1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Question for autograph/memorabilia collectors

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by weeds, Apr 7, 2013.

1. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Obviously, I'm not much into memorabilia, but here's the story and maybe someone in the know can educate me.

My employer made a sizeable donation to a "fund raiser" type raffle for a kid with cancer and the company's name was drawn to win an autographed Aaron Rodgers football...ostensibly donated by the Packers (I've heard that they're fantastic for this kind of thing).

Now, if the company were to 're-raffle' the ball as an additional fund raiser for the kid...I have to ask, is there such a thing as a "mechanically" signed ball? The collector's websites I've hit seem to place a premium on "hand signed" balls which makes me ask whether or not there is an alternative.

I understand that "franking machines" exist, so , if the Packers donate a ball ... is there a chance that ball was signed mechanically? I haven't seen it yet and do not know if there is a letter of authenticity yet.

2. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    There has to be a letter of authenticity. The Packers have a program, in which. Packers players sign football for uses in various Charities fund raising. A group of Packer fans buy the footballs and donate the footballs, that are used in Charity fund raising programs.

My ex son in law put a $500 bid in for one of these football signed by Brett Favre years back and got the football .
    The football was used in an auction held by charitable group for children with cancer . There was a letter of authenticity, that came with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Thanks PWT. Appreciate it.

Frankly, it'd be a cold, cold day in hell when I'd pay that much for anything like that, but what the heck.

My brother in law had like a 6" section of the goal post from the Ice Bowl ... and LOST it... no idea where in the heck it went. :) Poor bastige...

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    To answer your question yes. You will see team signed balls. "Team signed balls" done by someone who works for the team but not the players, team signed balls with both, and then a team signed ball that was just etched into the ball by a machine.

A COA by the packers doesn't make the item authentic, I have COAs from the packers and nfl on items I have reason to believe are not what they say they are

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    99.9% of purchasers will be happy with a Packers or player COA. Otherwise there are individuals and companies that authenticate autographs

6. DevilDon

DevilDon Inclement Weather Fan

Ratings:
    +445
    If the ball was donated by the Packers and came with a Packers COA it's for real. The Packers are superb at this type of thing. My nephew died young and the Packers donated several items for the fundraiser.
    If you're buying from a sports memorabilia shop with COAs rather than an individual (Ebay) you're far more likely to be getting the real deal.
    The Packers would never give away a Rodgers signed ball for a charity event that was not hand signed. They are quite generous with this type of thing.

7. Chicocheese

Chicocheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +209
    I concur that it is more than likely real. It could be a "clubhouse signature." but I doubt it. If it came from the Rodgers, from the Packers there is very little chance that they said "Just have a secretary or rep sign it like Aaron would." Especially since Aaron does a lot of work with children who either have, or have just survived many different types of illnesses.

8. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,014
    You would be surprised at how much they have messed up in the years they have gotten involved with memorabilia

9. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,424
    Hopefully the Packers didn't just have Willy the groundskeeper legally change his name to Aaron Rodgers so that he could sign footballs! :D

10. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,058
    Thanks for the input guys.

11. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +827
    Hey, cool idea. Thanks. I' think I'll change my name to "Aaron Rodger Payton Manning Tom Brady".