn't be surprised if you're getting the real-world-max for the implementation you're using.

Good old 802.11b, for example, was rated for 11MB. Not fast, but still faster than 10-BaseT, ie, the original ethernet over twisted pair. However, that speed is more or less "dummy mode on" and the further up the OSI stack you go to get extravagant features like "IP addresses" and "UDP" (ie, the basic things your computer needs to actual fling bits over the internet) the more that speed drops. ~5MB was the actual, usable max throughput.

802.11g, which probably the most common right now, tops out at 54MB theoretical. The 30MB you're getting is likely the real-world-max.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerfaninCarolina -

I believe you have that right.

I'm in the Buffalo area and I just signed in to Fox Sports Go with my Time Warner Cable password for free.

A cursory review of today's program lineup shows the same stuff being broadcast on the Fox Sports 1 channel on cable. I see only one broadcast per time slot, and needless to say I did not see the Packer/Chiefs game listed for tomorrow.

If I recall correctly, DirecTV paid in the neighborhood of $1 billion over some years for the exclusive rights to broadcast out-of-area NFL games live with the Sunday Ticket. I don't believe there's any other legal way to get those games.

I've not usually seen local Fox channel games listed the day before on Fox Sports Go.

Anyway, I've found this

http://ts.data.foxsports.com/fsdms-static/manual/fsdms_faq

Looks like you CAN watch Fox nfl games on there, but there are device restrictions as it says.

Also to answer that question, yes CBS is taking over Thursday Night Football for the first 8 weeks, they did say that those games would be simulcasted on the NFL Network as well. So far they've only locked into a 1-year contract on this with the potential to expand this if the ratings go as expected.

OP
OP
Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I've not usually seen local Fox channel games listed the day before on Fox Sports Go.

Anyway, I've found this

Looks like you CAN watch Fox nfl games on there, but there are device restrictions as it says.

Also to answer that question, yes CBS is taking over Thursday Night Football for the first 8 weeks, they did say that those games would be simulcasted on the NFL Network as well. So far they've only locked into a 1-year contract on this with the potential to expand this if the ratings go as expected.

Where in Carolina are you at?

H

HardRightEdge

Anyway, I've found this

Your link says this:

"NFL games broadcast on FOX Sports are available in FOX Sports GO on desktop web and tablets. Due to league restrictions, NFL games are not available in FOX Sports GO on phones.*

*You need to receive these channels in your TV channel line-up in order to watch them on FOX Sports GO. Note that some channels may not yet be available for every TV Provider or on every platform."

This is interesting because there are no NFL games broadcast on either Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2 in my TV channel lineup for this coming Sunday. In fact, I've never seen an NFL game broadcast on the Fox Sports 1 or 2 channels. And what I see on Fox Sports Go is mirroring Fox Sports 1. So, I continue to see no evidence Fox Sports Go will give me anything I don't already get on my TV, while it is not even showing the two Fox games I will be getting on my TV on the Fox flagship channel.

The Fox Sports Go schedule shows I'll be treated to a monster truck pull and a Germany vs. Scotland soccer match while Fox NFL games are on my TV.

Unless somebody can produce any evidence to the contrary, Fox Sports Go is nothing more than a way to watch the Fox Sports Channel(s) programming on a portable device or a computer, which seem to broadcast a lot of soccer, UFC, junk sports, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

As to the topic of getting live out-of-market games NFL regular season games, i.e., games not shown on your TV, regardless of device, which was I think the original question, DirecTV holds those exclusive rights through 2014 at a cost to them of $1 billion for this season.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB123786503490122053

The exception is the Red Zone channel which switches back and forth between games as likely scoring opportunities arise. Whether the NFL sold that to any cable providers, I could only say Time Warner Cable does not carry it in basic or second tier channel lineups. But that's not the issue at hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yay this works. Watching the Falcons and Saints game on it right now. Good news is I can get the WITI channel on this too so I can watch all Packer home games on Fox.

What sucks is CBS Sports has not put the CBSSportsGo app out yet, which means I gotta rely on .... well other means of subpar quality to watch the Packers vs Jets and Patriots games.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Yay this works. Watching the Falcons and Saints game on it right now. Good news is I can get the WITI channel on this too so I can watch all Packer home games on Fox.

What sucks is CBS Sports has not put the CBSSportsGo app out yet, which means I gotta rely on .... well other means of subpar quality to watch the Packers vs Jets and Patriots games.
That was your market game. FOX can not stream out-of market games to your phone or tab....only DTV can.

Verizon can do Thursday night games with a deal they have with NFL network

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was your market game. FOX can not stream out-of market games to your phone or tab....only DTV can.

Verizon can do Thursday night games with a deal they have with NFL network

Yeah I know, I was just saying I figured out it does work to watch NFL games on. Believe it or not there are ways to cut the corners on local market restrictions, but I don't know what the legal ramifications on those are, so ... I'll just say if you know about IP address switching, you can look into that, but you're on your own there.

Members online

Latest posts